Are people in Somalia too damaged by war to function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if for the past 30 years there was been war and or chaos, that means everyone under the age 45 in Somalia has grown up in combat and everyone over that age has probably grown up inciting it in some way.

And the war has left them physically, emotionally, and psychologically damaged. How can someone who grows up in that level of violence ever think normally? I think the amount of not mentally affects individuals would be very low.

Even when I’ve met people who have grown up in Somalia, there’s usually something missing, or not 100% upstairs.

if for the past 30 years there was been war and or chaos, that means everyone under the age 45 in Somalia has grown up in combat and everyone over that age has probably grown up inciting it in some way.

And the war has left them physically, emotionally, and psychologically damaged. How can someone who grows up in that level of violence ever think normally? I think the amount of not mentally affects individuals would be very low.

Even when I’ve met people who have grown up in Somalia, there’s usually something missing, or not 100% upstairs.
I think you hit the nail on the head, I'm sure we can discuss this topic for hours however the fundamental issue in Somalia is that there has been a lack of any sort of institutions or stable government for almost 30 years. Couple that with nonstop violence and humanitarian crises it's apparent that there would be a significant portion of the population with mental health issues.
In the west, specifically the US when a soldier comes back from a combat deployment there is a high chance of PTSD forming and that soldier becoming mentally unstable. Compare that to a child whose grown up in those conditions and has no military training or medical interventions.

Aaegal

I have no proof, only whispers
Also, how do you control people who grew up in chaos. I feel like they would be less likely to respect the rule of law if it were to be implemented.

Shaolin23

Seeker of knowledge and truth

I completely agree

There is no doubt about the war in 1990s having a negative and traumatizing effect on most Somalis.But other then that war,some places has been peaceful like the north(not all places), unlike the south. So I wouldn't imply that all Somalis that grew up there have experienced war.

But then I do feel that something is not right with most Somalis from there. I guess that's due to the lack of basic services like education and infrastructure . I also believe that certain aspects of our culture is also partially to be blamed . This could be changed if the educated diaspora(not the ghetto trashy ones :susp:) comes back and try to contribute.

If you leave out those that contributed to the war directly or indirectly (mostly males) who are bound to suffer the consequences of their actions including their children and those that were orphaned with no one to look after.

The rest of them are fine and in far better health then the ones I see in the diaspora on every conceivable metric, weather it's religion, health, intelligence or wealth.

Last edited:

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
I’ve seen the way mentally ill are treated back home their chained to a wall like a animal

I think the war has affected a lot of people and it’s even worse when the government isn’t helping the people there’s no justice especially if you’re from a minority clan wether it’s land dispute or you been sexually assaulted if you’re not from the right clan there won’t be no justice for you ever

What’s the point of having a government when clans can overrule them?

If you leave out those that contributed to the war directly or indirectly (mostly males) who are bound to suffer the consequences of their actions including their children and those that were orphaned with no one to look after.
That number alone would still be too high

For some reason the women in Somalia are mostly normal and intelligent like you said but the men have been greatly affected. A lot of them think it’s normal to do things like corner a woman or touch her, etc they just lack basic human decency

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Some are damaged others are not, BUT the UN DEVILS say that it 1 AND 3 Somalis are mentally unwell.

I read a persuasive report/study that claims trauma can be inherited and children who’ve never been to a war zone may exhibit trauma related symptoms and illnesses. Any idea if that’s the case with those born and bred in the diaspora?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending