Ancient somali ritual hunting

Awdal does not mean " The Land of Saints " , I'm sorry to say that she ( Sade Mire ) and you are wrong .
I will soon write a new post to explain the true meaning of Dir and Darood .​
Screenshot_20240516-212736_Chrome.jpg

"Awdal is a local name given by the Somalis to the city of Zayla and its surrounding country. It is composed of (AW), meaning Sheikh. Dal means the homeland, and it is the homeland of the sheikh or scholars."

View attachment 328977

"Awdal is a local name given by the Somalis to the city of Zayla and its surrounding country. It is composed of (AW), meaning Sheikh. Dal means the homeland, and it is the homeland of the sheikh or scholars."

Where is this from? Someone must have already made the connection before me, i guess it was pretty common knowledge lool

Last edited:
A facebook post of an empty road? that's not very convincing. If it's real place it should be documented.
Sorry I was in a rush yesterday. Just search up Harar Dakar on Google maps, it’s around the Harar Diaspora area. There was a paper by Meftuh Shash as well mentioning something regarding the many ruins found nearby.

Also wanted you to know there was an important sheikh in harar with the same name in 1890s called Haji Yusuf barkhadle, you sure it didn't belong to him? Considering I've never saw mention of this site earlier.
Haji Yusuf Barkhadle the guy who signed the Battle of Chelenqo surrender? He lived in Harar so his shrine should have been inside Harar. The Aw Barkhadle shrine is literally a few kilometers outside of Harar. My own uncle got his name because of that annual event where they traveled outside of Harar to Aw Barkhadle’s shrine and did dhikr
It's not something sada mire pointed out, locals preserved this history for centuries. Rishaashi who predated sada mire by alot also reported about the fact that aw barkhadle town is called "doggor".
it’s possible there was another Dakar, but unlike doggor we literally pronounce it Dakar. It’s one google map search away. Not far from Jugol.
That's not true, it wasn't dunya hawaz (where you get that from?) But Dayna Xur/Hur
I saw somewhere on wiki that it said Dunya Hawz. Can you send me the full screenshot of that passage?
Also share a proper photo of the allegad aw barkhadle shrine in harar.
IMG_1393.jpeg

I have seen this study before , there is no mention being made of Dakkar in it but i do see Aw Barkhadle shrine south of Harar .
Fig.13. Awe Berkhadle: 7.5 km South of Harar, west side of Mt. Hakim. Here you’ll find a shrine named after Awe Barkhadle, spiritual Islamic scholar.

Interesting there is a shrine there too. I guess that's what was being referred to when she said Paulitschke located it to ''Aw Berkele'' and her argument was that the grave and shrine in Somaliland has a ruins of a large town that closely corresponds with Dakar and the locals call it Dogor still.

Saints and Somalis: Popular Islam in a Clan-based Society

northern Somaliland is Sharif Yuusuf Barkhadle , whose shrine lies near the dry river bed of Dogor , some twenty miles to the north - east of the provincial capital of Hargeisa

Found also Ulrich Braukamper mentioning it and he also mentions the shrine in Harar and another one southwest of it but he specifies that where the one in Somaliland is located in is the main shrine in a place called Dogor and all other places are secondary to it.

tHYyXyJ.png

Map from the same source showing the location of Dogor near Hargeisa:
MfokrZc.png

Last edited:
I have seen this study before , there is no mention being made of Dakkar in it but i do see Aw Barkhadle shrine south of Harar .

Interesting there is a shrine there too. I guess that's what was being referred to when she said Paulitschke located it to ''Aw Berkele'' and her argument was that the grave and shrine in Somaliland has a ruins of a large town that closely corresponds with Dakar and the locals call it Dogor still.

