Anyone get the feeling the best is over in the West?

j&jenterprises

A landheere always pays his debts
Remember in the Sopranos the first scene, Tony says: “It's good to be in something from the ground floor. I came too late for that and I know. But lately, I'm getting the feeling that I came in at the end. The best is over.

Anyone else think this is the case for us in the West (not even just as Muslims or as Somali diaspora, even regular cadaan folks are leaving em masse). It really does feel like the best is over. I used to think I’d live the rest of my life here, looking forward to growing as a community and basically living a middle class lifestyle as a Somali Muslim, to essentially live the lifestyle our parents couldn’t. But there is just a persistent feeling that once you have your education + job, the West has no additional benefits. It feels like the best is over, everything that was needed to accomplish in the West has been accomplished and now there is no other reason to stick around (especially with the exorbitantly high cost of living + growing CVE/Prevent Islamophobia policies). Sounds nihilistic and apathetic but its tryna understand what more is there in the West to achieve? Those who have no plans to leave anytime soon.

j&jenterprises

I am not glorifying struggle but our parents in the 90’s had somethings to look forward to - the hope that their children will be the greatest source of investment for them.
What do we have as a source of optimism in the West? Hard to think of really.

Somali Saayid

There is no surrender, We lose or We Die.
VIP
I've never planned to stay in the west to begin with, I wanted to get my public administration degree and then go back home and get involved there. Where are westerners gonna go 'Europe?' I doubt that's an option.

j&jenterprises

I've never planned to stay in the west to begin with, I wanted to get my public administration degree and then go back home and get involved there. Where are westerners gonna go 'Europe?' I doubt that's an option.
What made you never want to stay in the West? Didn’t feel as home or a need to improve the motherland?

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
1680020425904.png
Keyboard dreamer

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
I grew up thinking that I would live here forever too but now I'm just planning on going back to the horn of Africa to build up my own country cause this place is not doing too hot rn

Khaemwaset

VIP
The west will always be superior to any other past of the world
Most of history China was the centre of the world.
The west only became undisputed powerhouse 200 years ago.
Before that the west wasnt a world power for 2,000 years since Rome.

In contrast China and India have been world powers on and off for 5,000 years so I think I know who's going to win

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP

In contrast China and India have been world powers on and off for 5,000 years so I think I know who's going to win

Why is everyone running to the west then ? Chinese and Indians running to North America every year. The west will always be a step ahead than the rest, the past is the past but as of now cadaans dominating shit.

If the west ever falls it will be because of the immigrants

j&jenterprises

Yep. China have had preponderance over the 17 out of the last 21 centuries. The West have done an amazing job in making the world believe their hegemony is just the natural state of things.

j&jenterprises

Why is everyone running to the west then ? Chinese and Indians running to North America every year. The west will always be a step ahead than the rest, the past is the past but as of now cadaans dominating shit
The Great Escape is about leaving the West post-COVID and living in a place that isn’t a technological ghetto, lower cost of living and where society isn’t atomised. There are far more people leaving now as they realise the West is over. The wisest of people are the earliest to leave post-COVID

Khaemwaset

VIP
Why is everyone running to the west then ? Chinese and Indians running to North America every year. The west will always be a step ahead than the rest, the past is the past but as of now cadaans dominating shit
It's not like they are mass migrating.
I don't regularly see Chinese people in London it's mostly those from lower income nations.
The cadaans are losing the step up over the world which was a higher population and the industrial revolution.
The age of colonialism was a massively populated Europe rushing into underpopulated places like Africa who only had 30 million people.

100 years ago the west could've wiped out any nation that challenged them but now they are being put on their toes by China due to their economies being so interdependent.

The west will never reach its previous hieght again because that window where it was the only industrialised region in the world no longer exists.
Do you think the west can conquer India or China with the 1.4 billion each and tons of nukes? Of course not, its suicidal now because the asians have been catching up and closing the gap

Why is everyone running to the west then ? Chinese and Indians running to North America every year. The west will always be a step ahead than the rest, the past is the past but as of now cadaans dominating shit.

If the west ever falls it will be because of the immigrants
If America falls, it’s because of the Hispanics.

I’d encourage educated Somalis or those with businesses to explore life outside of the West. Only issue is that apart from Somalia or maybe Kenya, you can’t live in certain places indefinitely. Places like Saudi, UAE and Qatar are amazing options, but eventually you’ll have to go back home and life here is expensive. It’s fine when you’re a young childless couple but once kids come in the picture, schooling is very expensive, well good ones. You’re looking around 15k dollars or more yearly if you want your kids to have a decent education. Home ownership here is a lot more realistic though. Also, once they get to Uni age you’re going to have take them back to the West as employers in the ME prefer Western universities.

My point is, even outside of the West, you have lots of cons. Such as lack of real stability as essentially you’re not a citizen, expensive schoolings and other essentials and in places like Somali and Kenya, you’re looking at lack of safety and huge lifestyle changes.

j&jenterprises

I’d encourage educated Somalis or those with businesses to explore life outside of the West. Only issue is that apart from Somalia or maybe Kenya, you can’t live in certain places indefinitely. Places like Saudi, UAE and Qatar are amazing options, but eventually you’ll have to go back home and life here is expensive. It’s fine when you’re a young childless couple but once kids come in the picture, schooling is very expensive, well good ones. You’re looking around 15k dollars or more yearly if you want your kids to have a decent education. Home ownership here is a lot more realistic though. Also, once they get to Uni age you’re going to have take them back to the West as employers in the ME prefer Western universities.

My point is, even outside of the West, you have lots of cons. Such as lack of real stability as essentially you’re not a citizen, expensive schoolings and other essentials and in places like Somali and Kenya, you’re looking at lack of safety and huge lifestyle changes.
Age of Internet. We have reached the stage now where degrees are having minimal return on investment, how many actually use their degree subject in their daily work? Also, homeschooling via online is a legitimate alternative to paying private school fees. My point is altogether that the direction online is taking means that these traditional means are becoming obsolete. When weighing the pros/cons, this should be factored in

Age of Internet. We have reached the stage now where degrees are having minimal return on investment, how many actually use their degree subject in their daily work? Also, homeschooling via online is a legitimate alternative to paying private school fees. My point is altogether that the direction online is taking means that these traditional means are becoming obsolete. When weighing the pros/cons, this should be factored in
I’m saying degrees because it’s very difficult to move to the ME without a degree. They still expect that from Westerners. Honestly, if you’re serious about moving abroad, just get it. I
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Trending