Blood drinking in Somali culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, how is this possible? The olive tree isn't native to Sub-saharan Africa.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10437-015-9181-z

. The Somali wagar tree is the African olive (Olea europaea sp. africana) (Miskell 2000 on IUCN; USDA). The wild olive is endemic to Somalia, growing on mountain slopes and in woodlands, often near water.

10437_2015_9181_Fig3_HTML.gif

10437_2015_9181_Fig1_HTML.gif

The wagar belonging to Sada Mire's family.

Keeysan

The humble one
I was going to say this and you beat me to it, the Nilotes learned this from Cushitic people not the other way around, and northern Nilotic people who haven't been influenced by Cushitic people don't practice it.

It's not barbaric at all it's actually pretty smart. With blood and milk you can get most of the benefits you would get from eating your livestock but you don't kill them, so you still have your livestock afterwards.

Some of the "Nilotic" tribes are probably originally Cushitic tribes that adopted Nilotic languages. There's good evidence that the Kikuyu are originally a Cushitic tribe that have adopted various Nilotic and Bantu influences.

The original Cushitic pastoral people:
  • Worshipped Waaq the sky god, the place of worship under a wagar tree (african olive tree). The wagar tree connected heaven and earth.
  • Practiced cattle pastoralism (later some adopted camel pastoralism) and lived off blood and milk, avoiding slaughtering their animals as much as possible.
  • Society was egalitarian with age sets and age grades determining the social role and social standing in the community along with how the community was organized and led.
  • Practiced circumcision upon graduation into the age set allowing marriage.
  • Spoke a Cushitic language
  • Have two moieties, one junior, one senior
Your 3rd paragraph makes sense, but hold up on that 4th line.
Also, are you oromo. Do you know of any groups that worshipped Isis, like us and the Beja?

Keeysan

The humble one
Somalis never worshipped Isis. Also, not all Somalis worshipped Waaq
Which other deities were worshipped.
Also, waaq isn’t an all cushite thing. Very largely a East Cushitic practice. South cushites here worshipped other bodies then for us it was Isis.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Which other deities were worshipped.
Also, waaq isn’t an all cushite thing. Very largely a East Cushitic practice. South cushites here worshipped other bodies then for us it was Isis.
Eebe
Waaq
Isis and all other name tht refer to god is same god tht send messeng to people worship him alone 1 god

Eebe is God in Somali while Waaq is a specific God. Also the Egyptian Sun god Raa was worshipped but not by everyone. The Monotheists only worshipped Eebe and even in the Qur'an Somali Translation, It uses Eebe rather than Alle

Keeysan

The humble one
Eebe
Waaq
Isis and all other name tht refer to god is same god tht send messeng to people worship him alone 1 god
Yes it was one god but it’s also important to note how these differences came up. Like how my people and Beja worship Isis despite the groups closer to us worshipping Waaq.
Eebe is God in Somali while Waaq is a specific God. Also the Egyptian Sun god Raa was worshipped but not by everyone. The Monotheists only worshipped Eebe and even in the Qur'an Somali Translation, It uses Eebe rather than Alle
So Eebe just means god, as a noun? I’m wondering if there’re any Sudanese people that worshipped Ra so we can get a good comparison

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Yes it was one god but it’s also important to note how these differences came up. Like how my people and Beja worship Isis despite the groups closer to us worshipping Waaq.

So Eebe just means god, as a noun? I’m wondering if there’re any Sudanese people that worshipped Ra so we can get a good comparison

upload_2019-2-20_19-11-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-20_19-11-25.png
    upload_2019-2-20_19-11-25.png
    453 KB · Views: 252

I remember watching a documentary with my pops and it was about these people. I found it to be peculiar, still don't know as to why they do it.

I remember the way they closed the open cut was by pinching the skin together and then picking up the dirt/sand and applying it to the area.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit

I remember watching a documentary with my pops and it was about these people. I found it to be peculiar, still don't know as to why they do it.

I remember the way they closed the open cut was by pinching the skin together and then picking up the dirt/sand and applying it to the area.

You should of put a warning about the beginning of the vid sxb :ileycry:

I have to go pray Salaada Isha earlier just to recover :drakewtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts