Can they do this? I need answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queen Carawelo

So my aunt went to bestbuy yesterday and bought a 65 inch smart tv. Her kids were with her and they were throwing tantrums. She didn't buy a warranty yesterday. So today she called me and I went with her to bestbuy to get the 3 year warranty. The salesperson said it was too late. How is it too late? They didn't even have TV in the store, they ordered it and she will pick it up this coming Thursday. We asked for the manager and he said the manager was off today. There has to be an assistant manager but the salesperson said there was no assistant manager. He kept saying she should have got the warranty when she paid for the TV. Something doesn't add up.

My aunt said she will sue bestbuy and I told her to hold her horses. I called my brother and my brother will go with her later to the store.

Did this ever happen to you? You bought something then you later decided to get a warranty after you purchased the item. Did the store refuse to give you the warranty?

That's strange cos they normally jump at a chance to sell warranties as they are a scam and a cash cow for any store. The average warranty is five years long which is exactly the same amount of time that the manufacturer designed the set to last

McD30

Bored to death
Her kids were with her and they were throwing tantrums.

:hehehehehe: Salesperson is smart. He saw the kids and thought it likely that the TV got wrecked. She should get warranty if she hasn't received the product yet. If they say no, return the TV get your money back and then go back and buy it again with warranty. :gnzbryw:

Warranty is a waste of money, so why are you even contemplating of buying it? Keep in mind the manufacturer warranty comes with the sale and it covers at least a year where if you face any issues, you can ship it to the manufacturer. If there is any defect found on the TV, you will only incur the DHL shipping charges. My advice is your aunt want the TV, let her keep it and test it once it is shipped to her. If every thing is fine, no need to buy the Bestbuy's warranty.

According to Clark Howard (http://www.clarkhoward.com/), the additional warranties sold by distributors like Best Buy is a money thrown away. It is a rip-off and you don't need it. :cool:

:hehehehehe: Salesperson is smart. He saw the kids and thought it likely that the TV got wrecked. She should get warranty if she hasn't received the product yet. If they say no, return the TV get your money back and then go back and buy it again with warranty. :gnzbryw:

Warranty doesn't cover accidental breakage though

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
If they aren't willing to budge return the TV and buy it again with the warranty. From experience, all the issues that I've had with electronics seem to conveniently pop up after the 1 yr manufacturer warranty expires. With a big ticket item like a TV or a computer, getting a 3 or 4 year warranty is a must

menace

President - Sexaholics Anonymous, Ohio chapter
VIP
I'm gonna share with you reer miyi that anytime hoy buying a tv from BB..always ask the out of the box one ...a tv that was $1200 will be sold to you fir $ 600... Just cause someone bought it and changed their mind

Why would they not lol. It's pure profit for them. I worked for them back in highschool. They'd gladly take it. 100% profit no labour.

Q

Queen Carawelo

Update on the warranty drama.

My brother talked to her out of it. He has a technician friend who works for LG, he said she doesn't need warranty because if something ever happens to the TV. The cost she would pay to fix it is less than the warranty itself. As long as she has the receipt, she can call the manufacturer and they can send a repair guy to look at it.. Hopefully he's telling the truth.

Thanks guys..

There has to be a misunderstanding. It doesn't even make any sense to deny warranty on a product you haven't even taken delivery. Besides, i assumed warranty can be purchased separately if necessary. Speak to the manager, say you have video that you'll post on the internet. The threat of bad publicity might change their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending