Caucasian man appreciating Maay song.

This Caucasian man appreciates legendary song Hakaba Banaanshe sang by legendary artist Hassan Eething Samatar authored by legendary abwaan Sahal macalin ciise.

I find it cajiib that in the comments of this tiktok you will find ethnic Somalis saying "Even I don't understand this song"

How embarrassing is it that Somalis will rush to learn English,french, Turkish but look down on Somali dialect spoken by millions of Somali people. This is one of the reasons Somalia will not move forward. The lack of respect we have for each other and the way we bellitle each other.

When will we as Somalis move forward from being prejudice to one another specifically the Maay, Bantu and Banaadiri communities. Has the time not come where we appreciate diversity instead of scorning it.

Wallahi it is shameful that a white Caucasian man can appreciate the Maay dialect when there are Somalis who look down on it and call it af oromo or say "Amiga ma fahmaayo" when in reality they understand it very well.

When will we as Somalis move forward from being prejudice to one another specifically the Maay, Bantu and Banaadiri communities. Has the time not come where we appreciate diversity instead of scorning it.

Wallahi it is shameful that a white Caucasian man can appreciate the Maay dialect when there are Somalis who look down on it and call it af oromo or say "Amiga ma fahmaayo" when in reality they understand it very well.

Not all Maxaa speakers understand Maay. In fact, I'd say that only few can understand spoken Maay, especially if you're not exposed to the dialect. Which is understandable when I hear reer bari, waqooyi and galbeed say that they don't find Maay to be mutually intelligible.

As for the song in the TikTok, it's not hard to follow along with the subtitles. Though, written Maay is usually easier to comprehend than spoken.

Not all Maxaa speakers understand Maay. In fact, I'd say that only few can understand spoken Maay, especially if you're not exposed to the dialect. Which is understandable when I hear reer bari, waqooyi and galbeed say that they don't find Maay to be mutually intelligible.

As for the song in the TikTok, it's not hard to follow along with the subtitles. Though, written Maay is usually easier to comprehend than spoken.
Your right. But my point is that the Maxaa speakers who don't speak Maay should not insult the Maay dialect or constantly remind people they don't understand the dialect. Rather they should humble themselves and at least learn enough to understand.

Not saying they should become fluent as it isn't really necessary but for you not to understand millions of Somalis that live in the same country as you isn't something positive. Somalis run to learn foreign languages but won't spend a second trying to at least understand the Maay dialect.

If I was the president of Somalia I would make the studying of Maay compulsory on all Somalis and make it a part of the Somali national curriculum.

Your right. But my point is that the Maxaa speakers who don't speak Maay should not insult the Maay dialect or constantly remind people they don't understand the dialect. Rather they should humble themselves and at least learn enough to understand.

Somalis are judgemental by nature. It's hard to deny this fact given our approach to things we perceive to be 'foreign'. I don't personally view Maay dialect as foreign, but many Somalis didn't even know the existence of another non-intelligible dialect until recent exposure through the internet. You can even see this through public interviews of non-southerners. That said, we need to learn to respect our linguistic diversity.

Not saying they should become fluent as it isn't really necessary but for you not to understand millions of Somalis that live in the same country as you isn't something positive. Somalis run to learn foreign languages but won't spend a second trying to at least understand the Maay dialect.

If I was the president of Somalia I would make the studying of Maay compulsory on all Somalis and make it a part of the Somali national curriculum.

Again, as I said before, Maay is a regional dialect spoken in specific and limited regions of the country. I don't think your comparison is valid when you put it against the said foreign languages.

Yes, I agree that we should promote Maay and other non-Maxaa tiri dialects so Somalis start viewing those dialects as national & indigenous dialects and over time improve our comprehension of the dialects.

But a non-Southerner will find English and Arabic much more useful that they would from Maay. With all due respect, it's thus logical to me that those languages should be prioritized than Maay in those regions. However, I do recognize the significance of Maay and would support making it part of the curriculum.

Somalis are judgemental by nature. It's hard to deny this fact given our approach to things we perceive to be 'foreign'. I don't personally view Maay dialect as foreign, but many Somalis didn't even know the existence of another non-intelligible dialect until recent exposure through the internet. You can even see this through public interviews of non-southerners. That said, we need to learn to respect our linguistic diversity.

Again, as I said before, Maay is a regional dialect spoken in specific and limited regions of the country. I don't think your comparison is valid when you put it against the said foreign languages.

Yes, I agree that we should promote Maay and other non-Maxaa tiri dialects so people view those dialects as a national and indigenous dialects and over time improve our comprehension of the dialects.

