Challenges of the nomadic lifestyle and the civilized response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somalis should consider abandoning the nomadic lifestyle or at least only have 5% of people live as nomads.

Here are my reasons as to why the nomadic lifestyle should be no more:

1) Violence: They tend to solve their problems with the gun, even petty problems. They constantly fight over territory between even those within their sub sub clans, fight over limited resources like water and they have a habit of robbing each other's camels and goats.

2) Health: They are too far from any health care centers and even the smallest of health issues could end up being deadly. They are usually not vaccinated and don't manage their health conditions even if they do go into town to address their health problems.

3) FGM: This practice is not dead among the nomads and all their girls end up being abused.

4) Illiteracy rates: Many can't read or write. The reason why stores in towns have big huge paintings on the outside of business walls is largely for nomads who can't read words. Children also don't go to school because they are constantly travelling in the bush.

4) Ignorance: They are not aware of what is going on in their country, forget about the world.

5) Emergency preparedness: Many cyclones have hit Somalia in the past and the nomads have no clue that they are to expect one because of no communication. A few may have cellphones with spotty coverage and even if they do get the message, they either ignore it or it's too late.

6) Sanitation: They shit and urinate in the bush. This is very dirty and they can infect others with Hepatitis B.

7) Threat from wild animals: They are easy targets and can be attacked by hyenas, especially small children.

8) Famine and droughts: they suffer from it regularly. By the time NGOs realize it is happening, it is already to late to save them. Their livestock is gone and they have nothing to eat and thousands end up dying.

9) Too conservative in views: No further explanation needed.

10) They are a threat to local authorities and the economy: They are the majority of the population but no government revenue is collected from them. They also get in the way of development (i.e. they all want to be paid or given livestock as compensation if you want to build on the land even when no sole nomad owns the land and even when no one is there).

The civilized response would be to forcibly move them into towns and urban centres. This lifestyle is the biggest threat to the Somali people

I prtially agree but for different reasons. nomadism encourages one to go about seeking benefits from a new area and going from place to place different seasons instead of coming up with solutions to their problems. I know nomadism is part of our heritage so a lot of people won't like to hear it but I believe it has given us the same mentality we take with us everywhere (running away from problems, living in the now, never feeling settled or at home)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending