article on eastern oromo, their settlements, their lands, etc

Oromia aka Former Somali Holdings

Happy Black And White GIF by Madman Films

We can but we choose not to.

Som

VIP
Somalis can’t even capture cities from brain dead suicide bombers what makes you think they can even sniff Oromo land.
:chrisfreshhah:
According to some historians large areas of what is now Somalia and Ogadenia was settled by oromos in the past. Somalis conquered it all

According to some historians large areas of what is now Somalia and Ogadenia was settled by oromos in the past. Somalis conquered it all

Somalis' are bigger expansionists than us lol, for sure, cause nomads tend to need water, grass, etc, more. settled farmers be chillin. lol.
don't worry guys, we'll unite and make it Oro-Malia, or Som-Oromia. Lol or something like that. The land is Allaah's, we are temporary guests on it.

Som

VIP
Somalis' are bigger expansionists than us lol, for sure, cause nomads tend to need water, grass, etc, more. settled farmers be chillin. lol.
don't worry guys, we'll unite and make it Oro-Malia, or Som-Oromia. Lol or something like that. The land is Allaah's, we are temporary guests on it.
I have to say that this theory that oromos used to inhabit large areas of Somaliweyn is a bit uncertain and not 100% confirmed but it's definitely true that we somalis conquered the horn of africa over the centuries but it was a gradual process. Somalis are huge expansionist for sure because of our nomadic culture but Oromos are probably more expansionist than us.
Oromos basically popped out of southern ethiopia in the 16th century, occupied Abyssinia and Hararghe overthrew the Habesha monarchy and installed Oromo kings as rulers of Ethiopia during zemane mesafint and then mixed with the solomonic family.
Somalis slowly expanded over 2000 years, oromos did that in just 5 centuries

World

VIP
You guys only became farmers recently

I have to say that this theory that oromos used to inhabit large areas of Somaliweyn is a bit uncertain and not 100% confirmed but it's definitely true that we somalis conquered the horn of africa over the centuries but it was a gradual process. Somalis are huge expansionist for sure because of our nomadic culture but Oromos are probably more expansionist than us.
Oromos basically popped out of southern ethiopia in the 16th century, occupied Abyssinia and Hararghe overthrew the Habesha monarchy and installed Oromo kings as rulers of Ethiopia during zemane mesafint and then mixed with the solomonic family.
Somalis slowly expanded over 2000 years, oromos did that in just 5 centuries

I agree on the Somalia part, as in, I doubt we ever occupied Somalia proper, but as far as what is known as the Ogaden, we may have had some isolated clans there.
I don't know man. The land Somali's occupy is bigger than any other ethnicity, for a reason.

Som

VIP
I agree on the Somalia part, as in, I doubt we ever occupied Somalia proper, but as far as what is known as the Ogaden, we may have had some isolated clans there.
I don't know man. The land Somali's occupy is bigger than any other ethnicity, for a reason.
I think you guys used to probably occupy small parts of Gedo region before daroods came in the 1800s, I've heard of tiny Borana minorities living in Gedo. As I said there is a theory about oromos living somalia/somaliland and being replaced by somalis but it's has zero archeological and historical basis.
I think that somalis emerged as a section of a previous protocushitic nation and destroyed all the other sections and conquered their lands. Unfortunately though we don't exactly know when somalis formed as a distinct group. The only hints is that we existed as a people in the middle ages as arab geographers mention bilad al barbar coastal cities such as zeila, mogadishu, berbera, merca etc. Unfortunately we have no idea of who lived in the internal areas of Somalia, maybe oromos, maybe somalis, maybe both we can't know for sure.Anyway most of somalia proper is empty arid land, so while we may have conquered others it was still underpopulated so that's part of the reason why we have such a large territory

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
50% of hararghe oromos are just other groups that now speak afaan oromo. Ittu are mostly harari and afar and afran qallo are mostly harari and somali

I think you guys used to probably occupy small parts of Gedo region before daroods came in the 1800s, I've heard of tiny Borana minorities living in Gedo. As I said there is a theory about oromos living somalia/somaliland and being replaced by somalis but it's has zero archeological and historical basis.
I think that somalis emerged as a section of a previous protocushitic nation and destroyed all the other sections and conquered their lands. Unfortunately though we don't exactly know when somalis formed as a distinct group. The only hints is that we existed as a people in the middle ages as arab geographers mention bilad al barbar coastal cities such as zeila, mogadishu, berbera, merca etc. Unfortunately we have no idea of who lived in the internal areas of Somalia, maybe oromos, maybe somalis, maybe both we can't know for sure.Anyway most of somalia proper is empty arid land, so while we may have conquered others it was still underpopulated so that's part of the reason why we have such a large territory
That is possible. But agreed, there is no solid proof of a significant presence of OROMO in somalia proper. But for sure, we had clans in JUBALAND who got conquered by the Ogaden. I believe the Muhammad Zubayr subclan? Those Oromo are known as warday. They are known to us as Orma.
Both of our societies didn't necessarily write things down. Our history was passed down by poetry and speech. The Abyssinians kept chronicles and written records.
Our tradition has our Homeland being the cool lands around Bale. The ancestors of the Abyssinians came from southern Arabian in the before Christ era, from most historical accounts. But of course, they deny this a lot lol

Jarso are Ormo right?
Some Somalis are claiming to be Somali😀

Yes Jarso are Oromo who have become a bit somali-ized due to marrying with and interacting with the Gerri Somalis. Initially the Jarso were told to join Somali state but the Gerri were wanting to dominate them, as seen at the 1992 Somali clans conference in Deghabur, when they refused to let the Jarso have a seat there. So heavy fighting broke out in places like Tuli Guled, Chinaksen, Qorcher, etc.
We consider Jarso as sons of the Barentu Oromo family , the eastern Oromo are:
Babile, Jarso, Nole, Ittu, Anniya, Ala, Obborra.

DalsanJubiland

HartilandWaamoJoore
Yes Jarso are Oromo who have become a bit somali-ized due to marrying with and interacting with the Gerri Somalis. Initially the Jarso were told to join Somali state but the Gerri were wanting to dominate them, as seen at the 1992 Somali clans conference in Deghabur, when they refused to let the Jarso have a seat there. So heavy fighting broke out in places like Tuli Guled, Chinaksen, Qorcher, etc.
We consider Jarso as sons of the Barentu Oromo family , the eastern Oromo are:
Babile, Jarso, Nole, Ittu, Anniya, Ala, Obborra.
Thanks man
Some Somali clan Call Dir are claiming Jarso as one of them, so that they can compete with dominant majority tribe in Somali State Absame.
Thanks for clarifying JARSO are ORMO.

Oromo originate in Mada Walabu, which is the western Bale mountains. The eastern Bale mountains was an Islamic sultanate and along the Shabelle south of here was the original homeland of the Garre. From here they conquered many peoples.

The Boorana, who have 8 year age sets as a highland pastoralist cushitic people, and their age sets are Mardida (1968) Darara (1976) Libasa (1984) Sabbaqa (1992) Moggaasa (2000) Makula (2008) Fullasa (2016). Boorana expanded southwards towards Kenya for the last 400 years. The Borana moeities are Sabbo and Gona.

Barentuma was a related but seperate tribe from Boorana and this you can tell in that they have different age sets. Barentuma age sets are Biifolee (1946) Michille (1954) Harmuufaa (1962) Roobalee (1970) Birmaji (1978) Mullataa (1986) Duulo (1994) Melbaa (2002) Muudanaa (2010) Kilollee (2018). Barentuma moeities are Ittu and Humbanna. Barentuma expanded northwards conquering many Somali clans and other unrelated tribes like the Maya, who are now a clan of Barentuma, as are various Somali and Gurage clans in what is now Oromo Hararghe. Prior to their conquest there was a powerful Jarso Dir kingdom here called Dawaro. Jarso are now a divided people with some speaking Somali languages and identify as a Dir clan, and others speaking Oromo languages and identify as a Barentuma Oromo clan.

The distinct origin of the different tribes that have been Oromofied over the centuries is revealed by the age grades. There is an ancient divide between the ancestors of Somalis and other lowland peoples from highland peoples. Lowland people have 7 year age grades (or none after they become Muslims or Christians) and highland people have 8 year age grades.

The Gujji for instance are an ancient conquest of the Borana, who were subjugated long ago. They were originally their own tribe of highland people, they have their own age grades. Guji age sets are every 8 years and are Mudana (1984) Robale (1992) Halchiisa (2000) Harmuufa (2008) Dhallana (2016). Guji will tell you of their history and how they were their own tribe originally.

Gabbra, as they are descended from the same population as Rendille and Somali, they have age sets of 7 years, but each set is every 2 sets of 7 years so they are 14 years apart. The sets are Waguura Wakhoora Gurjaba Affata Manguba Dambala. Gabbra moeities are Lossa and Jiblo. Gabbra is not the name they have for themselves the name means servant, this name was given to them by the Borana, they were originally a group of related tribes of lowland east cushitic descent that lived near the Borana, and are related to Rendille and Digil Somali clans like the Iroole and Dabarre.

Rendille like Gabbra have 7 year age sets, where the sets by custom only change every second 7 years so 14 years. Their age sets are Irbaangudo (1937) D'fgudo (1951) Irbaalis (1965) Libaale (1979) Irbaandif (1993) Dismaala (2007). Rendille moeities are Saale and Dubsahay. Due to their isolation due to their inaccessible location, Rendille have been left alone to maintain many ancient customs that have completely disappeared from Somali culture.

While many of these customs have disappeared from Somali society, some fragments remain. Some Somali clans still have age grades for instance, which in Somali clans is ilgir bobto bombi meggia mulli harkugif. Just like with Oromo and Rendille, Somali men become Ilgir when they are circumcized, so this I believe is a holdover of pre-Islamic social organization that continues in practice due to its utility. Traditionally, men could not become bombi until they killed an enemy tribe, which is also ancient custom shared with other tribes like Borana to graduate to a manhood grade.
If we assume that Somalis had 14 year age sets in pre-Islamic times, Rendille have the exact same number of age grades, 6 of them, and follow the same progression as the Somali age grades, though instead of bombi, meggia, mulli and harkugif rendille instead have four grades (junior, middle, senior and retired) of their full manhood grade of makhabal.

Trending