China overtaking the US in Gene Editing due to less religious baggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Funniest passage in the article which gives you an idea of who is shaping cutting edge biological research in the US;
"
Mildred Cho, a Stanford University bioethicist on the committee, requested Penn describe the trial as “gene transfer” instead of “gene therapy,” which she says implied effective treatment, not experimentation. The investigators complied.

“We want to make sure everyone knows this is an experiment and not a cure,” says Laurie Zoloth, dean of the University of Chicago Divinity School and a bioethicist on the committee. “Especially with end-stage cancer, the intervention can be grueling. Experiments can fail, and in ways that can be terrible.”

Bioethicists, people who practice fake science, are making decisions in the US. While in China experiments are given the green light in an afternoon.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-unhampered-by-rules-races-ahead-in-gene-editing-trials-1516562360

China, are now innovating so much in the Sciences, its great. They're no more copying and stealing from the west but are researching and innovating like no tomorrow.

Meanwhile in Somalia, trainee doctors aren't allowed to use dead Somali bodies for practice because of religious reasons and have to spend 1000s of dollars importing them.

If the person was a criminal, then its fine imo. We need our ppl to advance in medicine/science and we can't limit ourselves in innovating with religion.

The early muslims were advanced in surgery, medicine, architecture and science and now present day muslims are using the religion to unnecessarily hinder themselves from progress and innovation.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I know they copied almost all the fundamental science and math from the east. But I'm talking more about adding to the modern sciences and research of present.

They don't have the same moral dilemmas holding them back like modern western scientists. This means medical interventions can be implemented expediently without as many road blocks. However, I remember reading about this kid with a rare skin disease that was ameliorated with gene therapy in Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending