Are most Somalis lactose intolerant?

I think your under the impression I believe in a low protein diet and/or low animal product diet?
I myself usually get around 250 grams of protein a day, largely from milk, cheese, gelatin, organ and muscle meat. My diet is pretty much completely animal products + fruit.

I agree with a lot of what you said, the only things I disagree with is your position on carbs/sugar and protein/meat with regards to longevity.

Methionine, an amino acid found in meat, has been linked to lower life expectancies many times:
nature.com/articles/s42003-021-02254-3#Sec2
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4049285/
This is very well established, this isn't to say meat is bad for you, but that meat has its downsides, which is why i said to consume gelatin, a rich source of glycine which depletes your body of methionine and to also take niacin, they will alleviate this issue. Methionine and leucine restriction has been shown to improve lifespan to a similar degree as fasting (without the taxing stress), largely via inducing autophagy among other pathways.

There are studies like this that show protein/meat intake is associated with decreaed life expectancy, and they show plant based protein options don't have these same issues, or at least, not to the same degree, again, don't think im arguing that meat is bad or whatever, but plant based options don't have much methionine and leucine but these 2 amino acids are going to inevitably be high on a meat based diet and they will take years off of your life.
I'm saying this to say muscle meat shouldn't be your only source of protein, stuff like eggs, gelatin and dairy should be included, this was my intial point, not that meat or protein is bad, just don't rely on muscle meat. This doesn't even clash with the "Carnivore diet" AFAIK.

Fructose, which is found in fruits, honey and all this processed gunk is inappropriate for the human body. It has pretty much zero use in our bodies and is much more biased than glucose toward ending up as visceral fat which an eventual excess of is literally what in time causes type-2 diabetes and heart-disease which both my father and @El Nino's father have:
These are just a few studies that prove fructose does have use in our bodies.
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3631273/
academic.oup.com/ajcn/article-abstract/49/6/1290/4651041?login=false
sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S8756328208000823
diabetesjournals.org/diabetes/article/51/2/469/34419/Inclusion-of-Low-Amounts-of-Fructose-With-an
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6238213/
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1221903/

A lot of the problems with sugar is due to other issues in ones diet, high PUFA intake, low B vitamins means the sugar wont be metabolised properly, consuming sugar alongside B vitamins, particularly, Thiamine, will allow for proper carb/sugar metabolism, any study showing sugar leads to diabetes and/or heart disease doesn't control for these factors without fail.
men-elite.com/2019/08/16/the-ultimate-guide-on-lipogenesis/
men-elite.com/2019/04/19/what-the-fruit/

Also, you need to address why literally every single blue zone diet has Carbs intake higher than Protein intake, you can say the degree to which they consume carbs is exaggerated but its well established that they all eat more Carbs than Protein, and its often not even close, Okinawa Carb to Protein percentages is around 72% to 20%, I'd advocate for something closer to 50% to 25%, but this is pretty strong evidence for the importance of Carbs.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Methionine, an amino acid found in meat, has been linked to lower life expectancies many times: ...

Haven't reviewed this in a while and I'm quite busy nowadays so forgive me but these are mostly nonsensical rat studies, from what I recall. Giving rats high doses of a certain nutrient, often in isolation of all the other nutrients and factors it would be interacting with then demonizing a particular nutrient as a result when you get a negative result. That along with, in my experience, nonsense associational studies that can't remotely reliably control for a myriad of other factors like where the protein is coming from, what they're eating with the protein, other life-style factors and so on. Methionine demonization is mostly reductionist nonsense, as far as I've seen. Believe Harry Serpanos touched on it once:

Believe me, the higher the animal protein the better but it's your life. Not here to shout from the roof tops at you. That being said, I do advise people to not be obsessive about just ruminant meats and to eat more thoroughly like many 3rd worlders do when dealing with meat. Seafood comes with more Taurine, Poultry tends to have more of the B-vitamins, Eggs have lots of choline which can be important for some people, raw dairy has the benefit of probiotics and extra minerals with SFAs... Lots of people do just fine on steak, salt and water but it's not ideal in my opinion nor ancestrally indicated.

Also, you need to address why literally every single blue zone diet has Carbs intake higher than Protein intake, you can say the degree to which they consume carbs is exaggerated but its well established that they all eat more Carbs than Protein, and its often not even close, Okinawa Carb to Protein percentages is around 72% to 20%, I'd advocate for something closer to 50% to 25%, but this is pretty strong evidence for the importance of Carbs.

