Can someone tell me who built the Shangani old city?

Shangani isn’t even Italian architecture wtf. It looks just like Lamu, Mombasa, and Calanley-kismayo. The mosques and Suuqs, houses, were built in the 13th century by Somalis, Persians, and Arab traders. Wallahi you sometimes trigger me for not giving Hawiye any credit for their accomplishments even though I’m not hawiye 🤦‍♂️

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
Shangani isn’t even Italian architecture wtf. It looks just like Lamu, Mombasa, and Calanley-kismayo. The mosques and Suuqs, houses, were built in the 13th century by Somalis, Persians, and Arab traders. Wallahi you sometimes trigger me for not giving Hawiye any credit for their accomplishments even though I’m not hawiye 🤦‍♂️
I give hawiye credit many times. I even said that the current xamar is build by hawiye

I give hawiye credit many times. I even said that the current xamar is build by hawiye
Bro Shangaani is older than the Italians. Did you read Ibn Battuta and any historical info on Xamar let’s not give Italians credit when all they did was build a church and a couple of roads which isn’t bad but they didn’t change the architecture.

Som

VIP
:comeon:

I know the cadcads had some buildings in some parts but lets be honnest italians builded the most
That's BS. Italians built government offices and stuff like that but they didn't even touch the old town, actually Mogadishu had a defensive wall that was destroyed by the italians to make room for residential areas.

Som

VIP
I dont try to disassociate anything i know mogadushi used to be a city before the italians came. But lets be honnest all the nice shit like the old gouverment buildings-roads and many more was build by the italians they modernised xamar. But if you ask me who rebuild xamar right now i will say its hawiye

Most of the residential areas were built under kacaan.Mogadishu after independence became a much bigger city than what it was before independence.
Italian maybe built like 30% max the rest was old or built after independence

Never trust a zoo mali
images.jpeg

That's BS. Italians built government offices and stuff like that but they didn't even touch the old town, actually Mogadishu had a defensive wall that was destroyed by the italians to make room for residential areas.
That man is a Somalidiid wallahi he believes Italians (gaalo) would come to an African tuulo and make it a unesco world heritage like city which happens to also be Muslim

Apollo

VIP
The name sounds Swahili.

My knowledge of Medieval coastal Southern Somali history isn't so great, but many of these coastal areas seem to have town names that aren't Cushitic. Biggest of all Kismaayo.

Apollo

VIP
It just means non benadiri somalis/reer baadiyo. Most benadiris are ethnic Somalis specifically hawiye/rahanweyn

Benadiri has two meanings.

A) Refers to an ethnic minority, you know those guys with Asiatic roots. It is the politically correct term to say instead of Cadcad which sounds crude.
B) Anybody from the Benadir county/province.

Depends on context what a person means.

The inhabitants of the the old town before it become cosmopolitan during colonial rule. The city was surrounded by walled stone fortifications before the Italians destroyed it. There was a curfew for outsiders and they were usually only allowed inside for trade.

Som

VIP
The name sounds Swahili.

My knowledge of Medieval coastal Southern Somali history isn't so great, but many of these coastal areas seem to have town names that aren't Cushitic. Biggest of all Kismaayo.
I remember reading some scholars suggested a swahili origin for the name Shingaani

Som

VIP
Let's start with a few facts.
What we know as Mogadishu was actually only Xamarweyne+ Shingaani and a few other degmos (cabducaziz etc) the rest of the city didn't exist until the early 19th century.
The oldest inscription in Xamar and all of Somalia is actually frim Shangaani and was found by italian scholar of Ethiopian and Somali studies. Enrico Cerulli. The inscription is on the tomb of a man named Ahmed Al Naysaburi Al Khorasani, he died in 1217 and as his name suggests he was probably from Persia modern day Iran.
This means that arabs and persians lived in Mogadishu since the middle ages, however this doesn't mean that somalis were not part of the city on the contrary ibn battuta says that the ruler of Mogadishu was a Black "barbar" (somali) who spoke both Mogadishan(probably af soomaali) and arabic. This indicates Mogadishu started as a mixed multicultural city with a somali element and an arab/persian element that later gave birth to benadiris. We need to distinguish the urbanized somalis who were culturally arabized and the Nomadic somalis who were warriors.
In the 15th-16th century on the arabized somalis of Xamar allied with the Ajuuraan who controlled the outskirts of the City.
In the 16th century nomadic somalis from (mainly Abgaal) conquered Xamar from the joint benadiri- Ajuuraan alliance, many stuff was also built under the nomadic lamagoodle rule.So we can say that the city and the old quarters of Shingaani and X/weyne were built by both groups as both groups ruled the city jointly. Actually benadiris aren't exclusively descendants of arabs and persians. As you may know there's many benadiris who are predominantly somalis, the early somali nomadic clans that lived in xamar in the middle ages joined arabs to found a confederation qabil.

