Business opportunities in Somaliland/Somalia

MadMullah99

Boqor of Boqors. The man your wife fantasises of.
Laundry business, fast tasty food takeaway, car imports and sell,

Big time: Storage units, factory spare parts production, camel trade business, remote IT and customer service. Bro there are HUNDREDS.

The trick is to go there ans see what you have in the west that is not available there.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Gym with smoothie and protein bar.
Music videographer.
Gardening and landscaping consultancy.

Planning to start a business in Hargeisa soon i’A.
What do you guys consider good business ideas

I would say real state, banking. People back home need banks where they can get investments or where they can invest their money. Start hargeysa wallstreet, hundred years later you will be named after a big corporate bank, like jp Morgan, Lehman brothers.

Invest in service and entertainment sectors, many have disposable income and need to spend it. You will also benefit from little to no inventory (risk mitigation) and low wages. For example, open a swimming pool (gender separated) in an inland city like Burco, Las Anod, or Garowe and you will make a killing.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Look at what's being consumed/Imported i.e. demand and create a cheaper or better supply for it.

• Better telecommunication - Fibre or cell towers
  • Education - quality private schools
  • Food production - turn raw imports into processed food products
  • Construction - huge demand for reliable contractors/companies
  • Media - create cheap content and make money through ads. Hollywood quality isn't required but has to be better than the trash currently being shown.

ReyRey

Brummie born & bred
I was thinking a business that Somalis look down on and done by minority clans in Somalia like car wash, tailoring, laundry or ironing service. The other ideas mentioned above can be profitable in Somalia but youll need a good amount of capital to lean on. If I had the money I’d go for them after some extensive research in those sectors.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I was thinking a business that Somalis look down on and done by minority clans in Somalia like car wash, tailoring, laundry or ironing service. The other ideas mentioned above can be profitable in Somalia but youll need a good amount of capital to lean on. If I had the money I’d go for them after some extensive research in those sectors.

Service sector in Somalia sucks because you can't be a rentier aristocrat from marking up a $0.20 job.

Service sector margins are based mainly on labour costs. You'd need 50+ workers bringing in $50/month in profits just to make a decent living. :holeup:

ReyRey

Brummie born & bred
Service sector in Somalia sucks because you can't be a rentier aristocrat from marking up a $0.20 job.

Service sector margins are based mainly on labour costs. You'd need 50+ workers bringing in $50/month in profits just to make a decent living. :holeup:
You’re right, I didn’t account for the cheap labour costs back home :dead: I know this is anecdotal but I watched a vid a while back of a family disowning their son for doing similar honest work back home and was guessing there was a demand for this

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
You’re right, I didn’t account for the cheap labour costs back home :dead: I know this is anecdotal but I watched a vid a while back of a family disowning their son for doing similar honest work back home and was guessing there was a demand for this

There's a huge demand. You just have to be creative at how you plan to monetize.

Maybe create an Uber service where you give these self employed labourers a rating score and take a tiny cut for arranging the jobs.

No profits if you just stop there but if you monetized your user base by directly selling products or services with larger margins you can make a killing.

Just don't get killed yourself :mjkkk:

I.e. halal financing, paid job training, consumer goods etc

Mix between Uber, Linkedin and Alibaba

ReyRey

Brummie born & bred
There's a huge demand. You just have to be creative at how you plan to monetize.

Maybe create an Uber service where you give these self employed labourers a rating score and take a tiny cut for arranging the jobs.

No profits if you just stop there but if you monetized your user base by directly selling products or services with larger margins you can make a killing.

Just don't get killed yourself :mjkkk:

I.e. halal financing, paid job training, consumer goods etc

Mix between Uber, Linkedin and Alibaba
What about importing building material and other household essentials from places like China and selling it to contractors, this seems like good idea and you can eventually go into construction with your experience, but I can imagine there would be bare competition in import/export. This is what Somalis are doing in other African countries
Look at what's being consumed/Imported i.e. demand and create a cheaper or better supply for it.

From what I know 65% of the people from my region are nomads who come to the market after selling their livestock on some months of the year. Ir would be smart to do research on what they buy and import those products for cheap if you can. And the same with suppliers, you can find cheaper ones with better quality products than those listed on alibaba. When you do you’ll be setting the prices and looking over your shoulder for opps in shanghai :drakelaugh:

Trending

Latest posts