beautiful song about Hooyo

xiin-finiin

general of ciidamada sida raha ubooda
We'll settle for a fine synopses then.
so the song basically talks about what mothers do for their children. every couple of sentences, the song repeats the phrase: "hooyadu waa lama huraan" which roughly translates to "the mother is indispensable". the following is a list of what the hooyo does for their child that personally resonated with me.
1) doesn't even think about eating before you are absolutely full
2) immediately picks you up when you fall on the ground and your mouth is fool of dirt (when you're learning to walk)
3) Comes to our rescue when we are powerless
4) tastes the food she cooked first to make sure it's safe for us
5) Shes the one that raised both knowledgeable sheikhs and brave warriors
6) Shes the one that raised both the coward and the brave
7) If you say "hah" (get hurt) She drops what shes doing and is in front of you without thinking
8) the father goes away (could be for business or some other purpose) but she is in front of you unless death gets her
9) Doesn't sleep well the nights you don't come home
10) threatens others/is on your side and showers you with praise while you were nothing (a child)
11) during the dry season, when food is scarce and we finish the little food/milk she was able to find, she remains hungry without saying a word.
12) carries us on her back like camels carrying water without it bothering her.
13) when you are being laid to rest, you are not the son/daughter of your father but the son/daughter of your mother (this comes from islam where instead of taking the name your father you instead take the name of your bother both when you are being buried and on judgement day)

And it goes on to mention many other beautiful and true things about hooyo. I really can't do it justice, @backgroundISneeded I would really appreciate if you could please translate this if you get time. I trully believe its a song/geeraar every somali should hear at least once in their lifetime.

Thank you. I was inspired by your postings, and shall share a couple of 'hooyo' related songs, for I forever cherish my dear mother.

----------------------------------------------
Hooyo: khaalid Kaamil ft. Qamar Suugaani
By far two of the best vocalists in their generation, I think; it is so cruel, in a good way, what these two have done with the song; If you could listen to it, and flood of tears not soak up you cheeks, love and affection of dear mother you must not have tasted it, of course one must ingest the lyrics.

In Somali:
1. Miyaan gama' hawaystaa hooyooy,
Habeenkii la'aantaa hooyooy,
Miyaan horay u seexdaa,
Haddii aadan ila hadal,
Oo wardi aanad igu odhan,
Hurdo miyay i qabataa hooyooy,
Hurdo miyay i qabataa,
Hurdo miyay i qabataa.

2. Miyaan gama' hawaystaa,
Habeenkii la'aantaa,
Miyaan horay u seexdaa,
Haddii aadan ila hadal,
Hooyo aanaad igu odhan,
Hurdo miyay i qabataa,
Hurdo miyay i qabataa.

3. Soo naftaad horaadkiyo,
Haaneedka siisee,
Dhabtii kuma tabaysoo,
Aragaagu hooyooy,
Ani ima harraad tiro.

4. Waxaad tahay hubaashii hooyooy,
Hagahayga noloshee hooyooy,
Ifka hibo ku noolow,
Aakhirana hadhaciyo hooyo,
Janadii ku hoya oo,
Helo, hano kitaabkee.

In English:
1. O' Mother, contemplate slumber do I ever,
O' Mother, without you at night,
Do I ever sleep in earnest,
Should you not speak to me, and
Chant not my affection,
Does slumber ever draw me in O' Mother
Does slumber ever draw me in,

2. O' Mother, contemplate slumber do I ever,
O' Mother, without you at night,
Do I ever sleep in earnest,
Should you not speak to me, and
Say not O' Mother to me,
Does slumber ever draw me in,

3. It was I, you breastfed, hind, and fore (bosoms),
In certainty, the self misses you,
Your sight O' Mother,
Quenches my yearnings (thirst).

4. O' Mother, indeed you are,
My life's sonar O' Mother
In this life, may you live with dignity,
In the hereafter, under the shadows O' Mother,
Of Jannah, you may settle,
Hold, Get the Qur'an.

Postscript:
I shall share a couple of the late Hadraawi's best 'hooyo' poems, and a song, as time permits.

*** Indeed, in comparison, Somali poetry and prose is richly superior to English, and that is coming from someone, who is more acquainted with English literature and classics, and is merely coasting on the surface of Somali poetry.

Slight correction in verse #4:
A dear mate, a bit doyen in Islamic studies, reminded me of the reference in the fourth verse:

4. O' Mother, indeed you are my life's sonar O' Mother
Get, Hold, your Book*.

* The reference here is the following Ayah in surat al Isra', verses 13 & 14:
This denotes the du'a where in Jannah one rests under the shadows of shade-rich trees 'hadhac' where one holds in one's right hand record of all his good deeds 'hasanaat'.

