Are most Oromos just assimilate non-Oromos, or was there high mixing with the locals?

I think of the latter

I don't believe most Oromos today are just assimilated people and not much mixing with the original Gallas happen. Most Oromos weather they were assimilated Somalis, many Ethio-semitic speakers, or others, they tend to have higher level of Omotic among them relative to the population they deemed closer to them. I think the Original Oromo brought more Omotic admixture.

There are still many Ethio-Semitic speakers left in Southern/Eastern Ethiopia, If Oromos were just assimilated from the former group than the difference wouldn't be striking even physically.

omotic-levels.png

Gacanka Cadmeed

انا عربي, سْنْمْ هَنولاتو‌‌‌‌, Free Azawad, 🇾🇪
I think of the latter

I don't believe most Oromos today are just assimilated people and not much mixing with the original Gallas happen. Most Oromos weather they were assimilated Somalis, many Ethio-semitic speakers, or others, they tend to have higher level of Omotic among them relative to the population they deemed closer to them. I think the Original Oromo brought more Omotic admixture.

There are still many Ethio-Semitic speakers left in Southern/Eastern Ethiopia, If Oromos were just assimilated from the former group than the difference wouldn't be striking even physically.

omotic-levels.png
East haraghe oromos still look very Somali and have lower omotic DNA than most oromos. Also, I thought oromos hate to be called Gaallas.

Som

VIP
Oromos assimilated many people.
There's no "pure" oromo anymore.
Orthodox oromos are basically oromo speaking amharas, muslim oromos have heavy somali or afar admixture.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
I think of the latter

omotic-levels.png
It depends on where they’re from. Oromos from say guji or jimma are probably the most omotic wheras oromos from say hararghe or wollo are probably the least omotic. The rest are kind of in the middle but when it comes to additional Semitic blood oromos from hararghe, shewa and arsi would have the most semetic blood

Apollo

VIP
@Apollo What exactly is this Omotic DNA? If Oromos and Somalis are related why don't Somalis have this Omotic DNA too?

The original Omotic people were the same as Cushites.

What people think of Omotic is mostly Paleolithic Ethiopian hunter-gatherer. Those people actually didn't speak Omotic nor Afro-Asiatic, but it is highest in some South Omotic populations.

What people think of Omotic is mostly Paleolithic Ethiopian hunter-gatherer. Those people actually didn't speak Omotic nor Afro-Asiatic, but it is highest in some South Omotic populations.
Interesting. So these hunter-gatherer how did they look like? :hmm: Are they similar to the hunter gatherers that make up a part of the somali DNA?

Apollo

VIP
Interesting. So these hunter-gatherer how did they look like? :hmm: Are they similar to the hunter gatherers that make up a part of the somali DNA?

They looked like South Omotic people. They look like Nilotes, but a bit shorter and slightly lighter skinned.

Somalis don't have this ancestry, except for some K5 and NFD people.

They looked like South Omotic people. They look like Nilotes, but a bit shorter and slightly lighter skinned.

Somalis don't have this ancestry, except for some K5 and NFD people.
They have E1b1b dont they? I cant seem to find what their major Y DNA is.

Apollo

VIP
They have E1b1b dont they? I cant seem to find what their major Y DNA is.

Those are the Afro-Asiatic lineages they have due to admixture from Afro-Asiatic agropastoralists.

This is the actual paleolithic Ethiopian hunter-gatherer paternal marker E1b1a2 (E-M329). It is not widespread, suggesting it was carried by hunter-gatherers who never got far.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP

Yh I noticed that, I saw this one girl who was yem (an omotic group) and was a lightskin with soft hair. I though she was an assimilated habesha but I’m starting to think lots of omotics look like her

Is that why Woleytas just look like Habeshas?

Those are the Afro-Asiatic lineages they have due to admixture from Afro-Asiatic agropastoralists.

This is the actual paleolithic Ethiopian hunter-gatherer paternal marker E1b1a2 (E-M329). It is not widespread, suggesting it was carried by hunter-gatherers who never got far.

Ahh i see, however this is very strange. Surely this will be found later on to be an unrelated Y marker. What is their connection to the Niger Congo E1b1a?

Apollo

VIP
Ahh i see, however this is very strange. Surely this will be found later on to be an unrelated Y marker. What is their connection to the Niger Congo E1b1a?

It is better to focus on the mutation names than the outdated a1 b2 a3 b etc system. E-M2 and E-M329 are unrelated for about 40,000 years. So they aren't paternally that close to Niger-Congo (diverged in the paleolithic).

Trending