Saints and Somalis: Popular Islam in a Clan-based Society

Found also Ulrich Braukamper mentioning it and he also mentions the shrine in Harar and another one southwest of it but he specifies that where the one in Somaliland is located in is the main shrine in a place called Dogor and all other places are secondary to it.

tHYyXyJ.png

Map from the same source showing the location of Dogor near Hargeisa:
MfokrZc.png
yeah its totally possible that Doggor could be his main shrine. Keep in mind that the demographics of that time were probably different before. Like the shrine of Sheikh Ibrahim Abu Zarbay (same Harla tribe in Futuh) in Zeila. There is a Spanish archeologist who wrote that Awdal was most likely contingent with Eastern Ethiopia. You would be surprised the amount of history that is engrained in Harar, screw that Haile Selassie.

yeah its totally possible that Doggor could be his main shrine. Keep in mind that the demographics of that time were probably different before. Like the shrine of Sheikh Ibrahim Abu Zarbay (same Harla tribe in Futuh) in Zeila. There is a Spanish archeologist who wrote that Awdal was most likely contingent with Eastern Ethiopia. You would be surprised the amount of history that is engrained in Harar, screw that Haile Selassie.

Dogor is Dakar that's what is being argued here. In the Tarikh Al- Mujahid it's mentioned that Dakar is situated in a place where the shrine of Aw Barkhadle is. Pretty self explanatory

If we go by what Spanish archeologist say, the political and economic heartland of Awdal Sultanate was northern Somalia in South-Western Somaliland and Haud. Populated by sedentary Somali groups living in farming settlements .
Dropped some info on this before:
There were still a number of farming villages in the Western part of Somaliland during the late 19th - 20th century.

WivaC3c.png
Locations of archeologicals sites near rivers beds in Somaliland.
Cnu2tgz.png

Same can be observed for the medieval period in written sources between 1000-1600 but the difference being that they were in bigger scale and productivity.

0V2j5Ps.png

In turn confirmed by archeology Medieval Archaeology in Somaliland:
MaOdITJ.png

VQqtQkA.png

The region always had a large dominant nomadic population, as it was a rooted in an exchange system between farmers, towns people and herders. That's basic recipe that shaped it's economy.

View attachment 328977

It’s actually a beautiful name if the etymology is correct,and it is another death knell for the revisionists who dispute Adal/Walashma links to Somalis. What year was this Written?

The lanqayr cross stuff is interesting because it would mean there was a deeper level of Christianity than we thought existed amongst ancient Somalis at least in the north west.
It is still possible this symbol has nothing to do with Christianity because I'm pretty sure that a very similar symbol was used since ancient times by the ancestors in the Eastern Desert/Nile Valley.

It is still possible this symbol has nothing to do with Christianity because I'm pretty sure that a very similar symbol was used since ancient times by the ancestors in the Eastern Desert/Nile Valley.
It’s possible but when you have nearby Christian burials it strengthens the hypothesis. It would be interesting if there was more research and some of Mires points were scrutinised.

Sada Mire did not come up with it ''The Land of Saints''. It's what local Somalis know it to mean, she is just communicating it in her piece.

The breaking it into Aw + Dal two compound words is my own deduction. Because it sounds pretty straight forward after she explained what the name means in Somali. In most likelihood it's linked to the Somali Saint cult i have spoken about in a different thread and it's why you see place names with ''Aw'' dotted all over the Somali inhabited areas from south to north to east to west.
(Awdal) is a corruption of the word (Adal), not the other way around. That's my assumption.

View attachment 328977

Why didn't you translate the last line?

ويعتقد أنه تحريف لكلمة عدل التي اشتهرت بها مملكة عدل الاسلامية التابعة لمملكة أوفات

It is believed that it is a corruption of the word Adal / Cadal , which was famous for the Islamic Kingdom of Adal /Cadal , which subordinate to the Kingdom of Ifat .

(Awdal) is a corruption of the word (Adal), not the other way around. That's my assumption.

It's very unlikely. Because the Somali spelling and pronunciation Awdal is recorded in the 13th century and given to Zayla by the Arab historian Al-Dimashqi, just like it is to this very day.

See:
Awdal/Adal is the name of a region/province around Zeyla and it's extending hinterland.

The name Awdal was recorded before the Sultanates establishment in the 15th century, so it cannot derive it's name from that
UC1wOgy.png

And in local sources it was not in reference to the 16th century sultanate but an actual region/province several centuries prior.
6QlrHdv.png

Can you give us your source in Arabic ?

