Being Treated Differently Because You're Somali?

The other day I was at this local event (hosted and mainly attended by Arabs) and I was next to this one muslim AA. This older sheikh came in and look at me, then asked if I was Somali. I said yes and he laughed then hugged me and greated me with high respect, they also gave me a seat next to the other Arabs/Somalis. He asked the AA what ethnicity he was and he said "African American" and the sheikh looked at him in absolute disgust. He told the guy to sit in a corner next to the old ass weirdos and ngl I felt kind of mad but I didn't say anything. Then he started to speak to me in Arabic and was shocked when I said I don't speak Arabic. Has anyone else had a similar interaction?

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
That’s sad. No one should be treated like that. I haven’t noticed anything like this tbh but I think it’s cause I go to the same Masjid all the time and it’s a Somali one

That’s sad. No one should be treated like that. I haven’t noticed anything like this tbh but I think it’s cause I go to the same Masjid all the time and it’s a Somali one
Minnesota mainly has Somali masjids but their are quite a few Arab ones, the Arabs in minneosta are pretty close to the Somalis since we're all diaspora.

I got treated badly by some Somalis few times .
I remember being at this Somali makhayad and the geeljires there kept giving this mean stare, they thought I was Ethiopian.
tenor.gif

but as soon as I spoke Somali to them, their attitude changed :drakekidding:

it's not easy being around Somalis when look like an amxaar , especially when they don't know you .

I got treated badly by some Somalis few times .
I remember being at this Somali makhayad and the geeljires there kept giving this mean stare
tenor.gif

but as soon as I spoke Somali to them, their attitude changed :drakekidding:
A lot of people IRL think I look oromo and are shocked when I speak Somali

alien

📍outer space
VIP
that's sad. they only treated you differently because they assumed somalis speak Arabic. that African American might end up leaving Islam or lose his faith because of all the racist encounters he has with other Arab Muslims

language barrier is a real problem when you trying to connect with people.
I grew up in an arab country and I speak the language fluently, so I always get alone with Ayrabs and feel welcomed, there are a lot of Moroccans where I live and most of them are good people but they have this dialect which is hard to understand, I connect more with Yemenis,khaleejis, Egyptians and especially Sudanese for obvious reasons .

language barrier is a real problem when you trying to connect with people.
I grew up in an arab country and I speak the language fluently, so I always get alone with Ayrabs and feel welcomed, there are a lot of Moroccans where I live and most of them are good people but they have this dialect which is hard to understand, I connect more with Yemenis,khaleejis, Egyptians and especially Sudanese for obvious reasons .
Which Arab country did you grow up in and how did you like it?

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
The other day I was at this local event (hosted and mainly attended by Arabs) and I was next to this one muslim AA. This older sheikh came in and look at me, then asked if I was Somali. I said yes and he laughed then hugged me and greated me with high respect, they also gave me a seat next to the other Arabs/Somalis. He asked the AA what ethnicity he was and he said "African American" and the sheikh looked at him in absolute disgust. He told the guy to sit in a corner next to the old ass weirdos and ngl I felt kind of mad but I didn't say anything. Then he started to speak to me in Arabic and was shocked when I said I don't speak Arabic. Has anyone else had a similar interaction?

You have a noble heart to be mad for the AA. I am guessing the Sheikh was Arab? Arabs were never meant to exist in civilized Western society. They are too raw. So are Indians.

The mark of an evolved human is one that is compassion for others. One that is not ignorant or heartless

Recently i posted a video where a store clerk was robbed. It happened that some Indian IT guy was monitoring the store from a distant. He spoke over the viacom to the scared robbers. The robbers ran for their life. But the IT Indian with his Indian accent said to the Cashier-- "Please go after them and take photos etc etc Not once did he say to the poor clerk-- Are you OK??? Just breath in and breath out. Good job?

Arabs are so raw and natural--its scary. The good thing about White gaalo-- they improve themselves. Or lived in a civilization for so long that they developed compassion? Or is it the Christian Jesus compassion that infiltrate in their culture? Either way, i read through the comments in the video and many who said where is the concern for the store clerk had Western names.

Trending

Latest posts