Almarri et al. (2021) compared the DNA of ancient Egyptian individuals from the Pre-Ptolemaic era

I'm incapable of reading through genetic studies because me stupid, and as a consequence, I'm unable to confirm or contend with what's said throughout this blog. The writer seems like an extremely competent person, and even though I have no idea of their character, I feel confident thinking them above barefaced lies. I would like for someone with a brain for reading through and comprehending half-words-half-abbreviations studies to clear this particular excerpt up for me regarding our West Eurasian ancestry:

"Almarri et al. (2021) compared the DNA of ancient Egyptian individuals from the Pre-Ptolemaic era with that of the modern Afro-Asiatic-speaking populations in the Horn of Africa. Analysing single nucleotide variants (SNVs), the scientists found that their Pre-Ptolemaic Egyptian specimens provided the best-fitting model for the source of the West Eurasian ancestry borne by the Horn groups, whereas their ancient Levantine sample from Sidon appeared to have contributed most of the West Eurasian ancestry carried by the present-day Arabian and Levantine populations. These results represent a significant advancement over other genomic analyses (e.g. Razali et al. (2021)), which by contrast insisted on employing Levantine or Arabian samples as reference populations in lieu of ancient Egyptian samples. As a consequence, these studies substantially undercounted the Horn groups’ actual West Eurasian ancestry. Thanks to Almarri et al.’s better designed and more logical analysis, we can now estimate that ancient Egyptian-related ancestry is present at frequencies as high as 70% among Cushitic and Ethiosemitic-speaking individuals of the Horn, with a percentage climax in Eritrea and likely northern Somalia (cf. Table S4). (*N.B. Sirak et al. (2021) analyzed Christian-period individuals buried at Kulubnarti in Sudan, and similarly observed that “we obtain a fit only when Egypt_published is used as the West Eurasian-related proxy.” Sirak et al. (2022) also note that “ancient DNA data suggest that the African gene flow observed in present-day Egyptians occurred predominantly within the last 2000 years.”"

1655510394051.png

Table referenced ^

Is it per reviewed by the scientific academic, also where is the evident for genetic tested among Horn Africans. Its weird that it said "can now estimate that ancient Egyptian-related ancestry is present at frequencies as high as 70% among Cushitic and Ethiosemitic-speaking individuals of the Horn, with a percentage climax in Eritrea and likely northern Somalia (cf. Table S4). (*N.B. Sirak et al. (2021)"

My city is Hargeisa, so I am northern somali, but the west Eurasain for all the somalis are about the same between 35 to 45 percent. The exception are only the minorities in South Somalia, cad cad/somali Arabs/banadiris etc.. they probably have higher West Eurasian whereas somali bantu have lower West Eurasian than Somalis.

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
My city is Hargeisa, so I am northern somali, but the west Eurasain for all the somalis are about the same between 35 to 45 percent.
the average somali is around 45% west eurasian sxb 35% is too low for ethnic somalis
E4B89E17-E4FC-42E3-B97F-8ABEAAB35161.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it per reviewed by the scientific academic, also where is the evident for genetic tested among Horn Africans. Its weird that it said "can now estimate that ancient Egyptian-related ancestry is present at frequencies as high as 70% among Cushitic and Ethiosemitic-speaking individuals of the Horn, with a percentage climax in Eritrea and likely northern Somalia (cf. Table S4). (*N.B. Sirak et al. (2021)"

My city is Hargeisa, so I am northern somali, but the west Eurasain for all the somalis are about the same between 35 to 45 percent. The exception are only the minorities in South Somalia, cad cad/somali Arabs/banadiris etc.. they probably have higher West Eurasian whereas somali bantu have lower West Eurasian than Somalis.
Yeah, apparently these newer samples from pre-Ptolemaic Egypt will have us at ~55% Masri and ~45% Dinka. The Cushitic “admixture event” did occur in Egypt, so it makes sense that they’d be our best fit. All we need now is access to these Buur Heybe samples to best map out ancestries.

The Cushitic “admixture event” did occur in Egypt,
How do you know this? Source?

so it makes sense that they’d be our best fit.
This is also accounting for our Yemeni ancestry btw, Ancient Egyptians and Yemenis will have an appreciable genetic connection but it will be mostly indirect. Both groups are rich in Levantine ancestry and probably had somewhat similar Hunter Gatherer populations, as in both were Natufian like and maybe part of the same metapopulation.

Be careful with that blog, I've read through it a few times a while back and the Owner is desperate to make Horners as Eurasian as possible, always sticking with the highest estimates of our Eurasian DNA (Hodgson 2014 for example).

I do agree that an Ancient Egyptian source would fit way better than an Arabian one though, but this model isn't supposed to be taken literally.

Yeah, apparently these newer samples from pre-Ptolemaic Egypt will have us at ~55% Masri and ~45% Dinka.
Theres some Dinka and other types of SSA ancestry on the Egyptian side too.

How do you know this? Source?
I mean, if not in Egypt, then where? Regardless, the people would've genetically resembled Egyptian populations at the time.
This is also accounting for our Yemeni ancestry btw, Ancient Egyptians and Yemenis will have an appreciable genetic connection but it will be mostly indirect. Both groups are rich in Levantine ancestry and probably had somewhat similar Hunter Gatherer populations, as in both were Natufian like and maybe part of the same metapopulation.
Yup, that seems to be especially true for AE and Yemenis. On Illustrative DNA, when checking for the closest modern populations to AE samples (late Egypt only tbf), Yemeni groups are consistently some of the closest.

I mean, if not in Egypt, then where? Regardless, the people would've genetically resembled Egyptian populations at the time.
North/East Sudan is a lot more likely given our Dinka-like ancestry, and the material culture similarities between our early pastoral cultures and Ancient Sudanese ones, there may have been some migration from the modern region of Upper Egypt but that would have largely been Nubian territory historically.

Trending

Latest posts