Closest people to somalis

Som

VIP
Which ethnicity is the most similar to Somalis from a genetic point of view?
I'm going to list a few afroasiatic groups , please ignore languages and focus on genetic similarities

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Somalis aren't that homogeneous looking as I initially thought. We might share the same genes and lineage but our weak phenotype goes wherever the wind blows that day.

Some look more related to south cushitic tribes, some look Oromo and others look look Harari/northern Habesh (not Bantu Amharic).

It isn't specific to clans btw. Really wish I had the time to really get into our genes and its history.

Apollo

VIP
None of them are particularly close to Somalis.

The Afar-Saho are strangely admixed with Habeshas, especially the Saho.
The Rendille are admixed with the Samburu and to a lesser degree Omotics.
Oromos are admixed with Habeshas and Omotics, both significantly.

Ethnic Somalis are one of the most genetically unique groups in the Horn with no super close kin.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
None of them are particularly close to Somalis.

The Afar-Saho are strangely admixed with Habeshas, especially the Saho.
The Rendille are admixed with the Samburu and to a lesser degree Omotics.
Oromos are admixed with Habeshas and Omotics, both significantly.

Ethnic Somalis are one of the most genetically unique groups in the Horn with no super close kin.

I think he means the closest. I would say Afar-Saho because they are culturally, linguistically, religiously and phenotypically very similar to us Somalis.

I've been to Djibouti and it was hard to identify who was Issa or Afar. I'm not even kidding.
:gucciwhat:

I think he means the closest. I would say Afar-Saho because they are culturally, linguistically, religiously and phenotypically very similar to us Somalis.

I've been to Djibouti and it was hard to identify who was Issa or Afar. I'm not even kidding.
:gucciwhat:
Phenotype is surface level. We can observe Hararis that look like Somalis, but aren't as genetically close to Somalis like other groups.

Genetically, I'd say Afar-Saho are the closest.

World

VIP
Afars look a bit different to Somalis. I have seen quite a few them of them, and they tend to be shorter with square heads.

this question gets asked every fortnight lmao. to spin it a bit, who do you think would answer with somali if they were asked the same? would be an interesting set of results, as the general somewhat negative somali reputation means people are less likely to want to be associated with them and answer wrongly, even though there are striking similarities and likenesses with neighboring people groups.

southside

Hiiraan
this question gets asked every fortnight lmao. to spin it a bit, who do you think would answer with somali if they were asked the same? would be an interesting set of results, as the general somewhat negative somali reputation means people are less likely to want to be associated with them and answer wrongly, even though there are striking similarities and likenesses with neighboring people groups.
have some confidence sxb every community has negative stereotypes but at the end of the day its stereotypes and doesn't represent a whole community, you'll forever be miserable by looking for outside validation and worrying about the people that dislike you

Apollo

VIP
Afars look a bit different to Somalis. I have seen quite a few them of them, and they tend to be shorter with square heads.

Raxanweyn ethnic Somalis and the Garre are almost a separate ethnic group (due to their unique language). I would say they are the closest to Somalis (Darods-Dir-Isaaq-Hawiye).

have some confidence sxb every community has negative stereotypes but at the end of the day its stereotypes and doesn't represent a whole community, you'll forever be miserable by looking for outside validation and worrying about the people that dislike you

at what point did i speak from personal experience for you to infer my confidence levels? im speaking about in general, and if you don't think there's a collective negative reputation then i dont know for you. all im saying is if you ask someone who may in fact be ethnically close to somalis the same question, their answers may be skewed from reality. just fax g

Apollo

VIP
rahanweyns are somalis akhi they do not count

Before the country of Somalia existed, their language had much less Maxaa loanwords and was more incomprehensible. Now they have loaned too much Maxaa words and it seems like a Somali dialect instead of a separate language.

They are like what Portuguese (Maay) are to Spaniards (Maxaa).

at what point did i speak from personal experience for you to infer my confidence levels? im speaking about in general, and if you don't think there's a collective negative reputation surrounding somalis then i dont know for you. all im saying is if you ask someone who may in fact be ethnically close to somalis the same question, their answers may be skewed from reality via explicit or implicit bias. just fax g

Trending