Archaeologist Work in the Ancient city of Opone (Hafun)

Emir of Zayla

๐•น๐–†๐–™๐–Ž๐–”๐–“ ๐–”๐–‹ ๐•ป๐–”๐–Š๐–™๐–˜
IMG_9650.jpeg
Since I was talking about archaeologist works Iโ€™d like to add the Ancient town of Amud and itโ€™s ancient temple which was eventually remade into a mosque during the Islamic period of Somaliweyn ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ด hereโ€™s a reconstruction

Sadly they don't survive much in our area, much of Cushitic archaeological sites are in southern Kenya, around Lake Turkana.
Yeh the highlands of northern Somalia is the best place to find ancient remains. Opone is flat land. The salty ocean would have eroded the bones I assume.

NidarNidar

Punisher
Yeh the highlands of northern Somalia is the best place to find ancient remains. Opone is flat land. The salty ocean would have eroded the bones I assume.
It's a shame much of the land we see today was much lusher in the past, similar event that happened in the Sahara allowed our ancestors to come down for better grazing land and we pushed or integrated much of the local hunter-gather population into the gene pool.

It's a shame much of the land we see today was much lusher in the past, similar event that happened in the Sahara allowed our ancestors to come down for better grazing land and we pushed or integrated much of the local hunter-gather population into the gene pool.
I would love to know which Cushiti lineages were there in Somailand/Djibouti between 4th and 3rd centuries BC, 3rd and 2nd century BC, 2nd and 1st century BC and 1st century BC to 1 century AD. This will make us understand so much more.

NidarNidar

Punisher
I would love to know which Cushiti lineages were there in Somailand/Djibouti between 4th and 3rd centuries BC, 3rd and 2nd century BC, 2nd and 1st century BC and 1st century BC to 1 century AD. This will make us understand so much more.
I'm interested in the split between lowland Cushitic tribes, which is most likely linked to camel domestication between 3.5-4.5 thousand years ago since Oromos and much of pastoralist clans in Kenya nowadays still herd cattle, will need more genetic material and digs which won't happened till we get peace in the region.

1692752302517.png

I'm interested in the split between lowland Cushitic tribes, which is most likely linked to camel domestication between 3.5-4.5 thousand years ago since Oromos and much of pastoralist clans in Kenya nowadays still herd cattle, will need more genetic material and digs which won't happened till we get peace in the region.

View attachment 288822
4.5 thousand years ago is to early. We got camels most likely 3k to 2K years ago. Our lineage is connected with an Egyptian 3500 years ago and we still had only cattle back then. Also the camel introduction was more of a coastal thing ans not necessarily low land Cushitic. Itโ€™s more Beja, Afar- Saho and Somali who revived the camel. I assume it was recently during the Iron Age.

NidarNidar

Punisher
4.5 thousand years ago is to early. We got camels most likely 3k to 2K years ago. Our lineage is connected with an Egyptian 3500 years ago and we still had only cattle back then. Also the camel introduction was more of a coastal thing ans not necessarily low land Cushitic. Itโ€™s more Beja, Afar- Saho and Somali who revived the camel. I assume it was recently during the Iron Age.
I assumed it came down from Egypt, Saudi Arabia most likely being the place of domestication, from my understanding proto cushitic peoples originate in Upper Nubia and Lower Egypt between 8,000 - 10,000 years ago, migrating downward to horn to look for more grazing land for cows and goats.

Reaching Lake Turkana, Kenya 5,200 years ago, this period would have been called Savanna Pastoral Neolithic and was also responsible for the elmenteitan culture in the region, closest known people related to them

1692753344074.png

This is estimated to be 7-8000 years old.

I assumed it came down from Egypt, Saudi Arabia most likely being the place of domestication, from my understanding proto cushitic peoples originate in Upper Nubia and Lower Egypt between 8,000 - 10,000 years ago, migrating downward to horn to look for more grazing land for cows and goats.

Reaching Lake Turkana, Kenya 5,200 years ago, this period would have been called Savanna Pastoral Neolithic and was also responsible for the elmenteitan culture in the region, closest known people related to them

View attachment 288823
This is estimated to be 7-8000 years old.
Yeh it came recently into the horn. According to Mtdna the camels from the horn are older and more basal then the once from North Africa indicating that they were 1st introduced into the Horn from Arabia. While the other species of camels in Africa came much later presumably during the Islamic period.

Laas geel has a drawing of a camel

1692860626751.png

Sol

?
I've said this before and I'll say it again there is so much archaeological potential in somalia just waiting to he unearthed i just hope we don't sell anything and open our own museums to instill some pride in the populace :banderas:

Trending