But a non-Southerner will find English and Arabic much more useful that they would from Maay. With all due respect, it's thus logical to me that those languages should be prioritized than Maay in those regions. With that said, making Maay part of the curriculum is a measure I actually support.
I fully understand and agree with your point. The only correction that I would make is that even if you are a reer Waqooyi you should at minimum try to understand the dialect. You don't have to be able to speak it just understand and that is enough. Obviously I understand the fact that it is not useful for a reer Waqooyi to learn how to speak maay fluently but they should understand it so if they come across a Maay speakers.

I fully understand and agree with your point. The only correction that I would make is that even if you are a reer Waqooyi you should at minimum try to understand the dialect. You don't have to be able to speak it just understand and that is enough. Obviously I understand the fact that it is not useful for a reer Waqooyi to learn how to speak maay fluently but they should understand it so if they come across a Maay speakers.

I concur. Understanding the language doesn't even require studying it or living in regions where they are spoken. Actually, letting those dialects be exposed to the wider Somali population through media and promoting through governmental instruments in public would be sufficient to reach the bare minimum. Especially if it starts from an early age. That's how Arabic speakers learn other dialects.

I concur. Understanding the language doesn't even require studying it or living in regions where they are spoken. Actually, letting those dialects be exposed to the wider Somali population through media and promoting through governmental instruments in public would be sufficient to reach the bare minimum. Especially if it starts from an early age. That's how Arabic speakers learn other dialects.
💯!

I find it cajiib that in the comments of this tiktok you will find ethnic Somalis saying "Even I don't understand this song"

How embarrassing is it that Somalis will rush to learn English,french, Turkish but look down on Somali dialect spoken by millions of Somali people. This is one of the reasons Somalia will not move forward. The lack of respect we have for each other and the way we bellitle each other.
Do you blame them ? How can you learn a language that can only taught to you by others ?

No thank you. My biggest dream is to make Maay the official dialect in Somalia.

I dream about Maay becoming the popular dialect of Bosaso, dhuusamareeb and Hargeisa 😃😃😃

Warya, are you here to deceive us? kkk 😅 You exposed your ulterior motives way too soon in another thread 🤣

Your wish is to make af-Maay the dominating dialect, while turning af-Maxaa into the minority dialect? 🤨

Are you making us fall for your miskiinimo antics to then push through your agenda? 😂

Last edited:
Warya, are you here to deceive us? kkk 😅 You exposed your ulterior motives way too soon in another thread 🤣

Your wish is to make af-Maay the dominating dialect, while turning af-Maxaa into the minority dialect? 🤨

Are you making us fall for your miskiinimo antics to then push through your agenda? 😂
I won't deny that. That is the long term goal. If they don't want to learn it and insist on being arrogant they will learn through the Maay conquest of Waqooyi.

Do you blame them ? How can you learn a language that can only taught to you by others ?
I don't blame them for not knowing. I blame the ones who are arrogant and try to belittle the language by saying is it oromo. Or by telling people who speak it to speak Somali.

Nothing wrong with being ignorant about something if you are humble about it.

I won't deny that. That is the long term goal. If they don't want to learn it and insist on being arrogant they will learn through the Maay conquest of Waqooyi.

What’s the point of this useless thread then? I thought you were being genuine, but let me eat my words and take back everything I said :snoop:

Too bad that your dialect (or language to be precise) will never gain foothold anywhere north of Xamar. Heck even within the south that Maay people live, do people not even speak, let alone learn it. And you’re talking about a supposed ‘conquest’ of Waqooyi :mjlol:

Keep dreaming waryaa. Focus on staying relevant in places af-Maay languages are spoken, before being xooged out of there and your language possibly becoming extinct. Hunguri badanidaa :draketf:

What’s the point of this useless thread then? I thought you were being genuine, but let me eat my words and take back everything I said :snoop:

Too bad that your dialect (or language to be precise) will never gain foothold anywhere north of Xamar. Heck even within the south that Maay people live, do people not even speak, let alone learn it. And you’re talking about a supposed ‘conquest’ of Waqooyi :mjlol:

Keep dreaming waryaa. Focus on staying relevant in places af-Maay languages are spoken, before being xooged out of there and your language becoming extinct. Hunguri badanidaa :draketf:
after reading some of his posts here I'm sure this guy is 100% @abz1991 , he writes exactly the same way and makes the same crazy unukaleh claims, I don't even think he is a real rx to be honest, he was always sus.

Yes Maay and Arabic should be waajib, One day Maxatiri will be lost and forgotten

Yes Maay and Arabic should be waajib, One day Maxatiri will be lost and forgotten

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Trending

Latest posts