Being a Handy Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back at Somalia and it is mind-boggling to remember how some jobs were and still looked down to some extent, I mean jobs which are valuable in the real world - masonry and welding being clear examples. However, coming to the diaspora has taught me differently.

After trying to do things with my own hands, I've started to look for cheaper methods of learning things without involving costly training courses. I've started talking to people who I interact with daily - mainly co-workers. And here is what I found out: Nearly all white males and majority of young AAs are all handy men who can build and fix things with their own hands. Women do it too. I was surprised to see how a white real estate investor - who was a woman - bought a house in front of mine and fixed all of the issues by herself. There were a few occasions where she needed a male support, especially, when she needed to replace a bathtub due to its weight. However, nearly every other repair, she did it by herself.

I inquired closely and asked them how they all learned these skills. All of the white males that I've spoken to have stated that they all started from childhood. They have watched their daddies performed those tasks and it is considered as part of manhood for young men to do tasks like mechanical work, plumbing, electrical, roof building, water-proofing the basement of their houses, etc. AA males that I've spoken to did not have male role models but after seeing their mothers struggling with performing those tasks, they tried it and learned through that way as well.

Now, here is what I would like ask my fellow Somalis on this site:

1. how many of you can fix his or her bathroom if he or she sees flooding in the basement?
2. How many of you can replace the breaks of their cars?
3. How many of you can replace their bathtubs, toilets (this task is very easy), and sinks in their bathrooms?
4. How many of you understand how the waterline and sewage works in their houses or apartments - where you live in?
5. How many of you can diagnose and then repair if you see a water getting into your basements?
6. How many of you can replace the kitchen counter in their houses?

Brothers (and to certain extent the sisters as well), I am not bragging about doing all of those as I can't do all of them. However, I want to point out how, in our culture, we ignored or look down upon certain important skills that would've come with us and helped us in this diaspora and even backhome. I was surprised to see how we can save a lot of money by doing these tasks ourselves and most importantly how easy these jobs are. I want to leave you that by following Youtube videos and many other manuals, these tasks are easy, will save you money, and most importantly will give you lots of fun after you do it!

Bro im a licensed plumber before that i did 3 years in construction
What really interested me in that industry was seeing houses get built and i used to just watch them in amazement how fast the would construct buildings
the money is amazing, i work my own hours, the amount of networking i hace in the industry pretty much gurantees me a lifetime of jobs
I wouldn't be in anything else ive been doing it since 16,
Eventually i want start a traded school in bosaso and galkaayo, plumbing and construction trades and weilding, even electrician.
Im in uni doing engineering while working 3 days a week i get enough money to pay rent school and food, plus savings.
i wish i could find somalis interested in this industry it teaches you persistentence and hard work pays off

I fix most plumbing and construction jobs for somali homeowners in my area.
The best advice i got from father was go learn a trade.
Im doing my degree so i could get big contracts in somalia as a civil project manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending