Are there actually any apartment buildings in Somalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
From my time in Somalia I only saw villas and corporate buildings, but AFAIK no residential apartment buildings people live in.

How come, or am I wrong? I was just reading something about the negatives of urban sprawl and then remembered that Somalia only has nonstop urban sprawl.

upload_2017-2-25_16-1-56.png

36926.jpg

tedx%2Bmogadishu%2BsSawirro.jpg

I heard they are building more aparments in the future since most of the aparments that were build recentlt became a success

I suspected Mogadishu and Hargeisa might have some.

But the rest of Somalia, there are like close to zero. The f*ck is going on? Bad city planning.

Since Hargeisa and Mogadishu are the most populated cities in Somalia then it will have good city planning..

It depends on the population..

Also mogadishu is the main capital of Somalia then most investers will most likely invest in mogadishu..

Oscar

Het beste uitzicht
Somalis have and buy Large lands, they don't like to be all clustered up close and live on top of each other. Personally I think high-rise apartment buildings is not something we need

Apollo

VIP
Somalis have and buy Large lands, they don't like to be all clustered up close and live on top of each other. Personally I think high-rise apartment buildings is not something we need

Dense cities have an economic advantage. Especially in the future when public transport will become high speed and even more advanced.

From my time in Somalia I only saw villas and corporate buildings, but AFAIK no residential apartment buildings people live in.

How come, or am I wrong? I was just reading something about the negatives of urban sprawl and then remembered that Somalia only has nonstop urban sprawl.

It's a combination of a lack civil and urban engineers who know how to build high-rises and the fact that Somalis tend to copy one another. I've often thought the same thing. We would conserve so much land if we built high-rise apartments and at the same time house many homeless people.

I suspected Mogadishu and Hargeisa might have some.

But the rest of Somalia, there are like close to zero. The f*ck is going on? Bad city planning.

Honestly, the only place that can be called a city in Somalia is Mogadishu. The rest of the country just has overgrown slums. No planning, no streets, no plumbing and waste management, no water etc.

It's a combination of a lack civil and urban engineers who know how to build high-rises and the fact that Somalis tend to copy one another. I've often thought the same thing. We would conserve so much land if we built high-rise apartments and at the same time house many homeless people.

Somalia has a population equivalent to Sweden but is 1.5 times bigger, so conversing land will not be problem.

In worse case it might make the cities bigger by include suburban areas

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
Honestly, the only place that can be called a city in Somalia is Mogadishu. The rest of the country just has overgrown slums. No planning, no streets, no plumbing and waste management, no water etc.

Reer mogadishu are lucky because all they have to do is look around old buildings that survived the war and copy them. I love the white washed coral budilings not to mention they also have the pre-existing city and street layouts. In hargeisa we don't have that luxury, every reer badiyo erects a pink high rised building with bathroom tiles :bell:

Reer mogadishu are lucky because all they have to do is look around old buildings that survived the war and copy them. I love the white washed coral budilings not to mention they also have the pre-existing city and street layouts. In hargeisa we don't have that luxury, every reer badiyo erects a pink high rised building with bathroom tiles :bell:

I like the pink color:manny:

Somalia has a population equivalent to Sweden but is 1.5 times bigger, so conversing land will not be problem.

In worse case it might make the cities bigger by include suburban areas

I was thinking more of an agricultural and mining side of things. We are resource poor when it comes to arable land and forestry. We need to allocate as much land as possible to growing food and mining minerals. But yes, you're right, Somalis are blessed with a lot of land.

Yeah Somalis need to go back to the classic whitewashed coralstone buildings. This multicoloured bathroom tiled monstrosities are making me go blind.:susp:

I agree with @Oscar

In Somalia we have large land so there's really no point of building aparments when we can have our own
I was thinking more of an agricultural and mining side of things. We are resource poor when it comes to arable land and forestry. We need to allocate as much land as possible to growing food and mining minerals. But yes, you're right, Somalis are blessed with a lot of land.

I am pretty sure the Juba and Shabelle rivers are enough to feed Somalia

Galaeri

USC | Ururka Bililiqada iyo Kufsiga
Yeah Somalis need to go back to the classic whitewashed coralstone buildings. This multicoloured bathroom tiled monstrosities are making me go blind.:susp:

I have seen mismatching tile work :dead:

The worst thing I have seen is when they put broken tiles into the concrete :dead:

Maybe less than 5 "apartment buildings" in the entire country.

I personally wouldn't get inside a building that is more than 1 floor in Somalia. Who knows if it will collapse? Not safe at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.