Bullying!!

Should Bullying be discouraged/banned in our culture?

• No, it is part of our culture, f*ck political correctness.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Yes, it is harmful to the bullied.

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • I don’t know.

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a Somali word for bullying? What is it? If it doesn’t exist, is bullying considered a harmless banter and part of our culture? Do you consider Bullying to be political correctness gone mad? Or does bullying exist and since other cultures have identified it to be a hurtful behaviour and are dedicated to ban in schools and workplaces, we should also consider it to be a harmful behaviour and ban it?

Discuss.

Cityviews

The Prodigy
Bullying is harassment, but normal childhood fights/arguments is fine.

It's that gaalo level bullying/oppression of 24/7 harassment that we are all against.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
It is never ok to bully, it mentally scars some people for a lifetime. Look at mama malyuun, she is someone who was bullied into silence and now that she is in her golden years, it still is effects her and the tears are every bit real. Let us encourage each other instead through positive comments and actions. Putting down someone in order to show 'tough love' is results in nothing but future resentment. Our culture as great as it is, could use tons of help in this area :)

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
I was bullied in elementary school, but not as an adult. I will not fall for it. Bullying is haram.

Cognitivedissonance

A sane man to an insane society must appear insane
Stay WOKE
VIP
Is there a Somali word for bullying? What is it? If it doesn’t exist, is bullying considered a harmless banter and part of our culture? Do you consider Bullying to be political correctness gone mad? Or does bullying exist and since other cultures have identified it to be a hurtful behaviour and are dedicated to ban in schools and workplaces, we should also consider it to be a harmful behaviour and ban it?

Discuss.
Waabin, booto, cago jugleen, hanjabaad, hanabaad..

Calaalka jooji nin rag bu illahay ka dhigay ee ragga iska dhici illahay fuulay ma jeclo geesiga haqgiisa bu dhacsada rag waa shaax dumar waa sheeko ninka dhadhaala damaciisa wuu garaa ee shaqeyso facaada sida u gaartid

I was bullied in elementary school, but not as an adult. I will not fall for it. Bullying is haram.
basra what’s your opinion on white cops targeting unarmed hippos?
SassyHippo.jpeg

23524090-young-professional-male-reporter-holding-a-microphone-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

Waabin, booto, cago jugleen, hanjabaad, hanabaad..

Calaalka jooji nin rag bu illahay ka dhigay ee ragga iska dhici illahay fuulay ma jeclo geesiga haqgiisa bu dhacsada rag waa shaax dumar waa sheeko ninka dhadhaala damaciisa wuu garaa ee shaqeyso facaada sida u gaartid

@Cognitivedissonance

Boowe, these Somali words have a different meaning in English like threatening, intimidation, boasting or bragging. None of them come close to bullying. Hasn’t any kid called you at primary school, midkaagaan caloosha weeyn sidii maroodi uurka mataano ku sida and how would you’ve felt as a child?

I’ve only accepted bullying from girls because as a kid, my dad told me that only girls who like your company will bully you. He was correct. I ignored the bullying of boys/men.

Regg

Stroking my Australinimo
@Regg

Let’s first define bullying, what is bullying? Can someone give us an overview what bullying is?
bully
/ˈbʊli/
Learn to pronounce
verb
gerund or present participle: bullying
  1. seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable).
    "her 11- year-old son has been constantly bullied at school"
    synonyms: persecute, oppress, tyrannize, torment, browbeat, intimidate, cow, coerce, strong-arm, subjugate, domineer; More

bully
/ˈbʊli/
Learn to pronounce
verb
gerund or present participle: bullying
  1. seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable).
    "her 11- year-old son has been constantly bullied at school"
    synonyms: persecute, oppress, tyrannize, torment, browbeat, intimidate, cow, coerce, strong-arm, subjugate, domineer; More

@Regg

Though “intimidate” is a stretch, would you agree that all these things are a common occurrence and happens among siblings in a Somali household where such language are used?

psyche

To each their own
Coal turns into diamonds with pressure and some heat.

Fun fact:Diamond actually do not come from coal. If my memories is serves me right, then diamonds are really old materials (older than most plants which is the source of coal) so it is not plausible for them to be made from coal.

Fun fact:Diamond actually do not come from coal. If my memories is serves me right, then diamonds are really old materials (older than most plants which is the source of coal) so it is not plausible for them to be made from coal.
Yh, you're right. It's rich in carbon which is the same element that makes coal and graphite.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
I was bullied by fobs as a kid. When people keep picking and picking on you, wallahi it breaks your character and self-eestem. I was an annoying shit back then--so there's that--but don't think I deserved to get harassed like that. Somalis definitely do have a "tough love" approach, but it has to walk a fine line.

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
No, bismillah! Bullying is harassment, it destroys self esteem. Bullying is never ok.

No, bismillah! Bullying is harassment, it destroys self esteem. Bullying is never ok.

@A_A

I wholeheartedly agree with you that bullying can shatter a child's confidence and self-esteem unless intervened earlier, but in some cultures like ours, bullying is considered "tough love", it starts in the family home among the siblings and it is condoned by the parents. Someone mentioned that it is 'haram', but we always put culture ahead instead of raising well adjusted and well behaved children. A couple of years ago, I had the misfortune of riding a train with a group of 12-13 year old kids who came back from a school excursion. The Asian and Caucasian kids were busy in going through and discussing the learning kits they got from their excursion. They were discussing heatedly and passionately about the environment and climate change. On a corner of the train, I noticed a group of Somali kids who were having fun and laughing. I moved closer to them and to my surprise, their discussion was making fun and cruel jokes that targetted this little chubby Somali kid who was wearing thick glasses. He didn't look happy and didn't take well all the hurtful comments made about his looks. Instead, he was quiet and withdrawn. This is the "tough love" that some here consider worthwhile to hang on to because it is part of our culture. Won't they have preferred their kid participating in a discussion about what they learnt from their excursion like the other kids? If we encourage bullying to be "tough love" and part of our culture how can we teach kids to respect others?

Parents: Don’t ignore sibling bullying, study warns.

https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/parents-dont-ignore-sibling-bullying-study-warns-6C10327300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending