Business in the homeland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running through a number of different ideas and businesses which I want to set up in the homeland, so the question is what type of business would you set up and why?
I need your help people, help me out here!!!

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I am running through a number of different ideas and businesses which I want to set up in the homeland, so the question is what type of business would you set up and why?
I need your help people, help me out here!!!

In Somalia today you have 3 types of customers.

1. Government/foreign aid-development projects: Long sales cycle and be prepared to spend a lot of money on bribes. Only feasible opportunities are big ticket projects as most the small stuff is already controlled through nepotism

2. Average consumers: low disposable income and middle class is non-existent. Focus on essentials like cooking oil, fuel etc. Don't crowd out small traders who sell on the street because it'll end badly. Instead try to improve on inefficiencies in the current market and try to provide a win-win cooperation with market incumbents and low level traders. This sector of the economy has the biggest opportunity but also a lot of landmines.

3. Export market: Plenty of idle hands in Somalia willing to work for cheap but that's about it. You'd have to train your workforce from scratch and instill a work culture that doesn't exist there. You'd be reliant on importing most of your supplies but there are opportunities to source your materials from within Somalia with some modest investment. Biggest advantage here is laissez-faire regulatory environment when it comes to handling your business but that could also lead to less protection when a local warlord is eying up your factory.

If you're investing less than 100k then the export route is your best option since that requires the least politics and minimal investment.

100k - 2 million I would look into ways I could boost an existing industry and increase their productivity while skimming of top. Logistics industry for example. Plenty of business could be had if someone can help organize freight supply/demand and related services (cold storage etc) through IT.

2 million+: Buy the PM and you'll get the President for free. Get them to dance for you before ordering them to sell you an oil block the size of state of Montana.

Tukraq

VIP
aim high, do a business in your host country, the homeland would benefit more from some of that profit if your successful instead of building a business there to sell to a poor population

customer services based in Somalia but providing services in the U.S. It limitless and it an easy setup you can literally get everyone a job in Somalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.