Business opportunities in Somaliland/Somalia

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
What about importing building material and other household essentials from places like China and selling it to contractors

That'll get you a first class ticket to heaven sxb.

Some fat Warlords are enjoying monopolies over that and you're suggesting that we take xaalwad from their plates?

Maybe try selling higher end building materials like granite for kitchen tops or special flooring.

Same with consumer goods. Sell to the upper middle class and above.

Only issue with that is the low barrier to entry and the fact we copy each other like we're some hive colony.

Maybe try getting an exclusive distribution rights for Somalia from large Asian suppliers that wouldn't sell here otherwise.

They'd probably give it to you for free as long as you could guarantee a minimum volume.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
From what I know 65% of the people from my region are nomads who come to the market after selling their livestock on some months of the year. Ir would be smart to do research on what they buy and import those products for cheap if you can. And the same with suppliers, you can find cheaper ones with better quality products than those listed on alibaba. When you do you’ll be setting the prices and looking over your shoulder for opps in shanghai

Nomads could be a big business if you figure out how to monetize them.

They actually own more assets than the average urban dweller.

Maybe build a meat processing plan deep in the Galbeed hinterlands and move the frozen meat by train to the Djibouti port.

Livestock lose a huge chunk of their value when they're forced to travel hundreds of kilometers to Berbera or Bosaaso.

You can even provide fattening feed and health checks there.

You increase the value of the livestock, systemize the trade and livestock lifecycle and add value through food processing.

Could create a ton more opportunities as a side effect.

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
Old but ill give it a bump
Laundry business, fast tasty food takeaway, car imports and sell,

Big time: Storage units, factory spare parts production, camel trade business, remote IT and customer service. Bro there are HUNDREDS.

The trick is to go there ans see what you have in the west that is not available there.
Is it possible for a remote IT or customer service company to operate from Somalia? That’s actually something I always wondered if a group of Africans learned a high value remote job like software development or Data Science(even with a PHD) could they even find employment?

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
That'll get you a first class ticket to heaven sxb.

Some fat Warlords are enjoying monopolies over that and you're suggesting that we take xaalwad from their plates?

Maybe try selling higher end building materials like granite for kitchen tops or special flooring.

Same with consumer goods. Sell to the upper middle class and above.

Only issue with that is the low barrier to entry and the fact we copy each other like we're some hive colony.

Maybe try getting an exclusive distribution rights for Somalia from large Asian suppliers that wouldn't sell here otherwise.

They'd probably give it to you for free as long as you could guarantee a minimum volume.
Hold on, say someone got machines imported and started creating construction materials e.g. bricks. Would they be sent to akhira too? :browtf:

Awdalia Rising

SSpot Special Correspondent
I would say landscaping but there’s no point offering to plant trees and flowers for people when goats are just going to chew them out. If any Somali city actually wants to look nice they have to ban livestock free roaming in the city like wtf they eat all good green shrubs and just contribute to making the place look ugly

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Hold on, say someone got machines imported and started creating construction materials e.g. bricks. Would they be sent to akhira too? :browtf:

They get to fly on the Concord to heaven.

Construction materials is a juicy piece a meat monopolized by the same folks for decades.

Wouldn't be surprised if they pay AS to bomb Xamar just so they could get recurring business :mjcry:

Watersport centre would make a killing. Jet skis , hydroflights , sailing ,jet boarding, surfing and etc. Build a few restaurants in its vicinity

Yukon_Niner

VIP
They get to fly on the Concord to heaven.

Construction materials is a juicy piece a meat monopolized by the same folks for decades.

Wouldn't be surprised if they pay AS to bomb Xamar just so they could get recurring business :mjcry:
Damn, I was having dreams of creating a whole manufacturing plant as well

Would this work out in a place like Djibouti?

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Damn, I was having dreams of creating a whole manufacturing plant as well

Would this work out in a place like Djibouti?

Unfortunately most of Africa is like this.

Maybe you could sell services to the current incumbents to help them save or make more money and wait until you gain enough leverage to compete.

Yukon_Niner

VIP
Unfortunately most of Africa is like this.

Maybe you could sell services to the current incumbents to help them save or make more money and wait until you gain enough leverage to compete.
Guess my future dreams aren't as viable as I thought they were

Depending on how much money you want to invest--safest thing to do if you're not here on the ground is to buy real estate. If you live in Somaliland or Somalia, you can never go wrong importing a product and selling it with a 500% markup (no exaggeration lol).

I would say real state, banking. People back home need banks where they can get investments or where they can invest their money. Start hargeysa wallstreet, hundred years later you will be named after a big corporate bank, like jp Morgan, Lehman brothers.
Bruv couldnt u just collect mad investments from dumb abdis and then dip back to the west?

Trending