وَجَعَلْنَا اللَّيْلَ وَالنَّهَارَ آيَتَيْنِ ۖ فَمَحَوْنَا آيَةَ اللَّيْلِ وَجَعَلْنَا آيَةَ النَّهَارِ مُبْصِرَةً لِّتَبْتَغُوا فَضْلًا مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَلِتَعْلَمُوا عَدَدَ السِّنِينَ وَالْحِسَابَ ۚ وَكُلَّ شَيْءٍ فَصَّلْنَاهُ تَفْصِيلًا (12) وَكُلَّ إِنسَانٍ أَلْزَمْنَاهُ طَائِرَهُ فِي عُنُقِهِ ۖ وَنُخْرِجُ لَهُ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ كِتَابًا يَلْقَاهُ مَنشُورًا (13) اقْرَأْ كِتَابَكَ كَفَىٰ بِنَفْسِكَ الْيَوْمَ عَلَيْكَ حَسِيبًا

(12) And We have made the night and day two signs, and We erased the
sign of the night and made the sign of the day visible that you may seek bounty from your Lord and may know the number of years and the account [of time]. And everything We have set out in detail.

(13) And [for] every person We have imposed his fate upon his neck, and We will produce for him on the Day of Resurrection a record which he will encounter spread open.
(14) [It will be said], "Read your record. Sufficient is yourself against you this Day as accountant."

Slight correction in verse #4:
A dear mate, a bit doyen in Islamic studies, reminded me of the reference in the fourth verse:

4. O' Mother, indeed you are my life's sonar O' Mother
Get, Hold, your Book*.

* The reference here is the following Ayah in surat al Isra', verses 13 & 14:
This denotes the du'a where in Jannah one rests under the shadows of shade-rich trees 'hadhac' where one holds in one's right hand record of all his good deeds 'hasanaat'.

وَجَعَلْنَا اللَّيْلَ وَالنَّهَارَ آيَتَيْنِ ۖ فَمَحَوْنَا آيَةَ اللَّيْلِ وَجَعَلْنَا آيَةَ النَّهَارِ مُبْصِرَةً لِّتَبْتَغُوا فَضْلًا مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَلِتَعْلَمُوا عَدَدَ السِّنِينَ وَالْحِسَابَ ۚ وَكُلَّ شَيْءٍ فَصَّلْنَاهُ تَفْصِيلًا (12) وَكُلَّ إِنسَانٍ أَلْزَمْنَاهُ طَائِرَهُ فِي عُنُقِهِ ۖ وَنُخْرِجُ لَهُ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ كِتَابًا يَلْقَاهُ مَنشُورًا (13) اقْرَأْ كِتَابَكَ كَفَىٰ بِنَفْسِكَ الْيَوْمَ عَلَيْكَ حَسِيبًا

(12) And We have made the night and day two signs, and We erased the
sign of the night and made the sign of the day visible that you may seek bounty from your Lord and may know the number of years and the account [of time]. And everything We have set out in detail.

(13) And [for] every person We have imposed his fate upon his neck, and We will produce for him on the Day of Resurrection a record which he will encounter spread open.
(14) [It will be said], "Read your record. Sufficient is yourself against you this Day as accountant."
There was cadaan woman who learned Somali language and collected many Somali songs for archive. This woman said Somali songs are duco. Although people don’t acknowledge it but they are duco. Then she cite some songs that were duco.

So yeah. Most Somali song writers will mentioned Somali uranic reference in their songs.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
During my 3rd-grade year in school, we had to memorize songs as part of the requirements for passing the Somali class. I chose this particular song, and it is now the only song whose lyrics I know word by word.

Mashallah, such wholesome experience 😇😇🙏

It's one of the songs my ayeiyo use to sing for us during bedtime. So now I find myself listening to it when I'm missing her..

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Lovely. Thank you for sharing it, the first I am hearing of it.

When you said 'old', I was thinking more of this classic by Maxamed Suleiman. A mate is working on a translation, shall share it upon its completion.

Oops, I assumed it is old because of the video quality and setting 😅

Thank you sooo much walaal,
You Are The Best GIF

The late Abu Xadra 'Hadraawi' meaning 'chatterbox' offers another brilliant poem 'Annuun baa hooyadaa ah - I alone am your mother' about motherhood.

