Characteristics of PBUH Mohammed

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
(Not sure if this is the right place to post this)

He was chosen to be the messenger of Allah, not because of who he was, or what he did but because of his character. He was an honest man. Kind hearted to all he encountered. He willingly forgave those who caused him harm, and held no grudges of his own. He lived a modest lifestyle. His only message was to believe and obey the words of Allah passed down to him from the Angel Gabriel.

There was a movie I used to watch a lot as a kid called ‘The Messenger’, for whatever faults it has, it helped me visualize the circumstances of PBUH life and what was going on in his lifetime. As a kid you learn so much but you don’t really have time to reflect upon what you’re learning. Learn the quran, memorize the quran, learn the hadiths, memorize the hadiths, learn the way to make wuduu, memorize the way to make wuduu, learn to pray, memorize the fundamentals of prayer. Step by step by step. Not just for the deen, for life itself.

I recently went back to the movie and started to notice things I never had noticed before. Not the dialogue, nor the battles anymore, or even the imagery. I started to pay attention to the actions of the characters. Some were prideful, others were full of wroth, and some others were selfish. There were brave characters, deceitful characters, loyal characters, cowardly characters, disciplined and moody characters.There were even ignorant characters. In essence they were people. People who were part of PBUH world just like they are around ours. I took this insight and began to reflect on what I had learned from the little understanding I have of the characteristics of PBUH Mohammed to those around him.

It is easy to let anger govern your actions. It is foolishness that one lets pride cloud his judgement. It’s insincerity and a deep lack of empathy for others that one becomes selfish. It’s a need for the curse of more that one births a trait of deceitfulness. Bravery can be a cover for bravado and fear and ignorance can be an unwillingness to face truth or it can just be ignorance.

I get angry sometimes. I let a mist of narcissistic pride roll over me now and then, especially those times I feel inferior and the need to prove myself grips me. My main weakness however is that I purposely choose to be ignorant of my feelings because acknowledgment leads to insight. The truth about ourselves is in most times the hardest truth to accept because with acknowledgement comes the pain of growth.

So I sat and reflected. PBUH character was admirable. Not because of who he was or what he did, but the immense strength of character that he possessed. To forgive someone who has done you wrong takes immense strength because you can utter the words from your mouth, but if it isn’t true in your heart, forgiveness is not true. To be kind to another is to treat those around you with the same level of decency and respect not because you must, but rather because it is the humane thing to do. One feels happiness in their hearts to see another happy. Think about it. To be kind isn’t to do a good deed and call it a good day, but to actually feel the emotion of love and caring for another and transmute that energy into the act itself. To be humble is to treat all, whether beggar or otherwise, to the same standards as beings worthy of respect of their own right.

PBUH was a human being just like all of us. The thing that differentiated him from most however was his character. It is why he was chosen to be the messenger of Allah, and it is why any person, be them Muslim or not, will find light and happiness in understanding, and emulating his character.

To let negative emotions, thoughts, and actions influence one’s life is easy. All you have to be is unaware of any of the above. The opposite however requires awareness, as my Maacalin used to say, it requires intention. This is immensely hard.

To become aware of your thoughts is to become aware of your emotions is to become aware of your actions which makes you become aware of your thoughts again. This is only the first step. This is why I admire PBUH Mohammed greatly. Because to be brazenly honest with oneself is to realize that being the kind of person PBUH Mohammed was the good that flowed from him so effortlessly is something the majority of us have to intentionally practice every single moment until we become masters of it.

I'll leave you with this:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Latest posts