Can anyone here help me find some information and pictures about the Yibir ? Is there any Somalispot members that are from the Yibir clan here ?

One of my characters is a Yibir/Tomal girl. This is a first final draft of her design.
CE59F59C-6FA3-4344-A418-4B47273887BC.jpeg

What knowledge I have about the Yibir are 1. they’re the descendants of a Jewish magician, 2. being magicians, soothsayers, and jesters were their main trades 3. They ostracized in Somalia 4. They bless weddings by making spiritual amulets ( The Yibir kinda reminds me of Habetrot. )
Is it true that they have their own language or a different dialect of Somali ( Like how Americans down south is to other dialects of English)

Boqorada

F*ck Your Feelings
I'd like to know too. Do they still practice witchcraft and pass it from generation to generation or have they left that tradition behind them.

Apollo

VIP
They aren't Jewish. They look like regular Somalis. It is just some minority cultural/identity group and not some different race.

One of my characters is a Yibir/Tomal girl. This is a first final draft of her design.View attachment 204233
What knowledge I have about the Yibir are 1. they’re the descendants of a Jewish magician, 2. being magicians, soothsayers, and jesters were their main trades 3. They ostracized in Somalia 4. They bless weddings by making spiritual amulets ( The Yibir kinda reminds me of Habetrot. )
Is it true that they have their own language or a different dialect of Somali ( Like how Americans down south is to other dialects of English)
No we are not the descendants of a magician. Our ancestors were all Muslims. Yes that's true some of us used to make amulets for their living. No we never practiced any witchcraft. Those are rumors that were made up. Yes we do have our own language but most of us just speak Somali. We are not Jewish we are Somali. Some of us look like regular Somalis but there also yibirs that look like Arabs like Khalijis or could pass as south Asian. My uncle from my dad's side did a DNA test and his paternal hapologroup is j1

Psychologist

Changemaker
No we are not the descendants of a magician. Our ancestors were all Muslims. Yes that's true some of us used to make amulets for their living. No we never practiced any witchcraft. Those are rumors that were made up. Yes we do have our own language but most of us just speak Somali. We are not Jewish we are Somali. Some of us look like regular Somalis but there also yibirs that look like Arabs like Khalijis or could pass as south Asian. My uncle from my dad's side did a DNA test and his paternal hapologroup is j1
What J haplogroup? Cise Cade- tumaal are also J haplogroup and also my sub clan is J haplogroup what is the connection? J-CTS5368 is the haplogroup my sub clan and cise cade tumaal share

What J haplogroup? Cise Cade- tumaal are also J haplogroup and also my sub clan is J haplogroup what is the connection? J-CTS5368 is the haplogroup my sub clan and cise cade tumaal share

J-m267. Yeah my madhiban uncles also got that same haplogroup. That shows that we madhiban, Yibir, tumals etc are all from the same ancestor. On familytree I even got matched to a couple of isaaq people

J-m267. Yeah my madhiban uncles also got that same haplogroup. That shows that we madhiban, Yibir, tumals etc are all from the same ancestor. On familytree I even got matched to a couple of isaaq people
A Muuse Dhariye on FTDNA is E-V32 by the way.

Out of curiosity, can you please educate me on the Yibir narrative regarding who Bucur Bacayr was?

Psychologist

Changemaker
What is the sub clan of the madhibaan uncle? For sure, it makes sense. Are they like fifth cousin fourth ? If so, its not true, the site tries to complete itself by giving you a random people. i have almost all qabil on my 23andme but they are all fifth and fourth cousin which means the site is trying to complete it

What is the sub clan of the madhibaan uncle? For sure, it makes sense. Are they like fifth cousin fourth ? If so, its not true, the site tries to complete itself by giving you a random people. i have almost all qabil on my 23andme but they are all fifth and fourth cousin which means the site is trying to complete it
He is Xildiid Muhammad. Yes I got them matched as fourth fifth cousins

Out of curiosity, can you please educate me on the Yibir narrative regarding who Bucur Bacayr was?
Hmmm, our ancestors name was Sheikh Ahmed Muhammad Musa Banu Hanifah but Somali people used to call him Bucur Bacayr. He was an arabic/Islam teacher and a ruler. He also used to treat women who are infertile with Islamic medicine

Is Gedmatch safe or unsafe?

Psychologist

Changemaker

I have seen a muse dna, looks like we share no haplogroup with them. prolly do, who knows, more people need to take the dna.

Bucur Bacayr (King)Bucur Bacayr was a legendary king of the Yibirs in Somaliland.

it's on the waaq page, i think he had a relationship with the waaq kings.

this person did not exist, just another myth. idk much about him, but people associate him with magic

Hmmm, our ancestors name was Sheikh Ahmed Muhammad Musa Banu Hanifah but Somali people used to call him Bucur Bacayr. He was an arabic/Islam teacher and a ruler. He also used to treat women who are infertile with Islamic medicine
Didn't mean to cause offence by using the Somali name associated with him. Sorry for the transgression.

My understanding of the myth surrounding him is that he was a pre-Islamic ruler in the North West, they are even fanciful tales of him exercising Prima Nocta on the subordinate population.

After his defeat, his descendants were traditionally given what I can only describe as some sort of blood money whenever a son was born so as to ward off some sort of curse. I might be telling it wrong, do correct me if I error please.

I have seen a muse dna, looks like we share no haplogroup with them. prolly do, who knows, more people need to take the dna.

Bucur Bacayr (King)Bucur Bacayr was a legendary king of the Yibirs in Somaliland.

it's on the waaq page, i think he had a relationship with the waaq kings.

this person did not exist, just another myth. idk much about him, but people associate him with magic
I think he was probably a member of a pre-Islamic priestly class, not too dissimilar to the Qallu institution among the Oromo.

Psychologist

Changemaker
I think he was probably a member of a pre-Islamic priestly class, not too dissimilar to the Qallu institution among the Oromo.
he prolly was, or as you said a ruler. i have heard of the son money thing but i don't think it still done. it done to avoid magic i heard.

he prolly was, or as you said a ruler. i have heard of the son money thing but i don't think it still done. it done to avoid magic i heard.
It only became less common recently due to the increased proliferation of Orthodox Islam in Somali society. It was commonplace in the past. Out of fear of being cursed, most nomads would pay up.

Somali society was only Islamic in name, for the most part anyway. A lot of our cultural practices were clearly pagan in origin. To this day, there are anecdotal stories of isolated nomads not knowing the Fatiha.

Trending

Latest posts