Average temperature in Somalia over 95 years

World

VIP
upload_2019-7-10_10-33-34.png

From 1919 to around 1972, the temperature is quite stable and at its lowest. From around 1972 to around 1997, the temperature increased quite a bit. And from 1997 to present, there has been a very significant increase in temperature.

Can't imagine how it'll look by 2030.

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
Actually, climate models predict a dramatic increase of precipitation in Somalia once warming exceeds 1.5 degrees above pre-industrial average. If we can prevent overgrazing and loss of fledging woodlands under this period this can decrease average temperature in parts of Somalia.

Last edited:

World

VIP
Actually, climate models predict a dramatic increase of precipitation in Somalia once warming exceeds 1.5 degrees above pre-industrial average. If we can prevent overgrazing and loss of fledging woodlands under this period this can decrease average temperature in parts of Somalia.
I have read about potential precipitation increases across East Africa, though I remain sceptical given the fact that the opposite trend is happening.

However, I don't know where you got the information about decreased average temperature?

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
I have read about potential precipitation increases across East Africa, though I remain sceptical given the fact that the opposite trend is happening.

However, I don't know where you got the information about decreased average temperature?

Give it time, globally we’re at a ~1° degree increase which no models have predicted will increase precipitation. Also, the latest models predict this effect mainly in Somalia IIRC with opposite or uncertain changes elsewhere.

Woodlands and thickets decrease temperatures through a process known as evapotranspiration and also provides shade and carbon sequestering. The effect can be so dramatic as to cool an area locally by 2-4° degrees compared to open plains or bare urban areas. This is a geographically limited effect though. Might just end up being a net neutral with the warming in mind, but I’m optimistic.

Last edited:
I predict increased instances of flooding and famine in Somalia, as the flash floods remove all the nutrient top-soil and dump it into the ocean.

@World, @Prince Abubu

Somalia will get a little bit greener according to various climatic projections, see:

http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/shifts.htm

Download ''Global_Shift_A1FI_1976-2100_30m.kmz'' and open it in Google Earth.

The West should be really worried about the Maghreb and the Levant, close to Europe and they will become more unlivable in the future.

What will happen to the Horn and the Swahili-East African countries? Those regions are already lush and green.

Apollo

VIP
What will happen to the Horn and the Swahili-East African countries? Those regions are already lush and green.

The arid regions of Kenya (near Lake Turkana and Marsabit) and South Somalia (Gedo) apparantly will go from arid to semi-arid (more like the rest of South Somalia). Also, in K5 the same process will occur. Rest of Somaliweyn will say the same.

Eritrea seems to become drier by 2100. Perhaps because it is more northern while southern regions will experience a different process.

Trending

Latest posts