BREAKING Khadiijo Abdulahi Daleys AUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
May god erase her sins and open the gates of paradise, she was a remarkable person who lived her life to the fullest :)

Eedo Khadija Cabdullaahi Camey (Daleys) -- first Somali female artist -- passed away at the age of 81, may Allaah have mercy on her.

She was born in 1936 in Baydhabo and moved to Mogadishu at the age of 9. There, she discovered her love for poetry and sang patriotic songs in one of the schools rang by the nascent southern nationalistic movement, the Somali Youth League.

In 1952, she saw an advert in the official colonial daily, Corriere Della Somalia, mentioning that Radio Mogadishu needed a female singer. This was at a time where the concept of a female singer was unheard of in the Somali territories. She went to the radio station and passed the elimination test. It was there where she made history by recording the first song to be sung by a female Somali artist. Her song was broadcasted on the 14th of Feb, 1952. The next day, local protests ensued as official complaints by religious scholars were lodged at the headquarter of the SYL movement. They immediately called her father, Abdullahi Ali Amey, to pressure his daughter to stop singing. After listening to their argument, he decided that his daughter has the freedom to sing, drawing parallels with Egypt’s star singer, Umm Kulthum, Since then, Daleys set a precedent, propelling her at the very apex of public acclaim. The year after that (1953), Shamis Abokor (Gaduudo Carwo) made history by becoming the first female artist on Radio Hargeisa. As their ascension to fame intertwined, so did their deaths.

John Williams Johnson in his book, ‘Heelloy: Modern Poetry and Songs of the Somali’, writes: “...[it] was she who weathered the widespread criticism of women in modern poetry, and because of her resistance to the pressure of tradition, probably more than any other woman she established the "right" of women to recite the modern poem. Dalays began to sing at first for political rallies in 1951 and joined Radio Muqdisho in 1952. Many artists and poets associated with the radio stations today have a high regard for her and consider her a pioneer in this field.”

May Allaah have mercy on Khadija Daleys and Shamso Abokar, protect them from the punishment of the grave, expand their graves, and grant them relief in the aakhirah, Ameen.

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Allah ha naxariisto but I doubt she was just only 82 more like 92.

Folks born before 1950 don't usually have birthdays. They'll always tell you that " I was born during the great floods" or " I was a little boy when the whites were fighting each other " and I'm like :bell::camby:

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Allah ha naxariisto but I doubt she was just only 82 more like 92.

Folks born before 1950 don't usually have birthdays. They'll always tell you that " I was born during the great floods" or " I was a little boy when the whites were fighting each other " and I'm like :bell::camby:
Waryaa don't question the dead. Just say AUN and move on.

AUN, I've never heard of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending