Are Oromos mostly muslim?

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
the habr awal subdivision of the oromo are mostly muslim, Don’t know about the rest tho.
Frustrated Fainting GIF

they are over 30% christcucked and i'd barely call their "Muslim" population muslim due to them doing pagan shit

Do you know any Oromos to make these claims?

Majority of Oromos are Muslim, and a large percentage are practicing. Those who practice, you don’t see as they’re usually doing their daily duties and at the masjid.

I won’t lie and say there are those that pet take the Waaq religion irrecha celebrations but that’s a very small percentage compared to the Oromo Muslim populations.

Those who live near to Somalis and Afar are real Muslims, but when you start to move away, you will find pagans and Christians

Those who live near to Somalis and Afar are real Muslims, but when you start to move away, you will find pagans and Christians

There are real practicing Muslims in the west as well. But just like any society, there are those who are not strong on deen. Jimma has a lot of Oromo scholars respected throughout the country, not by only Oromos but others as well. There are those that do their very best, those struggling and those that are Muslim by name. We can’t judge them, not our place. And definitely not the place of the dude making assumptions of an entire ethnicity he more than sure has never encountered.

also yes, the further from the east, the more diverse it gets. In the south, you’d see Islam and Waaqefta, central(Shawa) mostly orthodox Christians and in the west it’s Islam in Jimma, Pente in Wallaga and a bit of a mix in illu.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
There are real practicing Muslims in the west as well. But just like any society, there are those who are not strong on deen. Jimma has a lot of Oromo scholars respected throughout the country, not by only Oromos but others as well. There are those that do their very best, those struggling and those that are Muslim by name. We can’t judge them, not our place. And definitely not the place of the dude making assumptions of an entire ethnicity he more than sure has never encountered.

also yes, the further from the east, the more diverse it gets. In the south, you’d see Islam and Waaqefta, central(Shawa) mostly orthodox Christians and in the west it’s Islam in Jimma, Pente in Wallaga and a bit of a mix in illu.

Isn't that an engraving of Somalis in your dp, by the way? Not that that's an issue. We first cousins, after all.

Isn't that an engraving of Somalis in your dp, by the way? Not that that's an issue. We first cousins, after all.
From what I recall, it was a picture of Hararge Oromos in the 19th century performing a traditional dance called dhichissa with the bilawa.

It could also be Somalis. I don’t know the actual background. I came across is years ago with this description.

very informative and I apologize for the ignorant people on this thread

It's from the 19th-century, Somalis doing a war-dance:
1670336625349.jpeg

1670336631102.png

It was called "Borama-Boromsi". They were Gadabursi:

One of the most striking dances in the Somali(Gadabursi) repertoire, called the “Boroma-Boromsi” dance. Surrounded by an ever-restless chanting chorus of spearmen, the two combatants — one attacking fiercely with cutlass, the other defending desperately with his small Somali shield — seem to be in grim and deadly earnest, and none would believe them to be at play.

The defender sinks to the ground and abjectly craves mercy, while the chorus, dancing more madly, chant “Boorama Boromsi Boromsa.” The conqueror pins his victim and prepares to give the final blow but, like an ancient gladiator, turns to the spectators to ask the beaten one’s fate.

GemState

36/21
VIP
Do you know any Oromos to make these claims?

Majority of Oromos are Muslim, and a large percentage are practicing. Those who practice, you don’t see as they’re usually doing their daily duties and at the masjid.

I won’t lie and say there are those that pet take the Waaq religion irrecha celebrations but that’s a very small percentage compared to the Oromo Muslim populations.
Are Oromo Muslims becoming more conservative?

It's from the 19th-century, Somalis doing a war-dance:
View attachment 245093
View attachment 245094

It was called "Borama-Boromsi". They were Gadabursi:

One of the most striking dances in the Somali(Gadabursi) repertoire, called the “Boroma-Boromsi” dance. Surrounded by an ever-restless chanting chorus of spearmen, the two combatants — one attacking fiercely with cutlass, the other defending desperately with his small Somali shield — seem to be in grim and deadly earnest, and none would believe them to be at play.

The defender sinks to the ground and abjectly craves mercy, while the chorus, dancing more madly, chant “Boorama Boromsi Boromsa.” The conqueror pins his victim and prepares to give the final blow but, like an ancient gladiator, turns to the spectators to ask the beaten one’s fate.

Thanks for this! I can now change my dp, still a dope pic.

Hamzza

VIP
You've interacted with a handful of Oromos, from a nation of over 40 million, yet say this malicious lie of yours. Hilarious indeed sir.
It's true some so-called Muslim Oromos are pathetic and do many pagan rituals like the Irreecha bs + in the centre of the Oromo flag, there is the Tree the Oromos used to worship. In short, the Oromo identity is built on pagan beliefs.

Last edited:

Trending