Berbera Development News

It's a good policy but I think it's premature. There first needs to be a reliable and consistent domestic supply or the prices will just increase. Poultry market can easily be met but the challenge is the fruits & vegetables. Usually only during the rainy season is there enough food grown for the local market and the reoccurring failure of rains has made that harder. During the dry season and droughts, imports will need to supplement for that deficit until better irrigation mechanisms are put in place so the dependency on rain fed agriculture is greatly reduced.

It's a good policy but I think it's premature. There first needs to be a reliable and consistent domestic supply or the prices will just increase. Poultry market can easily be met but the challenge is the fruits & vegetables. Usually only during the rainy season is there enough food grown for the local market and the reoccurring failure of rains has made that harder. During the dry season and droughts, imports will need to supplement for that deficit until better irrigation mechanisms are put in place so the dependency on rain fed agriculture is greatly reduced.
This will incentivize people to invest in improving local agricultural capacity.

I agree that it's too soon for an import ban. Putting tariffs on imported produce would be a better solution.

waraabe

Your superior
This will incentivize people to invest in improving local agricultural capacity.

I agree that it's too soon for an import ban. Putting tariffs on imported produce would be a better solution.
honestly its better to do it under these hard circumstances because otherwise it will always be delayed

Wouldnt that spike the prices of food and lead people to go smuggling as that would be cheaper and undercut unnecessary taxes?
Either way they shouldnt have done it during a famine.

Wouldnt that spike the prices of food and lead people to go smuggling as that would be cheaper and undercut unnecessary taxes?
Either way they shouldnt have done it during a famine.
Tariffs are needed to ensure that food is produced locally. Otherwise the country will be flooded with cheap imported food.

If prices go up then more people will invest in farms which will then increase domestic supply and lower prices.

You can see it places where Western countries send food aid which destroys the community's ability from producing the food themselves.

Being dependent on others to feed your people should be considered a national security threat.

Tariffs are needed to ensure that food is produced locally. Otherwise the country will be flooded with cheap imported food.

If prices go up then more people will invest in farms which will then increase domestic supply and lower prices.

You can see it places where Western countries send food aid which destroys the community's ability from producing the food themselves.

Being dependent on others to feed your people should be considered a national security threat.
If SL wishes for true food security then it needs to make the locals consume fish in all of SL and not only the coastal places it needs to tackle the taboo and stigma surrounding the agriculture sector, I hope the SL goverment have outlined a plan to tackle those issues

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
One of the greatest thing SL has done in recent times. This encourages innovation and self reliance. There have been few elite who bring everything, including expired goods from outside, relabel it and sell it. This destroys the morale of local producers and stifles food security. Now these importers will slowly be forced to invest money and produce goods themselves, as opposed to keeping the money outside of SL, Or get the fok out of the country

This is a great way for the government to help stabilise the economy and gives incentives to invest. Alhamdulilah I'm very proud when SL will be refusing anything from Ethiopia and now will force them to rely on our port.:salute::salute::salute:

fox

31/12/16 - 04/04/20
VIP
This is a bold move:ohhh:It would very embarrassing if somaliland revoked the ban but if it works out somaliland will become a self sufficient monster state :ohdamn:I think we're on to something boys :leon:

That's the problem most farmers don't have the capital and the diaspora are not inclined to invest in farming instead they opt to invest in useless hotels. That's where the government should be stepping in. They should be putting higher tariffs on khat , luxury imports, basically non essential items that won't affect the poor. Then that money should be used to subsidize farmers, and help them procure fertilizers, pesticides, seeds, tractors, irrigation systems etc. Then when they start producing enough to meet local markets, the high tariffs to protect them should be put in place.

That's the problem most farmers don't have the capital and the diaspora are not inclined to invest in farming instead they opt to invest in useless hotels. That's where the government should be stepping in. They should be putting higher tariffs on khat , luxury imports, basically non essential items that won't affect the poor. Then that money should be used to subsidize farmers, and help them procure fertilizers, pesticides, seeds, tractors, irrigation systems etc. Then when they start producing enough to meet local markets, the high tariffs to protect them should be put in place.
The money they make from Khat tariffs will be enough to create a modern agriculture sector :icon lol:

But SL doesnt produce anything close to a food surplus.

It is to encourage and promote home grown foods.

http://thenational-somaliland.com/2017/04/19/government-bans-imports-eggs-vegetables/

Just several years ago there were virtually no large scale poultry farms and the eggs in the market were of varying standards due to a mixture of imported eggs and eggs grown by families who kept chickens in their courtyards.

On the other hand, the price of eggs dropped significantly and the quality improved since the opening of several poultry farms in somaliland so i doubt the import ban on eggs will cause much of an effect on prices or availability.

Even southerners want a similar ban as seen in this video:

As for the ban on vegetables i think that's a bad move especially since the recurring drought has substantially decreased yields. It would have been better to impose the ban after the drought.

Good we should start supporting our own farms and industries!

Maandeeq poultry is a good example!

We should also continue exploiting our arable lands

Wajaale:
maxresdefault.jpg

:rejoice:

El padrone

Hedonist, Depressive realist, Existential nihilist
Superb! it better have good books, AC and cool refereshments. nice spot to hide from the scorching sun and study.

Trending