Are moores black?

Am just confused by moores if they were black or not because when I was doing research I found
a lot of moores painting in European museums but it depicted them as black and in famous Shakespeare play called (tragedy of othello) and it shows the moores as black predominantly west African Black. So what’s ur opinion are they black or just North African?

When europeans mentioned "moors" they were referring to a cluster f*ck of different north african ethnicites. So to answer your question, Yes and No.

I'm just confused by moores if they were black or not because when I was doing research I found
a lot of moores painting in European museums but it depicted them as black and in famous Shakespeare play called (tragedy of othello) and it shows the moores as black predominantly west African Black. So what’s ur opinion are they black or just North African?
Moor = North African Berber/Arab Muslim. They weren't sub-Saharan for the most part but there were black moors who were used as slaves by Berber/Arab elites of Al-Andalus.

Moors being sub-Saharan black people is just Afrocentric drivel that African Americans love to go on about.

Is fulani consider black Arab because they r mix with Arab too and Muslim and the hausa people speak the Afro asiatic language and Muslim majority maybe they are the black moores they speak about
Fulani are Afro-Asiatic people but they aren't genetically Semitic Arabs or follow Arab culture. There are cultural black Arabs (kind of like Swahili people) as in they speak Arabic and follow aspects of Arab culture but they're not Semitic by blood.

You would find Moors of heavily African descent, sure. Were the Moors only of West African or Sahelian heritage? No. I guess up to 70% were what you see with modern Magrebis. I think 30% were either genetically majority West African and Southern Saharan descendants or had substantially Sub-Saharan African-related ancestry.

People who think Moors were only "pure" Berber or Arab types are delving into applying definitions of distinctions we see the world through the lens of today, a fallacy worldview of low dynamic (stasis), contrary to the actual vibrant history.

Is fulani consider black Arab because they r mix with Arab too and Muslim and the hausa people speak the Afro asiatic language and Muslim majority maybe they are the black moores they speak about
Fulani have some Berber ancestry not Arab and Hausa speak Hausa not Arabic so they wouldn't be Arabs even if they speak an AA language. The Moors for the most part were Berber Muslims with minority of Black SSA and ME Arabs.

Fulani are Afro-Asiatic people but they aren't genetically Semitic Arabs or follow Arab culture. There are cultural black Arabs (kind of like Swahili people) as in they speak Arabic and follow aspects of Arab culture but they're not Semitic by blood.
Fulanis are not Afro-Asiatic speaking unless you mean the groups who also speak Hausa. They do have significant ancient North African ancestry.

Fulanis are not Afro-Asiatic speaking unless you mean the groups who also speak Hausa. They do have significant ancient North African ancestry.
Yes, there is an overlap between Hausa (who speak an Afro-Asiatic language) and Fulanis but Fulanis speak Fula which is a Sene-Gambian language. My mistake.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Am just confused by moores if they were black or not because when I was doing research I found

Well Yes, and NO. Yes- they probably mean the Mamluq amirs or race who took over the ottomans arab leaders late after the conquest of Arabs went down.

And No, as the moores was a general blanket name for Middle eastern merchants who compared to ghost like white pale skin of the European appeared 'black' -both mamluqs who were former slaves-- and the Abaas's and muaawiyas were boxed together

You'd be surprised to find the number for Zanzibar swahilis with Paternal Arab ancestry

The Moors were a mix of Berbers, Some Arabs and a smaller % of those of Sub-Saharan descent. The reason why the Moors are seen as wholly black in the UK is because of Shakespeare’s Othello which depicted the main character as a Moor of sub-Saharan heritage. Ignorance, also plays a role. I remember in primary school we were taught that there were black African Romans in Britain. The ‘black Romans’ they were talking about were Romans of Libyan and Tunisian heritage who wouldn’t have looked that different from their their Mediterranean cousins who were from Rome or Pompeii or any other Mediterranean area conquered by the Romans. It’s just woke nonsense and people ascribing anything that is African to ‘blackness’.

I also remember my English literature teacher who tried to correct me by saying that all Moors were black when I said that the Moors were mostly of Berber and Arab backgrounds.I was a little annoying know it all as a teen and I remember arguing back telling her that although black Moors definitely existed, the Caliphs, the generals and those in command were most definitely of mostly Arab and Berber extraction and therefore the term Moor cannot be solely be attributed to black people. For goodness sake one of the images she showed us was of a clearly light skin Arab man who was at the court of Queen Elizabeth I in the late 1500s as an ambassador.

Furthermore, another reason why Moors were described as ‘black’ despite many of them being Arab and Berber was because Europeans at the time called any group with dark features as ‘black’. Example, you have the black Irish who are indeed white and of a lighter complexion but due to their very dark hair they are called that. Same with the Welsh with some being tanned and dark haired. If we were to look at the term ‘black Irish’ without any context we would assume that there were black people in Ireland running around centuries ago.

Last edited:

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
The Moors were a mix of Berbers, Some Arabs and a smaller % of those of Sub-Saharan descent. The reason why the Moors are seen as wholly black in the UK is because of Shakespeare’s Othello which depicted the main character as a Moor of sub-Saharan descent. Ignorance also plays a role. I remember in primary school were used to be taught that there were black African Romans in Britain. The ‘black Romans’ they were talking about were Romans of Libyan and Tunisian heritage who wouldn’t have looked that different from their their Mediterranean cousins who were from Rome or Pompeii or any other Mediterranean area conquered by the Romans. It’s just woke nonsense and people ascribing anything that is African to ‘blackness’.

I also remember my English literature teacher who tried to correct me by saying that all Moors were black when I said that the Moors were mostly of Berber and Arab heritage. I was a little shitty know it all as a teen and I remember arguing back telling her that although black Moors definitely existed, the Caliphs, the generals and those in command were most definitely of mostly Arab and Berber extraction and therefore the term Moor cannot be solely be attributed to black people. For goodness sake one of the images she showed us was of a clearly light skin Arab man who was at the court of Queen Elizabeth as an ambassador.

Furthermore, another reason why Moors were described as ‘black’ despite many of them being Arab and Berber was because Europeans at the time called any group with dark features as ‘black’. Example, you have the black Irish who are indeed white and of a lighter complexion but due to their very dark hair they are called that. Same with the Welsh with some being tanned and dark haired. If we were to look at the term ‘black Irish’ without any context we would assume that there were black people in Ireland running around centuries ago.

Shakespeare's Othello was definitely black tho. He was a general who won a lot battle, and loved women. The evil character who hated on Othelo probably was a cuck who had impotence, and was jealous of the viral sexual vivacity of othelo

Shakespeare's Othello was definitely black tho. He was a general who won a lot battle, and loved women. The evil character who hated on Othelo probably was a cuck who had impotence, and was jealous of the viral sexual vivacity of othelo
I’m not arguing about Othello’s blackness. It’s obvious from reading it that Shakespeare depicted and thought of him as being a black Moor.

Black Moors did exist, I just disagree with the whole narrative of presenting all of them as black when most of them were in fact Arab and Berber. The Elites were also mostly Arabs originating from the Arabian peninsular, The Caliph and his family belonged to the Umayyad dynasty who were in fact Quraishi so arguing that they were all or mostly Sub-Saharan African is a joke.

Trending