Apu axed from the simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Simpsons axes Kwik-E-Mart owner Apu after a backlash over the Indian character's racial stereotyping

• Producer Adi Shankar claims to have verified the news from 'multiple sources'
  • Now Apu Nahasapeemapetilon looks set to be removed from the popular show
  • It comes after a 2017 documentary The Problem with Apu by Hari Kondabolu
  • The move is despite Shankar's wish to crowdfund a script to save the character

5472972-6323517-image-a-1_1540641982265.jpg

Apu Nahasapeemapetilon has been a character on The Simpsons for almost 30 years. He runs the Springfield Kwik-E-Mart and is known for the catchphrase 'Thank you, come again'. He is voiced by American actor Hank Azaria who has threatened to quit the show following the controversy

And now it has been reported that Apu Nahasapeemapetilon might be removed from the long-running animated series entirely.

In an interview with IndieWire, producer Adi Shankar revealed that he's verified from 'multiple sources' the removal of Apu from the show.

He said: 'They’re going to drop the Apu character altogether.

'They aren’t going to make a big deal out of it, or anything like that, but they’ll drop him altogether just to avoid the controversy.'

The news comes despite Shankar wanting to crowdfund a script that could have saved the character - by addressing the issues raised in The Problem with Apu and updating the character for a modern audience.

He believes axing the character entirely would be a big mistake and could be seen as avoiding the controversy entirely.

He said: 'If you are a show about cultural commentary and you are too afraid to comment on the culture, especially when it’s a component of the culture you had a hand in creating, then you are a show about cowardice.

'It’s not a step forward, or step backwards, it’s just a massive step sideways. After having read all these wonderful scripts, I feel like sidestepping this issue doesn’t solve it when the whole purpose of art, I would argue, is to bring us together.'

The Problem with Apu, released in November 2017, took a critical look at the character of Apu on The Simpsons.

In the documentary, Kondabolu argues that the stereotypical portrayal of Indian and South Asian-Americans embodied by Apu is culturally insensitive and detrimental to the community’s portrayal in modern American culture.

The documentary’s success sparked a renewed debate about cultural sensitivity and racial stereotyping in the media. Many critics hailed it for restarting public discussion on such issues.

One of the main 'problems' with Apu is that the character is voiced by Hank Azaria, a white actor, who admitted his portrayal of Apu is actually a homage to white British actor Peter Sellers playing an Indian in the 1968 comedy The Party.

On April 8, however, The Simpsons attempted to address the accusations in its newest episode called No Good Read Goes Unpunished.

But later that month Hank Azaria said he might quit the controversial role of voicing Apu following the race row.

Appearing on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Tuesday, the actor said he was 'perfectly willing to step aside' so someone else could play the Kwik-E-Mart owner.

RIP one of my fav characters :kendrickcry::mjcry:

Apollo

VIP
The show makes fun of EVERYONE. Damn, soon the sjws are coming this site.

Most Indian Americans speak better English than Apu does and most of them don't work at supermarkets but instead are into IT.

It's a dumb and outdated stereotype. I'm all for phasing out Apu.

Most Indian Americans speak better English than Apu does and most of them don't work at supermarkets but instead are into IT.

But it's funny. Is marge's character sexist because she's a housewife? Where does it end ?

Who gives a damn it's a cartoon :drakewtf: but now we can atleast complain about Somalis and piracy. Remember when south park did us dirty :mjcry:

Apollo

VIP
Who gives a damn it's a cartoon :drakewtf: but now we can atleast complain about Somalis and piracy. Remember when south park did us dirty :mjcry:

People learn stereotypes from television and then look for it in real life.

These SJWs are much smarter than you guys.. they realized this and thus are clamping down on stereotype enforcing characters.

But it's funny. Is marge's character sexist because she's a housewife? Where does it end ?

Ethnic stereotypes are much more taboo than sexist ones.

Apu is a hard worker and the episode where he gets his citizenship was beautiful. I laughed hard as hell when Moe got deported at the end.

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
The damage is already done, it will have no effect whatesover in my opinion, the redemption to this two decade long stereotype is if Apu's kids or brothers play smart roles such as doctors and engineers and loose the damn accent period.:cosbyhmm:

Muji

VIP
Nasty stereotype

I’m sure if they introduced a Somali character who had a bidar and 3 wives and was claiming ceydh, you guys would be the first to complain

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
Nasty stereotype

I’m sure if they introduced a Somali character who had a bidar and 3 wives and was claiming ceydh, you guys would be the first to complain

that would be funny!!

also have him in the café all the day shouting about politics and qabil with his suit and tie.

that would be funny!!

also have him in the café all the day shouting about politics and qabil with his suit and tie.
Yes!!! His wives can be based on the three faces of eve template (the steady, wise wife, the sexual, often predatory seductress, and the innocent child.) The wife is the calmer, more reliable personality, and is someone around whom one could build a home life. This does not necessarily mean she is motherly. The seductress is passionate, sexually experienced and independent. The "child" (who does not have to be a literal child) is innocent, perhaps painfully so, sweet and kind.

Why didn't they get rid of Groundskeeper Willy then? Utter B.S.

All the Indians on Twitter are furious at this decision. The alt-left NPC mob are now destroying classic TV shows. There is no way to avoid these creeps. They are involved in every part of our lives. Just last week they made Kleenex get rid of one of their tissue products because it was called "man size". What the hell is going on in this world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts