At 55, This Grandmum Left London To Become The First Somali Female Camel Trader in Somalia.

Meet Somalia's trailblazing female camel trader.

Zamzam Yusuf, a grandmother of 29, is breaking barriers by entering the once men-only camel trading industry in Somalia.

1070201ac3694952a0a8867137a842dc_18.jpg

Zamzam says many people, especially men, laughed at her when she told them she wanted to become a camel trader [Abdishukri Haybe/Al Jazeera]

Kismayo, Somalia - Every morning just before sunrise, Zamzam Yusuf makes the short drive between her house in Kismayo to a farm about 30 kilometres (19 miles) outside the Somali port city.

Tired with life in London where she worked as a carer for more than 10 years, the 55-year-old decided to return home three years ago.

With almost all sectors of Somalia's commerce destroyed due to more than 20 years of civil war, Zamzam spotted an - unlikely - business opportunity and swiftly acted upon it.

"Many thought it was a bad idea. Others laughed at me. My own family advised me against [it] - but it is the best business decision I have ever made," she says.

0cd896319cf54c03821c9f9ef40584b7_18.jpg

Zamzam is a camel trader, a job often reserved for men in the conservative country in the Horn of Africa.

Of the world's estimated 35 million camels, Somalia, a country of more than 15 million people, houses more than seven million camels - the highest number per country globally.

Livestock is the backbone of the Somali economy with more than 65 percent of the population engaged in some way in the industry, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. But it is extremely rare to see a woman at any of the busy camel markets in the East African country.

"When men found out what I do, they told me it is not a woman's job. That it is too difficult and I should leave it to them," Zamzam, a mother of seven, says.

The industry is lucrative with a fully mature camel costing $1,400 and the young ones going for at least $900. Most of the camels are exported to the Middle East where they command a premium.

The milk, often referred to as white gold, also brings in a decent return. In Kismayo, one litre (33.8 fluid ounces) of camel milk is sold for $1 and Zamzam's herd produces at least 400 litres (105.7 gallons) a day.

47fe186df03b4b4c8d8fd6f6264e70bb_18.jpg

The mother of seven employs 10 people and wants to expand her business [Abdishukri Haybe/Al Jazeera]

"First, I started with 30 camels. But slowly the herd has grown. Now the total is 145 camels and growing," she says, as dozens of calves bleat in the background.

"The target is to have more than 1,000 camels. God willing."

In a bid to expand her business, which employs 10 people, Zamzam decided to join forces with two other traders.

"I had no other choice but to have two men as business partners," she says. "I wish more women could join me but that is very difficult. Most women here think it is a job for men."

When she is not busy tending to her herd or dealing with orders, Zamzam spends her time visiting schools and women's workshops where she tries to convince them to give camel trading a chance.

9181a8524c5943718b5741b47b11b03c_18.jpg

Khadra Abdullahi wants to follow in Zamzam's footsteps despite the advice of some men [Abdishukri Haybe/Al Jazeera]

At Kismayo's Alanley area, Zamzam has found eager listeners among those taking sewing classes at the Awale Womens' Group.

"If a woman can raise children, which everyone agrees is a very tough work, we can easily look after camels," 32-year-old Khadra Abdullahi says.

"Camels are part of our culture and who we are. I want to become like Zamzam. If men can do it we can do it, too. We are strong, too. Some people have the wrong mindset and it is up to us women to prove them wrong." she adds, while other women in the workshop nod in agreement.

But at the city's restaurants and tea stalls, the mood is different. Men are dismissive of the idea of women joining the industry. They know of Zamzam, but in a deeply conservative society where many men believe women should stay at home, they avoid using her name when talking about her.

"My advice for the mother from the diaspora is: Looking after camels is difficult. It brings lots of work and worries. It is not a challenge a woman can handle," Khadar Khalif Hersi, a businessman, says.

"I will strongly advise her to find something else to do and to leave it to us, men. There is a reason why other women are not doing it. She should be like other women," the 40-year-old adds.

64b76119673f4feab7c6f1da1801709b_18.jpg

Khadar Khalif Hersi thinks women are not strong enough to look after camels

The industry is dominated by men who have never had to compete with a female trader and they find the idea of being challenged by Zamzam unpalatable.

But Zamzam has loyal and vocal support from the young men she has employed.

"I have been working with her for two years. I like [it] and I don't see any problems with her doing this job," Abdullahi Mohamed Aden, one of the camel herders, says.

"It is not against our religion in any way so it is OK. She is a good woman and she is doing something good. Otherwise, I wouldn't be working for her," he adds.

For Zamzam, nothing will stop her from pursuing her chosen career.

"I'm doing this for my grandchildren. I want them to come back to their country and have a good life. Life in Europe is hard and opportunities are few. Somalia has more opportunities for them," the grandmother-of-29 says.

