Anyone here has a Mentally Ill person in their life? How do you deal with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
For the past 11 years, I have seen my childhood friend get worse and worse in terms of her paranoia, easily triggered and become more self destructive.

I've advised her to seek psychiatric help. She went there once and never followed up. However, she occasionally goes for Ruqya that her family pays for.

The last time we were together, one minute we were chatting next, she is cursing me out and calling me all sorts of names. This has been going on for a while now to the point I've started to mind my ps and qs around her. I don't know what will trigger her. The littlest most harmless comment and off she'll go on me or anyone for that matter. And honestly, her words are very hurtful.

A week later, she calls me saying she knew I'll betray her one day and start listening to "her enemies." I reminded her, it is awkward to talk after she called me all sorts of names over nothing. This girl goes, "OmG, I said that to you? I don't even remember doing that. It must be the sixir my eedo did to me that is making me act out.. "
:mjhaps::mjcry:

I've reached my limit yall.
I dont mean to be insensitive to the mentally ill. They deserve unconditional love and support but not everyone can handle these rollercoaster relationships. I've decided to cut ties coz I am scared I will do or say something I'll regret the next time this happens.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
Definitely sounds like a cut off and move on situation, good thing it’s not a sibling or parent

For the past 11 years, I have seen my childhood friend get worse and worse in terms of her paranoia, easily triggered and become more self destructive.

I've advised her to seek psychiatric help. She went there once and never followed up. However, she occasionally goes for Ruqya that her family pays for.

The last time we were together, one minute we were chatting next, she is cursing me out and calling me all sorts of names. This has been going on for a while now to the point I've started to mind my ps and qs around her. I don't know what will trigger her. The littlest most harmless comment and off she'll go on me or anyone for that matter. And honestly, her words are very hurtful.

A week later, she calls me saying she knew I'll betray her one day and start listening to "her enemies." I reminded her, it is awkward to talk after she called me all sorts of names over nothing. This girl goes, "OmG, I said that to you? I don't even remember doing that. It must be the sixir my eedo did to me that is making me act out.. "
:mjhaps::mjcry:

I've reached my limit yall.
I dont mean to be insensitive to the mentally ill. They deserve unconditional love and support but not everyone can handle these rollercoaster relationships. I've decided to cut ties coz I am scared I will do or say something I'll regret the next time this happens.
Not a mental health professional, but the bolded sounds like it might be bi-polar disorder. I would encourage her and her family to seek psychiatric help. Getting a diagnosis will help tremendously. Remember, just like you cut yourself and go to the ER for treatment, you can also treat your mental health. There is help. All the best iA.

Mental health issues are rife within the somali community it's sad if the stigma wasn't so bad things could be better.

In your situation you're not at fault for the decision you've come to , but try not to " say or do " anything bad just know they aren't mentally well. You can leave them in peace and still remember the good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.