Chinese Worker have a conversation with a Congolese man about his country

The Congo was mainly a private colony of the Belgian royal family, unlike most other colonies in Africa where European governments were much more involved. So the Belgian state did not benefit as much from it as the royals did.

Also, the French part (Wallonia) did most of the colonizing in Africa and benefited from it the most, but nowadays everything has flipped in Belgium. The Dutch part (Flanders) is much better off while the French part (Wallonia) is one of the WORST regions in Northwestern Europe. @Periplus @Odayga_Jabuuti this is why I think the further we get away from the colonial era, the less and less it explains current dynamics.

The wealth of Belgium isn't based on Congo's stolen wealth (especially not Flanders) and the chaos in the Congo now has little to do with the colonial past and has more to do with tribal warfare over minerals in Eastern Congo used by big tech.

I certainly agree with all of that and would add that the U.S. overthrow of Patrice Lumumba better explains the DRCs current condition and level of development rather than the devastation wrought by the Belgian royals during the colonial period.

I wasn't ascribing Belgium's current wealth to its conduct in the DRC.

The thematic hinge of my post was meant to emphasise the importance of using history to forge a new society... a society that is significantly more vigilant, better protected and better prepared for threats.

I've pointed it out before, and I really do believe that it bears repeating... China's teaching of the 'century of humiliation' serves as a blueprint for the African Continent -- especially in how Africa should look back at its past and how it should interact with others in the present.

Tragedies should always be put to good use; and in Africa's case it should be used to put a torch to everything about us that allowed us to to be humiliated like that.

I would go so far as to institute compulsory classes on realpolitik, history and the economic interests of the State in every university and vocational course.

Last edited:
The Congo is just a place where you xoog the locals into looting their resources so that you can benefit. Sad history. But the Europeans had the strength, resources and will to do what they wanted during a time where Human morality was nonexistent, no international human rights or Nuremberg human rights decree. Everyman is for himself and for his own family and nations interest in this cruel world. The Congo’s history is sad, but at the end of the day, Humans are selfish and self interested people. Somalis should embrace economic pan Africanism and loot the Congo just like the chocolate loving Belgians but less brutal this time
giphy.gif

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Why is this man speaking like Congo was doing good under Belgium. They were treated like wild animals that they used to hunt for game. Nacala who is this man to speak like that on Congolese soil.
OFF WITH HIS HEAD!
Africans and their damn docile-ness
E8D23366-0B21-40FE-A954-43F3AE13BB19.jpeg

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
The Congo was mainly a private colony of the Belgian royal family, unlike most other colonies in Africa where European governments were much more involved. So the Belgian state did not benefit as much from it as the royals did.

Also, the French part (Wallonia) did most of the colonizing in Africa and benefited from it the most, but nowadays everything has flipped in Belgium. The Dutch part (Flanders) is much better off while the French part (Wallonia) is one of the WORST regions in Northwestern Europe. @Periplus @Odayga_Jabuuti this is why I think the further we get away from the colonial era, the less and less it explains current dynamics.

The wealth of Belgium isn't based on Congo's stolen wealth (especially not Flanders) and the chaos in the Congo now has little to do with the colonial past and has more to do with tribal warfare over minerals in Eastern Congo used by big tech.

Sorry for the late response walaal but...

Sxb, post-colonialism does not try to link every thing to colonisation, the name is somewhat misleading.

It essentially looks at everything that has been caused as a flow on effect of colonisation. A post-colonial society strives to eliminate the negative remnants of colonisation both in former colonies and colonial powers.

Stuff like police brutality or cricket are seen through the lens of post-colonialism.

However, for that to happen, many of these nations need a renaissance, as most knowledge or progress has been a flow on effect of colonialisation.

So we can be 1000 years after colonisation but still require post-colonial study.

That's an infuriating picture. The Belgians committed so many horrors and depredations on the DRC and yet their reputation remains intact; they're known as this quirky, chocolate-loving little Country that inexplicably functions without Governments for months on end.

Every child in the DRC should be intimately aware of what happened to their Nation and to resolve to never permit a repeat when they get older.

Wasn't there a Genocide committed in the Congo by the Belgian Colonizers?And why is that little known outside the Congo?

I think not just DRC children but even Belgian children should learn and aware of what happens as well if we don't want a repeat.In fact I think it's probably a sad fact that far more Congolese know about this History then Belgians even do sadly.I even bet many Belgians aren't even aware of what happened..

Anyway I would have assassinated that men if he talked like this in my soil, that African men should sent a hit squad for insulting my pride, Why are Africans that are not somali docile to non-blacks. Chinese should learn decorum at least an cadaan would not insult you whilst stealing your resources,
Had you seen the full Doc you'd understand where his frustration comes from. Basically his government tasked his company for a construction project. The government laws, regulations and even average people giving him a hard time. That's why he's irritated by the complicity of the whole population.

In his defense though one of the workers fixed the window of car they used to move around and he complemented him for his initiative. The Belgian accupation and the foreign intervention have not been kind to the Congolese people.

Very interesting. He had a point though. Depending on how corrupt the institutions are, it can take a long time post-independence to improve.

As difficult as it was to hear, the Chinese man is saying what a lot of East Asians and other countries are thinking.

Trending