Anyone here who speaks good Somali, please have a no English rule at home with your children

So I just got violatedddd at a wedding today by a habaryar. She was asking me where the washrooms were and I told her in af somali and she clocked my hooyo mataalo accent and way of speaking straight away. She gave me a weird look and then was then like “why do you speak Somali so badly? are you oromo?” :mjlol:

I’m currently trying to play catch up with my afsomali and learn on my own because my parents failed to teach us at home. Which is sooo difficult because I only know the basics. I’m surprised I even understand Somali at all considering my parents speak English like 75% of the time to us and then only really speak af Somali to each other

Idk why my parents chose to do things that way. Even when I try to practice my Somali with them now they just switch back to English whenever I struggle with a sentence (they both speak English fluently)

My lack of language skills is high key embarrassing and I get negative comments about it whenever I’m in any space with elders. Also got a lot of shit for it when we went back home to visit. And it’s not even my fault. If I could go back in time and tell my parents to make more of an effort to teach us Somali I would. I would give anything to be able to speak well in my mother tongue:mjcry:

Guys if you speak good afsomali please ensure your kids will speak it by having a no English rule at home. Don’t let them be a hooyo mataalo. All my friends who speak decent Somali do so because their parents didn’t let them speak English at home.

Last edited:
Kill yourself seriously just die

D4EB8C8B-8613-4FA1-8910-783A745CFE45.gif

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
Go to Tiktok, clubhouse, Twitter Space etc and spend time with the crazy Somalis there. They will insult you for speaking terrible Somali but eventually you'll catch up and be fluent in time but you need to have a thick skin first and take those insults like a champ else you won't survive there. I have seen countless kids who logged to those platforms with little to no Somali skills yet they speak fluent Somali now.

Go to Tiktok, clubhouse, Twitter Space etc and spend time with the crazy Somalis there. They will insult you for speaking terrible Somali but eventually you'll catch up and be fluent in time but you need to have a thick skin first and take those insults like a champ else you won't survive there. I have seen countless kids who logged to those platforms with little to no Somali skills yet they speak fluent Somali now.
No way, one of the OG SSpot users has returned. It's an honour to be in your presence.
bow down nicki minaj GIF by Saturday Night Live

Hilmaam

Sound mind sound body
VIP
Many people get self concisions about their Somali because of people like this and don’t speak it in public. Some even avoid somali restaurants and business because of this. I don’t think people who criticize how others speak actually want to help them improve but are clowning them because they are insecure and want to put other person down.

I’ve never spoken that way to anyone whether they struggling with english or somali

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Tell your parents to speak somali to the kids and held them accountable. They will after while do it automatically. Speak with them in somali and let them correct you. Also ask meaning of words and if you know a word in english but want to say it in somali, ask them for the meaning.

Thats how I bettered my somali.

Kamaal

Sidii roon Raba og
Now that you're grown up, when ever your parents are in your house speak to your spouse this way: Waryaa kaaley wecelyohow, Abahaa was tuugyohow tuugu dhalay! And when your parents ask you: What's going on. Tell them that you're trying to improve your Somali.

Spent some time with the fobs on clubhouse, now I’m like 80% there in fluency. I reckon I can now speak Somali to a level where I can be mistaken for a fob.

tbf some who know the language well look down on you if you don’t speak it well. They will belittle and shame you because of your lack of af somali.

I remeber this one time i was like 6 years old and this random odey called me a doqon because i didn’t know what he was saying.

Spent some time with the fobs on clubhouse, now I’m like 80% there in fluency. I reckon I can now speak Somali to a level where I can be mistaken for a fob.

I've got clubhouse but I don't know how to look for Somali rooms since they've changed it. How do I do that?

Trending

Latest posts