Burao Academy of Science and Technology - In partnership Abaarso School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Universities are in english so they have no other choice. Plus most of them can understand english to a reasonable degree, because they are taught in english since primary (unless they went to a somali/arabic school).

I don't want to derail your thread but since when? :ohhh:

There are so many english private schools...

exactly only "public schools" are in Somali and most people don't attend them anyway.

the rest are in engish and arabic- mostly english tho

All of the other schools education in Somaliland is 100% af-Soomaali, apart from Abaarso school and Burao Academy.

that's not accurate,, English along with arts,science.maths are all taught in English,both private and public schools. Arabic and Somali language also in the curriculum.there was few schools that may still use Somali but its kind out of date.

Last edited:
Yes the public schools, the private schools are useless, and any sane parents will not accept it.

Why do you say that?

Public schools have lower fees and poor education as a result:

'Wealthy parents (including the government officials), transferred their children from public schools to private schools, in search of good knowledge and a brighter future for their children. This is because private schools have effective and efficient management.

As a result, poor families must send their children to public schools since they cannot afford the higher tuition fees in private institutions which in turn may create classes among the society. Public school students receive poorer education than their counterparts in private schools. Public schools are crippled by ineffective management and weak leadership, low quality teachers plus inadequate infrastructure, poor sanitation and hygiene. To worsen the situation, the medium of instruction in primary and intermediate level public schools is Somali language while the medium of instruction in secondary schools is English language. So students who studied their primary education in Somali language find hard to understand the lessons because they did not see before this strange English scientific words. The outcome is that brilliant students get disappointed their studies and if they could not able to pay high tuition in private schools, they will directly leave the schools and their bright future is over. Likewise, educated teachers will move private schools. On the other hand, this gives a chance to the private schools which use English language as medium of instruction. Therefore, parents are forced to send their children to the private schools in order to gain fruitful education.'

http://www.somalilandinformer.com/opinion/poor-quality-education-in-somaliland/

Anab, I am talking the English language, why would any parents accepting his children to be taught everything in English, when they don't even know much of the Somali language.

The quality isn't the English language, if everything taught in English deoesn't mean quality, I know most people in backhome are illiterate, so they are thinking if their children are learning everything in English, then that's quality itself, but in fact that's not the case.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
No problem.

It's the examination board that handles the qualification. There's only one exam board- SLNECB (Somaliland National Examination and Certificate Board) i'm aware of. Here's there official website:

http://www.slnecb.org/Default.aspx

And this is an example of a typical form 4 exam which all students in somaliland sit:

http://www.somalischools.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/sl-f4-chemistry-2009-exam-pdf.pdf

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/74/29/59492974/documents/sl-f4-core-maths-p1-2009-pdf.pdf

Hope this helps

Awesome. Thanks.

Universities are in english so they have no other choice. Plus most of them can understand english to a reasonable degree, because they are taught in english since primary (unless they went to a somali/arabic school).

Being able to speak fobish is different than being natively familiar with the concepts that they're studying.

It probably puts them all into a disadvantage when compared to other countries that use their mother language in their studies.

Could be one of the reasons many African countries are underperforming when it comes to exam results.

Anab, I am talking the English language, why would any parents accepting his children to be taught everything in English, when they don't even know much of the Somali language.

The quality isn't the English language, if everything taught in English deoesn't mean quality, I know most people in backhome are illiterate, so they are thinking if their children are learning everything in English, then that's quality itself, but in fact that's not the case.

Ina abti, i agree with you. It's better to teach the kids in somali language.

But if the quality of education is better in private schools (not because of the english) but due to more resources, better classrooms/building, good water supply for toilets and better teachers - the government pays the public school teachers the same amount regardless of their workload so teachers leave for private schools for a higher salary than these people have no choice but to take their kids to private schools since it's the better option.

But i do wish they taught everything in 100% somali. Everything is becoming english.You'll see schools with name like 'New York School' and such. When 80% of the stores have english names rather than somali there's an issue :snoop:

Awesome. Thanks.

Being able to speak fobish is different than being natively familiar with the concepts that they're studying.

It probably puts them all into a disadvantage when compared to other countries that use their mother language in their studies.

Could be one of the reasons many African countries are underperforming when it comes to exam results.

Very true. I didn't even think of that :ohhh:

Teaching in the mother tongue has so many benefits :jcoleno:

Last edited:
Ina abti, i agree with you. It's better to teach the kids in somali language.

But if the quality of education is better in private schools (not because of the english) but due to more resources, better classrooms/building, good water supply for toilets and better teachers - the government pays the public school teachers the same amount regardless of their workload so teachers leave for private schools for a higher salary than these people have no choice but to take their kids to private schools since it's the better option.

But i do wish they taught everything in 100% somali. Everything is becoming english.You'll see schools with name like 'New York School' and such. When 80% of the stores have english names rather than somali there's an issue :snoop:

Very true. I didn't even think that :ohhh:

Teaching in the mother tongue has so many benefits :jcoleno:

Thanks Ina Anab Caday. I agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.