An Orromo Entrepeneur success in a sea of Somalis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Dishwasher to Millionaire, Ethiopian Refugee Achieves American Dream (in Minneapolis)

CC955EC1-0DA0-48BB-80A5-7673BDF6CBBB.jpg

Tashitaa Tufaa drives one of his company's largest school buses, which seats 70 pupils, in Fridley, Minnesota, Aug. 9, 2017. Tufaa's company owns nearly 300 buses. (Photo: Abdi Mohamud for VOA)

MINNEAPOLIS - When Tashitaa Tufaa first arrived in Minneapolis from Ethiopia in 1992, he remembers craning his head skyward in disbelief. Looking up at the tallest skyscraper he had ever seen, he began counting the stories until he couldn’t count anymore. Eventually, he found out the building had 55 floors.

It was a long way from Negele Arsi district in the Oromia region of Ethiopia where he grew up. As a child, he worked alongside his 13 siblings on the family farm.

Now he’d have to do other types of work. He thought he had a fluent command of English that would open doors in the job market.

“But I found out that I didn't after I came to Minneapolis,” he said.

Tashitaa Tufaa, owner, CEO and president of Metropolitan Transportation Network Inc., at the company's headquarters, in Fridley, Minnesota, Aug. 9, 2017.
So he began as a dishwasher at the Hilton Hotel, earning $5.65 an hour. Eventually, he held as many as three jobs at once, including ones at manufacturing companies and another as a security guard.

The small paychecks of those days are long gone for Tufaa, who is now president of a successful bus company.

Each day, Metropolitan Transportation Network carries more than 15,000 children to schools, field trips and other destinations in Minneapolis and other Minnesota cities. The multimillion-dollar transportation company has more than 300 employees and recently moved to a new, larger operations center.

WATCH: From Dishwasher to Millionaire, Ethiopian Refugee Achieves American Dream

https://www.voanews.com/usa/dishwasher-millionaire-ethiopian-refugee-achieves-american-dream

When asked the secrets of his success, Tashita replied, it is tied to his strong family values. Now guys, go ahead and continue with your intellectual debate how you will marry 4 wives like your dads and barely see your children.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Congrats to Mr Tufaa, I love a good rags to riches story. A role model for not just African immigrants but for everyone.

@AussieHustler why would you mention Somalis? Your self hate is really sickening!!!

@Basra do you see this hater?

Last edited:
Congrats to Mr Tufaa, I love a good rags to riches story. A role model for not just African immigrants but for everyone.

@AussieHustler why would you mention Somalis? Your self hate is really sickening!!!

@Basra do you see this hater?

@Reiko

My apologies dear, I made a mistake and should have acknowledged your view of Minnesota as little Puntland and wrote, in a sea of Puntlanders. Will do on my next article in which I will feature a Nigerian migrant who rose from rags to riches in Minnesota. On a serious note, what these successful men have in common is, they do have better family values than Somali men. Here on Somalispot, we have guys infatuated with how many wives they would marry. No ambition, no drive and no ego to succeed in life other than chasing as many diracs as possible.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
@Reiko

My apologies dear, I made a mistake and should have acknowledged your view of Minnesota as little Puntland and wrote, in a sea of Puntlanders. Will do on my next article in which I will feature a Nigerian migrant who rose from rags to riches in Minnesota. On a serious note, what these successful men have in common is, they do have better family values than Somali men. Here on Somalispot, we have guys infatuated with how many wives they would marry. No ambition, no drive and no ego to succeed in life other than chasing as many diracs as possible.
Your hatred for Puntland will only kill you. Just like drinking poison, everytime you mention Puntland in a negative way may you have uncontrollable diarrhea. :)

Your hatred for Puntland will only kill you. Just like drinking poison, everytime you mention Puntland in a negative way may you have uncontrollable diarrhea. :)

@Reiko

I only criticise those who are dear to me. Don't interpret constructive criticism as 'negative', We should learn from the success of others and ditch our failures. Some guys here think doing the same thing over and over will yield a different outcome.

A riddle for you. Bring 3 Somali guys together and they will probable talk of women and clans, but bring 3 other men together, they will probably talk of worldly stuff. Why?

This is somalispot not Oromo spot

@Tukraq

Waryaa, how come no Somali in Seattle is involved with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to fund projects in Somalia like this Ethiopian American dude who is a director of the foundation and benefits Ethiopia? As usual, are you guys busy with fadhi ku dirrir?

Leadership
Haddis Tadesse
Director

upload_2019-6-13_7-47-12.png

leader_Haddis_Tadesse_227x154.ashx

Haddis Tadesse leads a team that manages programs and builds diplomatic relations with key partners and stakeholders across the region, including governments, African Union and UN officials, donors, private sector decision-makers, NGOs and members of the press. In addition, his team works across the foundation’s investments in Ethiopia, including agricultural development, health, financial services, water and sanitation, nutrition, and emergency relief.

Haddis joined the foundation in 2007 where he managed African government relations. In 2012, he relocated to Ethiopia to establish the foundation’s office in Addis Ababa. Prior to joining the foundation, Haddis was a senior policy advisor to Greg Nickels, mayor of Seattle, Washington, where he advised on citywide policies for human services, public health, housing, and civil rights. He also led outreach to immigrants and refugees, and implemented several new initiatives to support these communities.

A United States citizen of Ethiopian origin, Haddis lived and worked in the U.S. for nearly 25 years. He holds a Master of Public Administration from the University of Washington. He serves on a number of boards and has held several fellowships, including at the German Marshall Fund of the United States and the European Union.

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/Who.../Leadership/Global-Development/Haddis-Tadesse

Tukraq

VIP
@Tukraq

Waryaa, how come no Somali in Seattle is involved with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to fund projects in Somalia like this Ethiopian American dude who is a director of the foundation and benefits Ethiopia? As usual, are you guys busy with fadhi ku dirrir?

Leadership
Haddis Tadesse
Director

View attachment 73978

leader_Haddis_Tadesse_227x154.ashx

Haddis Tadesse leads a team that manages programs and builds diplomatic relations with key partners and stakeholders across the region, including governments, African Union and UN officials, donors, private sector decision-makers, NGOs and members of the press. In addition, his team works across the foundation’s investments in Ethiopia, including agricultural development, health, financial services, water and sanitation, nutrition, and emergency relief.

Haddis joined the foundation in 2007 where he managed African government relations. In 2012, he relocated to Ethiopia to establish the foundation’s office in Addis Ababa. Prior to joining the foundation, Haddis was a senior policy advisor to Greg Nickels, mayor of Seattle, Washington, where he advised on citywide policies for human services, public health, housing, and civil rights. He also led outreach to immigrants and refugees, and implemented several new initiatives to support these communities.

A United States citizen of Ethiopian origin, Haddis lived and worked in the U.S. for nearly 25 years. He holds a Master of Public Administration from the University of Washington. He serves on a number of boards and has held several fellowships, including at the German Marshall Fund of the United States and the European Union.

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/Who.../Leadership/Global-Development/Haddis-Tadesse
they want to sterilize African babies, malis don't get with that bull

they want to sterilize African babies, malis don't get with that bull

@Tukraq

What else? Some of the stuff they do help Ethiopia includes agricultural development, health care, financial services, water and sanitation, nutrition and emergency relief. In order to justify your wastefulness on Fadhi Ku Dirrir, you led to believe that notion. Keep the spirit of fadhi ku dirrir alive and don’t let anyone beat us and take our championship. Encourage Somali kids to be armed and fight back with guns. What a bummer-!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending