Business owners say Eastleigh garbage keeps customers away

And the garbage comes from the Somali community that lives and trades there and from their customers. It doesn't fall from the sky.They need to get organised and hire their own garbage collectors, in addition, each store should have a waste disposal container in front of its shop.

This is where Somalis need to start thinking about the bigger picture, instead of just waiting for the corrupt local government to fix it. If they manage to get this organised, they can hold these people accountable.

And the garbage comes from the Somali community that lives and trades there. It doesn't fall from the sky.They need to get organised and hire their own garbage collectors, in addition, each store should have a waste disposal container in front of its shop.

This is where Somalis need to start thinking about the bigger picture, instead of just waiting for the corrupt local government to fix it. If they manage to get this organised, they can hold these people accountable.
100%
But the Nairobi county govt is very corrupt.

You have to get approval before you do things its very beauractic.
They have very outdated rules and clauses imagine you have to get a permit to even paint the outside of your building.
The Askaris will be knocking into your doors if you dont abide by the rules.
Also you cant build side roads or drainage trenches on your own initiative.You have to write a request and proposal to the county govt then also deposit the amount of money into a given account for such projects and let the county govt do its job.

The by laws of Nairobi county council needs to be revised they are colonial laws which had relevance during their times.

Last edited:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Having been to Islii, it's as if the Nairobi Council want it to fail.

They don't give any ounce of support in comparison to other middle-class areas in Nairobi.

But then again, when a quarter of the city live in shanty towns, I guess they have bigger priorities.

:manny:

SonOfMaverick

"I don’t live in darkness, darkness lives in me."
Having been to Islii, it's as if the Nairobi Council want it to fail.

They don't give any ounce of support in comparison to other middle-class areas in Nairobi.

But then again, when a quarter of the city live in shanty towns, I guess they have bigger priorities.

How is the Somali community doing there?

I thought I saw a documentary about something called vacation marriage. Somali men from western countries marry the girls there for a short period of time to have sex with them and then they ditch after they knock them up.

Also heard there is a gang called superpower terrorizing the residents.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
How is the Somali community doing there?

I thought I saw a documentary about something called vacation marriage. Somali men from western countries marry the girls there for a short period of time to have sex with them and then they ditch after they knock them up.

Also heard there is a gang called superpower terrorizing the residents.

The Somali community in Kenya are doing well for themselves. They are running businesses in Eastleigh, building apartments and hotels as well as contributing to the wider economy.

It was reported in Kenyan news that one of the largest malls in Kenya, Two Rivers, held a Somali cultural week that brought in 1 Billion KSH (approx 10 mil USD) in one week to the shop owners.

The only problem is that Islii looks horrible, barely any paved roads, tons of garbage and drainage problems. The vacation marriage and superpower I have heard of from diaspora but it was not apparent to me when I visit, maybe one has to look deeper to see it.

Individually they are smart collectively; you know the rest look at Somalia.
They should be following Islam cleanliness is a big part of Islam which they forgot about.