"The men can say what they want. I will not stop. No way," she adds, laughing.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/f...zing-female-camel-trader-190909061933299.html

Last edited:
The diaspora grand-mums are challenging the patriarchal culture back home. When more women own the majority of the camels, then, they are coming for the geeljirre crown of becoming the Tribal Chief.

Wow, back home it's the women that do a lot of the labour. They are the ones that are constantly challenged and worry about their kids next meal. But now that women are entering the camel trade business, which is pretty lucrative, they want to complain about it not being a woman's job!? It's actually laughable.

Hopefully she will inspire the locals to have a bit of work ethics. Go Zamzam, love to hear and read about women that are the definition of naag nool.

Wow, back home it's the women that do a lot of the labour. They are the ones that are constantly challenged and worry about their kids next meal. But now that women are entering the camel trade business, which is pretty lucrative, they want to complain about it not being a woman's job!? It's actually laughable.

Hopefully she will inspire the locals to have a bit of work ethics. Go Zamzam, love to hear and read about women that are the definition of naag nool.

@HalimaJ

I think it’s time to establish a female only investment fund in the diaspora to create a public company that invests in trading camels. The shareholders could come from all the regions and the clans and their company will spread out to all the areas settled by Somalis. A penny owned by a female is a penny that will be spent on the family. It’s a great opportunity for the future for all Somalis that requires to be explored.

On our farm we produce a range of premium Camel Milk dairy products
to enrich the everyday lifestyle of health-conscious individuals and families.

Our range of unique Camel Milk dairy products includes Camel Milk, Soft Cheeses and Gelato. As we are constantly extending our range there is always something new to try. To find out more about Camel Dairy health benefits click here

OUR-RANGE-PERSIAN-FETA.jpg

Camel Milk Persian Feta
This soft, smooth Persian Feta made with fresh Camel Milk is rich and creamy with delicate flavours and a clean finish. Our handmade Feta is a super star ingredient on its own or a versatile addition that will make any cheese board, antipasto, salad, soup, quiche or omelette a stand out favourite.

OUR-RANGE-FROMAGE-BLANC.jpg

Camel Milk Fromage Blanc
Smooth, creamy and slightly tart, our Camel Milk Fromage Blanc is the only one of its kind in Australia. Hand-crafted with freshest Camel Milk straight from our Dairy, this delectable fresh soft cheese can be used alongside sweet or savoury flavour profiles.

OUR-RANGE-GELATO.jpg

Camel Milk Gelato
Our naturally sweet Gelato range is indulgent and incredibly healthy. It is creamy, smooth and naturally low in fat. There are multiple flavours to tempt your taste buds including Vanilla, Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Honey and Macadamia and Mixed Berry.

https://summerlandcamels.com.au/dairy-products/

Camel’s Milk Ice-Cream with Batheetha.

Camel Milk Ice-cream

upload_2019-9-17_21-45-59.jpeg upload_2019-9-17_21-46-19.jpeg

upload_2019-9-17_21-46-52.jpeg upload_2019-9-17_21-47-12.jpeg

Somalia must have been a matrilineal society prior to islam, the Queen "Araweelo" story must be based in true history.

It shows even in modern times because Somali women are very independent and it is celebrated and promoted by men also.

We don't have that "shut up and stay hidden" culture unless it is politics or pushed by those "wadaads" who spend their time emulating Arab culture and mistaking it for islam.

Well done Ayeeyo, get that money like Khadija (AS).

Somalia must have been a matrilineal society prior to islam, the Queen "Araweelo" story must be based in true history.

It shows even in modern times because Somali women are very independent and it is celebrated and promoted by men also.

We don't have that "shut up and stay hidden" culture unless it is politics or pushed by those "wadaads" who spend their time emulating Arab culture and mistaking it for islam.

Well done Ayeeyo, get that money like Khadija (AS).

@Finesse

Halimas should join forces and pool their resources into the camel trade and bring more entrepreneurship to the trade by the diversification of camel products and export it to the friendly countries overseas. Once they control the economic lifeline of Somalis, then naturally, the leadership in politics would follow suit. The only hope for a positive change in that cursed land.

@Finesse

Halimas should join forces and pool their resources into the camel trade and bring more entrepreneurship to the trade by the diversification of camel products and export it to the friendly countries overseas. Once they control the economic lifeline of Somalis, then naturally, the leadership in politics would follow suit. The only hope for a positive change in that cursed land.

I once read a study that suggested that most of the small businesses may be operated by women.
We need more in-depth studies and then insha'allah, micro-financing projects and this dream can be realised.

Women always suffer more in warfare so the more we empower women, the better.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra

Eeddo, when will you leave the frozen lakes of Minnesota and the arctic like weather of the Midwest of America? Get your 200 camels & a 21 year old Geeljire husband & live like the Somali Oprah Winfrey.

Nope. Hodan Naleya tried to be the Oprah of Somalia, and she was killed, I will never forget her!

Trending