Let's start with a few facts.
What we know as Mogadishu was actually only Xamarweyne+ Shingaani and a few other degmos (cabducaziz etc) the rest of the city didn't exist until the early 19th century.
The oldest inscription in Xamar and all of Somalia is actually frim Shangaani and was found by italian scholar of Ethiopian and Somali studies. Enrico Cerulli. The inscription is on the tomb of a man named Ahmed Al Naysaburi Al Khorasani, he died in 1217 and as his name suggests he was probably from Persia modern day Iran.
This means that arabs and persians lived in Mogadishu since the middle ages, however this doesn't mean that somalis were not part of the city on the contrary ibn battuta says that the ruler of Mogadishu was a Black "barbar" (somali) who spoke both Mogadishan(probably af soomaali) and arabic. This indicates Mogadishu started as a mixed multicultural city with a somali element and an arab/persian element that later gave birth to benadiris. We need to distinguish the urbanized somalis who were culturally arabized and the Nomadic somalis who were warriors.
In the 15th-16th century on the arabized somalis of Xamar allied with the Ajuuraan who controlled the outskirts of the City.
In the 16th century nomadic somalis from (mainly Abgaal) conquered Xamar from the joint benadiri- Ajuuraan alliance, many stuff was also built under the nomadic lamagoodle rule.So we can say that the city and the old quarters of Shingaani and X/weyne were built by both groups as both groups ruled the city jointly. Actually benadiris aren't exclusively descendants of arabs and persians. As you may know there's many benadiris who are predominantly somalis, the early somali nomadic clans that lived in xamar in the middle ages joined arabs to found a confederation qabil.
Allot of Somalis find this hard the comprehend with some discussion I had. This has also been proven genetically.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
The clans that are typically considered reer shingani are amudi, asharaf and yacqub. First 2 are mixed last one is abgaal in origin but now heavily mixed

Som

VIP
Allot of Somalis find this hard the comprehend with some discussion I had. This has also been proven genetically.
Unfortunately somalis online are either ultra nationalist saying Xamar was exclusively built ethnic somali or selfhaters who say somalis had nothing to with xamar and that it was an Arab creation. The Truth is in the middle
We don't have many written sources on the ethnic composition of Xamar however we can summarize three main sources.
1) Early arab geographers mentioned xamar as a Muslim city, inhabitants were described as lightskinned (white) and a minority was describes as dark skinned (black). This indicates that at least in the begging Xamar was heavily arabized.
2) ibn battuta in the 14th century described the ruler of Mogadishu as a black "barbar" which means he was Somali.
3) Portuguese sources in the 15th-16th century described Mogadishu inhabitants as black or brown with few whites. This indicates the somali element eas already predominant.
There's nothing wrong with any of this. Somalis literally conquered an Arab/persian immigrants in Xamar and assimilated the. Most africans including northafrican Berbers got arabized and politically conquered, on the contrary we somalized the arabs.
The history of somali-benadiri elations in Mogadishu is pretty complex, they both founded the city and both belong there.
Benadiris are basically ethnic somalis with some Arab and southasian admixture, if you go to Shingaani today many of the so called benadiris are almost indistinguishable from other somalis

Som

VIP
The clans that are typically considered reer shingani are amudi, asharaf and yacqub. First 2 are mixed last one is abgaal in origin but now heavily mixed
Are the reer xamar ashraaf the same as the Raxanweyn Ashraafs in other parts of Somalia? Ashraafs don't look that mixed