Chinese (Song Dynasty) Trade Mission In Somalia (995-1081)

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
Nothing magical really. All i did is using search alongside google translate and bit of intuition.
Here is the first link.

Text says

早在八世纪,中国已和泽拉港通航,当时在贾耽( 730 年— 805 年)记录的航线中叫三兰国,被当作印度洋西部地区中国帆船航线最南的终点港。所以三麻兰国的中心是泽拉。

Translation:

Romanization of the kingdom.

三麻兰国的中心是泽拉。

Sān má lán guó de zhōngxīn shì zé lā.

The center of the Sammaran/sammalan Kingdom is Zela.
Shit so Somali kingdom as early as 730s
Lets Go GIF by Billboard Music Awards

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
Nothing magical really. All i did is using search alongside google translate and bit of intuition.
Here is the first link.

Text says

早在八世纪,中国已和泽拉港通航,当时在贾耽( 730 年— 805 年)记录的航线中叫三兰国,被当作印度洋西部地区中国帆船航线最南的终点港。所以三麻兰国的中心是泽拉。

Translation:

Romanization of the kingdom.

三麻兰国的中心是泽拉。

Sān má lán guó de zhōngxīn shì zé lā.

The center of the Sammaran/sammalan Kingdom is Zela.
@Three Moons Sxb can y'all gathered exact pages on this, friend of mine is making wiki

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

 
@Three Moons Sxb can y'all gathered few pages on this, friend of mine is making wiki
This what i could do for now, the thing is i couldn't find the original source and all i saw was reference to jia dan's book writing in the eighth century on top of that all the sources on google books are currently limited. not to mention everything is writing in mandarin.

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
This what i could do for now, the thing is i couldn't find the original source and all i saw was reference to jia dan's book writing in the sixth century on top of that all the sources on google books are currently limited. not to mention everything is writing in mandarin.
Okay bro, contact me if u find any 👍

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
This would have to rewrite much of what we know about somali trade in the indian ocean. If somali merchant fleets made it all the way to china what about indonesia or closer yet indian? Somalis weren't a small player on the world stage there must be more account of somali merchant all over the indian ocean.
I can’t really say when we first started trading/travelling in the Indian Ocean, as that prob goes all the way back to pre historic times like how people sailed in the Mediterranean/Red Sea, but what I can say is that Somalis were a big player in the international trading scene since Punt. When the Greeks/Romans were documenting trades in the Indian/Red Sea, their texts implied it was Somalis rather than Arabs, Indians or Axumites who were dominating the seafaring routes from India to Arabia all the way over to the Red Sea.
IMG_2155.jpeg

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
Yeah it makes zero sense now that you bring this up I remember reading in Futah Al Habesh that the Imam's army encountered a group of polytheists (possible waaqists?) near Shewa on their way to karbash the habesh. So much for an Islamic Emirate in Shewa if there were still pagans in the area well into the 16th century
Yes but they weren't waaqists
the imam sent an expedition to argubba (argobbas) in dawaro to islamize them
20231116_071332.jpg
20231116_071318.jpg

Those same people will tell you today they were walashama
damn.png

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
This what i could do for now, the thing is i couldn't find the original source and all i saw was reference to jia dan's book writing in the eighth century on top of that all the sources on google books are currently limited. not to mention everything is writing in mandarin.
You can get the ebook in google play, am gonna buy it and see what I can do with it
Screenshot_20231116-065904_Google Play Store.jpg

Garaad diinle

 
@Garaad diinle a somali mentioned by name
Oh boy turns out we've found a treasure trove kkk. His name is abdullah so he is a muslim and his nisba is somali. This proves that islam was deeply rooted in northern somalia at that point and was the official state religion but i shouldn't be that surprised after all there were records of some hajj caravan from zeila that came to mecca around that time period.

AFJ7HHU.jpg

Am-i here likely stands for amir i came across one source that called the king of samalan amir of zeila. It seemes to be an actual envoy sent by a respected king to the chinese court. There is lots of archaeological work that needs to be done in northern somalia. Here is a map of the approximate location of 三兰国 sanlan/samalan according to the chinese. Of course it should be up around zeila.

f6rDGEV.jpg

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
You guys have pushed back the first use of the word Somali by at-least 400 years to the 11th century, that’s pretty impressive.

Imagine what a dedicated Somali-focused and multilingual research team with government funding could do when accessing the various foreign libraries containing ancient manuscripts!

Incredible stuff.

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
Oh boy turns out we've found a treasure trove kkk. His name is abdullah so he is a muslim and his nisba is somali. This proves that islam was deeply rooted in northern somalia at that point and was the official state religion but i shouldn't be that surprised after all there were records of some hajj caravan from zeila that came to mecca around that time period.

AFJ7HHU.jpg

Am-i here likely stands for amir i came across one source that called the king of samalan amir of zeila. It seemes to be an actual envoy sent by a respected king to the chinese court. There is lots of archaeological work that needs to be done in northern somalia. Here is a map of the approximate location of 三兰国 sanlan/samalan according to the chinese. Of course it should be up around zeila.

f6rDGEV.jpg
The map is pointing towards mogadishu tho?