Can you name phrases Somali mothers typically say?

I was just thinking about this today and I chucked. What were some of the things you heard from your Somali mother growing up? Feel free to include typical father comments too. My father spent many years travelling abroad so we never got to spend a lot of time with him.

I would always hear these... (p.s my Somali is limited so I'm spelling as accurately as I can, correct if I misspell).

Punishment threats:

Hadaan idin jarjari waayo = I can’t wait to slice/cut you guys up.

Hadaan idin karbaashi waayo = I can’t wait to beat the crap out of you guys.

Waa hagaag = That’s right something is going to happen to you.

Way ino’tahay = Oh, wait and see when I encounter you again.

Shaqa’daas ayaad bilowday miya = You’ve starting with this nonsense again huh?

Whenever we would get bad grades at school, she would lecture us how when she was a student she always loved studying and always got grade A’s. Okay Einstein.

My mother would always complain about us being messy and automatically would say “Gurigan is dhex yala” – even when we spent hrs cleaning and she literally took one step foot inside the house she would say this. Then I’d reply and say Hooyo we’ve cleaned everything, the house is tidy and organised. Come inside, see for yourself. Her response “I can just feel it. The house is still messy. I don't need to see”.

:comeon:

Thank God I’m an adult now with my own property.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
They are ALL cute.

Kaleey So dhowoow before one heavy slap hits your face

Kratos

Sonder
Doofaaryahow araga xun
Way inoo taala
Hooyada hooyadeed yaan wax ka sheegin
Ilaahay ka baq
Ba'ayow istaghfirullah

Most common for me.

Based

VIP
Wijigaa alle gub
Inkaar qabe
War kan intee geeya
Hadaan ku dhaafo, adoogey ma i dhalin
Zambac yahow
GERROUT

This is just the Somali version :jcoleno: hooyo cusses me in every language she had to learn in her journey to the UK

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Markaad albaabka ku garaacdid after playing outside all day and night and "forgetting" to call her:

"Halkaad ka timid ku noqo":ileycry:

Trending