A proviso to the poem, the good poet shares a story to reflect upon the imbalance of the mother-son, or daughter, relationship, a rather painful one at that: "A potential bride asks the groom: 'if you want to marry me, you must bring me your mother's heart'; he dashes to sacrifice his dear old mother, rips out her heart, trots back to his would-be bride, trips, dropping the heart en route; then there on the ground, the bleeding heart asks him: 'Dear son, are you hurt?'. He jumps up, delivers the heart, at which point, in shock and horror as to his asininity, bride turns round and quips: 'Get lost, you effing twat' ". Moral of the story: even though he sacrificed his dear mother for love, parts of her still agonise for him! I might do the translation, as time permits.

Gabay: Annuun baa hooyadaa ah
Hunguri calaf baa xukuma, hantina dhaqan baa shushubah,
Dadkana hiddihiisa guud, wixii la hayaa dhex yaal.

Xaq iyo u hal buuxintiisa, habboonkiyo waalid tiisa,
Hilbiyo ku arrooridooda, siduu uga hawl yaraysto,
Hal maal laga yeeli maayo.

Hawiyo tumashoy dhashayda, ka daa gacan haadiskaaga,
Barbaar hanaqaad ku leexday, Duciyo habar qaadan waayey,
Cir iyo heeguu noqdaa, Hadhaysay dhul aan aqoone,
Hoygii madhan wiilashiisa, haween dumar baa ka sheegta,
Hablaha kacay baa u yeedha, Haldhaa* jecel baa u qaybsan.

Inaan hadlo maan jeclaysan, baxnaanana maan hor joogsan,
Hubsiinana maan ilaawin, hogeediyo xaajadayda,
Dareenka haloosigiisa, hugiisa in aan ka qaado,
Hayaanka fogaaday baa leh.

Markaan cidla hiil ka waayey, naftayda halaanhalkeeda,
Waxaa huri waayo sheego.

Haantii lulataay dhegayso, hoobaanka agtaada taala,
Hadhiinadu baadi weeye, hashii korisaa u ciillan,

Qofaad hallab saariddiisa, daryeelka horseedadiisa,
Dadaalada heensihiisa, habbeenna ka seexan weyday,
Ku meel maray heegantaada, markuu hagar kuu banneeyo,
Dharaar ku haleeli waayo, hortaada waxaa yimaada,
Sidaad ugu heelanayde, harraad iyo waa kalkiise,
Hillaac baxayow dhegayso, siday talo kaaga hoostay.

Calooshu intay ku hoysay, hiyigu ku baxnaaninaayey,
Horaadka intaad jaqaysay, Dhabtaydu intay ku haysay,
Intaad huwanayd taftayda, hobeeya hobey hobeyda,
Intaan dusha kuugu heesay, intaan hannad kuugu yeedhay,
Hawraaraha kugu ammaanay, intaan hubin kuu xambaaray,
Dartaa u hoggaansanaaday, hadhuubada aan ku siiyey,
Habniin adigoo ku diiday, intaan hambo kuu daboolay,
Hammuun iyo gaaja qaatay, adoo haqab beel ku seexday,
Intaan hurdo kuu ilaaway, ilaashay hareerahaaga,
Hungaa i xusuusinaysa.

Hayaaydana meel shishaa leh, hilawga naftaa aloosan,
Kashaa hinqanaysa goorba, hankaa i waraysanaaya,
Tolow hebel mee ku fooggan.

Aniyo hirashaa is weynay, hiigsiga noloshaa adkaaday,
Adduun iyo haybsigiisa, hangool li'idaan ku daayey,
Waxaan ku hagaagi waayey, dhankaad ku hagaagsanayde,
Adoo ka han weyn xagayga, qof kuugu han weyn dantiisa,
Cid aad ku hallaysay mooyi.

Halyeynimadaada sheelan, habawgiyo dhiirintiisa,
Ayaan halis kuu tusayne, intaan kugu hawla daalay,
Intaan kugu hooda sheegtay, intaan hebla' kuugu faanay,
Hilaada fog bay lahayde, intaan hafarkaaga qaato,
Sidaad ku heshaa da'a weyne, adiyo hammigaaga mooyi.

Habaaska inaad cantuugto, adoo hannadaan ka doortay,
Xagayga hibaan ku saaray, anigu ku habaari maayo,
Huq baase ku raadinaysa.

Hibaaq xalan maad ahayne, Hufnaanta dhibtii abuurtay,
Inaanay hadhayn yiqiinso.

Hawaala adduun rabbaa og, Dadkuna kala hoodo weeye,
Haddeer iyo tii haddeer, Hadhow iyo tii hadhow,
Hoos iyo sare tii ku raacda, Anuunbaa hooyadaa ah.

----------------------
* Male oystrich (do pay attention for those amongst us, who thinks it is the female).

Trending