Anyone have Aphantasia?

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
Hey, so I cannot visualize things in my head.

Learned this about a week ago. I was wondering if this is nonsense.

Can any of y'all visualize things in your head?

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
Never heard of it, maybe it’s a good thing, you never going to drift off when you are supposed to be working lol

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
Never heard of it, maybe it’s a good thing, you never going to drift off when you are supposed to be working lol
Yeah that was a light bulb moment for me. That, and why I hated fantasy novels growing up.

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
Lol it’s not the same, nothing is better than you imagination. Have you read Harry Potter?
My sis has the whole collection and is a big fan. I got sick of it after chapter 2 of the first book. I enjoyed the movies though.

:damnmusic:That sounds really interesting, never heard of it. Let's say if you were to draw something for an art class, would you just improvise or do you have any (detailed or otherwise) notion of the end result? I guess what I would like to understand is what type of imagination/visualisation are you unable to produce?

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
:damnmusic:That sounds really interesting, never heard of it. Let's say if you were to draw something for an art class, would you just improvise or do you have any (detailed or otherwise) notion of the end result? I guess what I would like to understand is what type of imagination/visualisation are you unable to produce?
Like straight up images.

As for drawing, I wasn't great at art from the dome. But art through tracing, I was pretty good at. Essentially, if I had the object in front of me, I can draw it. But if I was told to draw something from my mind, it'd end up being basic, since the drawing would be based on simplistic concepts of the thing.

Like an apple. It'd be a circular shape. A stem on top. A leaf hanging from the stem. That's it.

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
@YourBroMoe I know you said you are not a Muslim but have you ever at some point in your life prayed? And no this is not going where you are thinking lol

Like straight up images.

As for drawing, I wasn't great at art from the dome. But art through tracing, I was pretty good at. Essentially, if I had the object in front of me, I can draw it. But if I was told to draw something from my mind, it'd end up being basic, since the drawing would be based on simplistic concepts of the thing.

Like an apple. It'd be a circular shape. A stem on top. A leaf hanging from the stem. That's it.
And do you feel it limits your creativity in everyday situations in any way or do you more or less navigate through your day without you even noticing it, if you don't focus on it?
I honestly can't grasp the extent to which it would affect my day, since I'm on the other end of the spectrum and more often than not I can't shut down the nagging daydreaming etc.

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
@YourBroMoe I know you said you are not a Muslim but have you ever at some point in your life prayed? And no this is not going where you are thinking lol
Yes I have. I was fairly religious in high school, and prayed 5 times a day consistently.

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
And do you feel it limits your creativity in everyday situations in any way or do you more or less navigate through your day without you even noticing it, if you don't focus on it?
I honestly can't grasp the extent to which it would affect my day, since I'm on the other end of the spectrum and more often than not I can't shut down the nagging daydreaming etc.
No. Since I've learned of this, I didn't think I was weird, as I simply thought no one could picture things. So, nothing in my life changed to be honest.

Trending