Chained in Somaliland: Inadequate mental health system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
a3999d49afa04418b27066f63a379fde_6.jpg

This man, who asked not to be named but usually lives in the Netherlands, was on a long visit to Somaliland when relatives placed him at the privately run Raywan centre in Hargeisa two months earlier. He could not clearly identify his condition. [Zoe Flood/Al Jazeera]

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/in...ate-mental-health-system-151027114429934.html

S

Shamis

I wonder how Gikuyu and Habesha treat their mentally - I doubt they even have a facility open for them.

HalyeeyQaran

Citizen of Southwest State
I wonder how Gikuyu and Habesha treat their mentally - I doubt they even have a facility open for them.
What do Kikuyus or Habeshas have to do with what's happening in Somalia? Why are you concerned with them while your country is ranked the lowest in every measurement of human development? :draketf:

The amount of unaccountability and entitlement is exceedingly detestable. :westbrookwtf:

Better than what they do to mentally ill in mogadishu. They lock mentally ill ppl inside a cage of hyenas and lions.
SL needs to contact Dr.Habeeb.

Last edited:
Better than what they do to mentally ill in mogadishu. They lock mentally ill ppl inside a cage of hyenas and lions.
SL needs to contact Dr.Habeeb.

lol
Kan qac waaye nooh. Hey, that was Alshabab in Kismayo and they put their mentally ill people in a cage with hyenas, then they killed the hyena and sold the meat to their families. Most of these victims were marehan.

S

syntax

Why didn't they make a relative take him back to the Netherlands to be in a mental health facility there?

:mindblown:

Because most Somalis back home don't believe science, medicine and psychology can help the mentally ill. To be fair there is a severe lack of mental health education amongst most people there and there's barely any real mental hospitals in the entire country. They usually try isolate them and look towards options like quran and other weird shit i seen like putting them in a cage with a hyena to get the "jinn" out.

Sultana

On Hiatus
I understand that happens for people who live in Somalia, but I'm just surprised it would happen to a Somali on vacation there. And the hyena thing sounds like they want their relatives dead. :/

S

syntax

@Sultana wallahi the Somalis in the diaspora are the same. They refuse to accept that science/medicine is the best option to treat the mentally ill. If you don't believe me think about all the Somalis you know in your city. I read somewhere that the percentage of somalis who aren't mentally stable is around 20-30%. How many Somalis that live in ur city seek help from a medical professional? I used to work at this immigration centre that brought in qaxootis and part of our job was helping them fit in and get taken care of if they needed help. I can't tell you how many Somalis we told to go to see a doctor about their mental health and they are just too stubborn to listen.

Sultana

On Hiatus
I think Somalis could use more treatment and more education about mental illness, but some of them don't even get tested for mental illness for the first place. I don't know if it's because of denial or simply lack of knowledge.

But yeah, there are Somalis here who do get prescription medication for their mental illnesses and there are lots in denial. I think Imams should speak out and tell their communities that seeking medicine for mental illness isn't against the religion and that they can combine qur'an saar with prescription drugs.

I understand that happens for people who live in Somalia, but I'm just surprised it would happen to a Somali on vacation there. And the hyena thing sounds like they want their relatives dead. :/

I feel like people on this forum try so desperately to paint all of somalia with a negative brush.
3612911_orig.jpg

ssom10-11habeeb013.jpg

p01j0h7j.jpg

God Bless Dr.Habeeb Truly a hero:rejoice:

S

syntax

Ugas I'm jus saying how it is. This is the result of a very conservative society that has very little access to quality mental health care. The entire health care complex in Somalia is really dysfunctional tbh.

Ugas I'm jus saying how it is. This is the result of a very conservative society that has very little access to quality mental health care. The entire health care complex in Somalia is really dysfunctional tbh.

Not due to coservative society, Islam and Somali cultural laws in itself encourages mentally ill people to be helped and safe guarded. It comes down to mostly ignorance that there exist such a stigma and lack of understanding what mental illness is or how to deal with it., it isnt exclusive to Somalis only you see this in virtually across societies and it can change with education. The only difference is In Somalia it comes down to a nation with little access to health care and damaged institutions. Very little Professional help and experience and lack govt support.

Inshallah lets hope with effort and education the Situation for Mentally ill somalis world wide improves. In the Meanwhile lets lend our support and encouragment to individuals like Dr.Habeeb who are doing an oustanding job ,despite the complexities of the problem and lack of funding/help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending