Beauty Standards. A Conversation.

What do you think beauty standards are? Why do we have them? Personally, I think its a social construct designed to make women feel reduced only to their appearance so that they turn a blind eye to other priorities. It also was designed by men so that they can keep our minds off their bullshit because we only value trying to make ourselves "beautiful" for them, instead of for ourselves. Across centuries and eras, we have had so many changes with what is regarded as beautiful for a woman and we have been chasing it for so long just to find out that looking the way that we do doesn't fit in and isn't "the norm" anymore. It honestly needs to stop and men need to view us as whole human beings, capable human beings, instead of shells. And we need to view ourselves as important and put ourselves first. Instead, we should focus on leading a happy, healthy and successful lifestyle, and stop getting men's inferior opinions into our heads. I rest my case.

Honestly it makes me more grateful for Hijab, its like Allah knew what was going to happen when we expose ourselves and the severe repercussions that would happen. Allah only tells us to do things because it is good for us, and this is one aspect for why Hijab is a good thing and should be appreciated.

Beauty standards affect both genders.
But it doesn't affect men as much as it does women. Quite frankly, at the front of all of the movements telling women to stop changing themselves so that they can fit into a fictional demographic of beauty, is women, and few men are involved because it only affects a few of them. Like, women who are overweight or obese get way more bullshit from haters for being fat than men. Because men mainly control this beauty standard bullshit, which is the reason why men get way less shit for not looking "attractive" than women.

But it doesn't affect men as much as it does women. Quite frankly, at the front of all of the movements telling women to stop changing themselves so that they can fit into a fictional demographic of beauty, is women, and few men are involved because it only affects a few of them. Like, women who are overweight or obese get way more bullshit from haters for being fat than men. Because men mainly control this beauty standard bullshit, which is the reason why men get way less shit for not looking "attractive" than women.
Ugly, short men are ostracised and mocked all the time. At least obese women can lose weight, but with short dudes it’s over loool. Alhamdulillah I’m Somali and blessed with height

The idea of beauty standards has existed for a long time. I don’t believe it’s only men perpetuating the idea of beauty standards as well. Women partake in passing on beauty ideals to one another and their offspring. We are influenced by our surroundings too.
I’m pretty sure as long as beauty standards are reinforced by society, the beauty/makeup/skincare/plastic surgery industries will continue making bank. They feed into and profit off the insecurities of people.

It doesn’t seem healthy to focus on what the beauty standards are especially as they change every few years. A person can start to negatively judge himself and compare with others when they focus on just external beauty. We need to escape this mindset and free ourselves. Not only does it seem harmful for us it may be an opressive way of thinking… The people obsessed with beauty standards are gaalo so they are the last people to let influence your thought process. They really are an oblivious bunch who busy themselves in nonsense. It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks you look like as long as you know you are a beautiful creation of Allah.

If only everyone could love themselves wholeheartedly and realize it’s fine if not everyone likes their appearance. Another takeaway is others are entitled to like certain looks just as everyone else has that right. There’s beauty in everyone looking so different. It should make us more grateful to Allah.

This topic makes me think of that recently deceased beauty Queen. She had the beauty standards yet decided to depart this dunya. Her beauty didn’t bring her peace or happiness. I don’t believe many who have the “right look” are as happy due to their beauty as others who desire that look think. Beauty doesn’t give anyone true contentment.

The peacock male, for example, has magnificent colors on his feathers to attract a partner; the more colorful his feathers are, the more mates he can attract.
But that doesn't make other peacocks jealous or make them rip their own feathers off, right? Sure they may fight for their mate because they want her but not necessarily because one peacocks feathers are bluer than the other ones, you know?

Nomadic lord

Simply better.
But that doesn't make other peacocks jealous or make them rip their own feathers off, right? Sure they may fight for their mate because they want her but not necessarily because one peacocks feathers are bluer than the other ones, you know?
But that's still a beauty standard.

Nomadic lord

Simply better.
How? It's just something Allah created them with so that they can attract mates. I am very sure that animals don't have the mental capacity to feel insecure or judge each other based on looks.
Beauty standard just means some traits are more desired than others.

Beauty standard just means some traits are more desired than others.
A beauty standard is actually when the bar is set at a certain level of attractiveness or beauty so that people can reach it. For example, the hourglass body shape is an example of a beauty standard that women would work towards. However, when people can't reach it, they usually use unsafe methods and have mental health issues because they can't reach the "standard" of these women, and therefore cannot receive acceptance as a "beautiful person." This is the reason why the word "standard" is so important in the phrase because it implies having to reach a goal to achieve a perceived success that you may get from it. Having traits that are more desirable than others is just one piece of the pie. There is so much more to the phrase "beauty standard" and to be honest even I feel like I have just scraped the surface.

What do you think beauty standards are? Why do we have them? Personally, I think its a social construct designed to make women feel reduced only to their appearance so that they turn a blind eye to other priorities. It also was designed by men so that they can keep our minds off their bullshit because we only value trying to make ourselves "beautiful" for them, instead of for ourselves. Across centuries and eras, we have had so many changes with what is regarded as beautiful for a woman and we have been chasing it for so long just to find out that looking the way that we do doesn't fit in and isn't "the norm" anymore. It honestly needs to stop and men need to view us as whole human beings, capable human beings, instead of shells. And we need to view ourselves as important and put ourselves first. Instead, we should focus on leading a happy, healthy and successful lifestyle, and stop getting men's inferior opinions into our heads. I rest my case.
Being healthy is enough IMO (body & in general). Makeup, style all comes next & is optional.

xLibaxsenderx

Hana deul
There's universal beauty like the golden ratio, and then there's acclimated beauty like an acquired taste, but true beauty is healthyness. There's also societal status, wealth and conduct of character that also add to or take away from a person's attractiveness or beauty. The somali thin gracile look is beautiful in a artsy way just as the broad and stronger features are beautiful in their own right
Jarawa kids
2014581218828734_20.jpeg

Afar hornafrican
Bnt1Li3CcAEiTye.jpg

zackattack

Cowabunga
Wow women's den is so clean and nice even smells good compared to the man's cave that's dirty and smells like vomit .

It's like men's and women's washrooms .

Trending

Latest posts