This doesn't need much addressing, xawey, because it's patently false. The amount of carbs or plant matter these groups ate was seemingly grossly exaggerated by plant-based clown researchers. Go to Greek islands like Ikaria or more traditionalist mountainous parts of Greece to this day. They mostly ate things like meat and caprinae dairy with very little grains, olive oil or anything like that. Those environments aren't even conducive towards anything other than mild gardening (i.e. herbs, spices and tobacco) and keeping animals like sheep and goats, since they're rocky and hilly. Here it is straight from the horses' mouth:

The same is true for Sardinians and those Costa-Ricans and it's well-known the data on Okinawans is a sham from a period where there was a severe food shortage and they were forced to eat lots of sweet potato over their usual pork which apparently made up the bulk of their diet:

Even the most plant and carb-ized of the bunch like Seventh Day Adventists were getting like 50% of their "calories" or more from Dairy products:

All very high protein, high animal protein diets and in many cases not much carbs at all, xawey. Besides, the stable isotopic data is clear on the fact that early Humans did not eat much in the way of plants and carbs, especially the farther back you go and what we can see of surviving HG groups is that they were fairly long lived and pre-historic HGs were overall far more robust than any of us today on average, with often even larger craniums. Carbs over protein? No, I would say.

These are just a few studies that prove fructose does have use in our bodies.
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3631273/
academic.oup.com/ajcn/article-abstract/49/6/1290/4651041?login=false
sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S8756328208000823
diabetesjournals.org/diabetes/article/51/2/469/34419/Inclusion-of-Low-Amounts-of-Fructose-With-an
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6238213/
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1221903/

We're not rats. I don't care how much they try to har-har about the genetic similarities. The actual physiologic differences are quite great and they're far more omnivorous than us, as far as I've seen. So most of these studies, as far as I'm concerned, are worth very little. Here's the only human study:

And, funnily enough, if I am to be kind and ignore how insignificant and inappropriate its sampling size is, it's premise alone is complete band-aid nonsense I've addressed elsewhere:

Cx4BH6a.png

That also debunks these rat studies:

Minerals are most bioavailable in animal foods. Magnesium and Manganese amounts required are overstated and like 50% or more of bone is collagen in reality while vitamins rich in animal foods like K2 and D3, if I recall correctly, are crucial for proper calcium absorption for the bones. Chugging fructose as a band-aid is vastly inferior to this, I'm afraid.

Furthermore, none of these, as far as I've skimmed, show any actual use, especially an essential one, in the body. Just possible, quirky, likely dose dependent benefits to tissues like the liver and heart in rats that don't negate things like its bias toward visceral fat accumulation and that it is orders of magnitude more glycative than glucose and will thus slowly but surely damage your blood vessels and age you. When you can show me fructose actually having uses like muscle glycogen and uses in cells all over the body and the human body actually producing some of it by itself like with glucose rather than sending it straight to the liver like a toxin, we can perhaps talk more on this, xawey.

A lot of the problems with sugar is due to other issues in ones diet, high PUFA intake, low B vitamins means the sugar wont be metabolised properly, consuming sugar alongside B vitamins, particularly, Thiamine, will allow for proper carb/sugar metabolism, any study showing sugar leads to diabetes and/or heart disease doesn't control for these factors without fail.

Not convinced, xawey. No one eats PUFA seed oils in my household. At best just olive oil and butter for cooking and they at least consume decent amounts of meat, chicken and fish while taking B-vitamin supplements and yet they're still overweight and suffering the issues that come with that due to the copious amounts of things like rice and pasta. The randle cycle is at play here. I don't buy this notion that fat + carbs is only bad when you mix it with PUFAs.

But, to be honest, even if sugar wouldn't cause metabolic dysfunction and weight gain if you avoided seed oils or plant oils in general then ate lots of nutrient dense animal foods I'd still avoid it due to its glycative effects that are plain to see on both Ray Peat and Paul Saladino. The latter is getting more and more absurdly wrinkly in his 40s and seemingly concealing hair greying with hair dye while the other is less coherent than my "eat whatever I want" awoowe was in his 90s despite being in his 80s. Some glucose from dairy and white-race, especially if you're athletic and muscular, never hurt no one but the Ray Peat crowd can miss me with that fiber and antinutrients carrying fructose in fruits while pretending humans guzzled near liters of honey every few days.

I'll leave it at that. You're free to disagree.

Trending

Latest posts