The excerpt i showed is from the Cambridge History of Africa . But alright i have to do some digging to find the primary Arabic source for it. It is mentioned in other secondary sources also

Cadal meaning the Kingdom of Justice makes no sense, because the name is referenced multiple times to a region to the far east in the 13-14th century sources and not to a sultanate or a kingdom. It was a regional name.
And in local sources it was not in reference to the 16th century sultanate but an actual region/province several centuries prior.
6QlrHdv.png

Last edited:
Cadal meaning the Kingdom of Justice makes no sense, because the name is referenced multiple times to a region to the far east in the 13-14th century sources and not to a sultanate or a kingdom. It was a regional name.
I did not say that the origin of the name of the region/kingdom (Adal) came from the Arabic word (cadal), which means justice.

The word (Cadal) is of Somali origin and consists of two parts: the first part is (carro), which means ( land , sand ), and the second part is (Dir), meaning the Dir tribe,
so the meaning of ( carro Dir ) is ( land of Dir ).
But with the modification, the word became ( cad dal ) by changing the letter ( r ) to the letter ( d ), as in the word (Canjeero) , which is also pronounced ( Canjeelo).

Adi Keyh / Cadi qiix (Tigrinya: ዓዲ ቐይሕ "Red Village") . Adi ( ዓዲ ) means country , land , village in Tigrinya language .

عدي قيح هي مدينة، في إريتريا

Carro Dir → Cad Dal → Caddal → Cadal

عر در ← عد دل ← عدل

كلمة ( عدل ) هي من اصل صومالي مكونة من مقطعين : المقطع الاول ( عر ) التي تعني ( ارض ) والمقطع الثاني ( در ) اي قبيلة ( در ) الصومالية ، فيكون معنى ( عر در ) هو ( ارض الدر )
ولكن مع التحوير اصبحت الكلمة ( عر در ) الى ( عد دل ) بتغير حرف الراء الى حرف الدال ، كما في كلمة ( عنجيرو ) التي تنطق ايضا ( عنجيلو ) .

I did not say that the origin of the name of the region/kingdom (Adal) came from the Arabic word (cadal), which means justice.

The word (Cadal) is of Somali origin and consists of two parts: the first part is (carro), which means ( land , sand ), and the second part is (Dir), meaning the Dir tribe,
so the meaning of ( carro Dir ) is ( land of Dir ).
But with the modification, the word became ( cad dal ) by changing the letter ( r ) to the letter ( d ), as in the word (Canjeero) , which is also pronounced ( Canjeelo).

Adi Keyh / Cadi qiix (Tigrinya: ዓዲ ቐይሕ "Red Village") . Adi ( ዓዲ ) means country , land , village in Tigrinya language .

عدي قيح هي مدينة، في إريتريا

Carro Dir → Cad Dal → Caddal → Cadal

عر در ← عد دل ← عدل

كلمة ( عدل ) هي من اصل صومالي مكونة من مقطعين : المقطع الاول ( عر ) التي تعني ( ارض ) والمقطع الثاني ( در ) اي قبيلة ( در ) الصومالية ، فيكون معنى ( عر در ) هو ( ارض الدر )
ولكن مع التحوير اصبحت الكلمة ( عر در ) الى ( عد دل ) بتغير حرف الراء الى حرف الدال ، كما في كلمة ( عنجيرو ) التي تنطق ايضا ( عنجيلو ) .

I don't really agree with that Cadal theory never heard anyone mention it before it either. It has to make sense for it to hold weight. What's the context or reason for it to be called ''Justice''? how does that make sense?

Seeing as the name Awdal is a regional name for Zayla and it's surounding country side and the sources from that period agree with it and Zayla as town is held up as the birth place of Somali Islam and scholarship, it makes sense.

Where is this from? Someone must have already made the connection before me, i guess it was pretty common knowledge lool
It’s actually a beautiful name if the etymology is correct,and it is another death knell for the revisionists who dispute Adal/Walashma links to Somalis. What year was this Written?
Well it was kinda irrelevant, i was just pointing out that Awdal having that etymology was a well known thing, not something sada mire or sspot members founded, locally known too.

Trending