Aksumite rule over northern Somalia?

I'm more mindblown as to why he think Aksum held any land in the coast of the Persian gulf lmao
I think Abraha did get pretty close tbh he lowkey xooged tf out of Arabia ngl
I think he left inscriptions mentioning subjugating tribes right next to the eastern coast

I think Abraha did get pretty close tbh he lowkey xooged tf out of Arabia ngl
I think he left inscriptions mentioning subjugating tribes right next to the eastern coast
Maybe. I'm just bothered by the complete lack of corroborating evidence by Roman, Greek, Persian and Islamic sources mentioning all this

Maybe. I'm just bothered by the complete lack of corroborating evidence by Roman, Greek, Persian and Islamic sources mentioning all this
There are some Arabic/Islamic sources that speak about the invasions, we know Abraha tried to take Mecca and we have inscriptions from Arabia left by Abraha or his men that attest to them getting pretty close, so that verifies him conquering the south/western region of Saudi Arabia. Also there is a tradition that states Abraha marched towards Persia at one point but he quickly turned around, that indicates he probably held land in Arabia close to Persia

Honestly my main gripe with that map is how they mixed up multiple invasions. Abraham never claimed to have taken that much of the Red Sea coast, that was the Adulis king from the 3rd century.

Also they never held that much of Somalia or Nubia, the Arabia part might not be that far off tbh

There are some Arabic/Islamic sources that speak about the invasions, we know Abraha tried to take Mecca and we have inscriptions from Arabia left by Abraha or his men that attest to them getting pretty close, so that verifies him conquering the south/western region of Saudi Arabia. Also there is a tradition that states Abraha marched towards Persia at one point but he quickly turned around, that indicates he probably held land in Arabia close to Persia
Yeah southwestern Saudi Arabia was for sure conquered and while there might have been movement towards Persia, it was likely just that, movements. Expeditions thst yielded no conquests and served to raid or plunder from tribes and small villages.

Yeah southwestern Saudi Arabia was for sure conquered and while there might have been movement towards Persia, it was likely just that, movements. Expeditions thst yielded no conquests and served to raid or plunder from tribes and small villages.
Probably yeah but it’s too early to say either way imo. Simply not enough research or data on the topic.

I lean towards the side that he probably did conquer majority of Arabia or close to majority, as it’s believed Himyar was able to do it before Aksum did and the Arabian desert was largely filled with backwards nomads. Yemen was probably the most difficult part of Arabia to conquer, the rest was mostly devoid of civilisation but I’m not gonna die on that hill anyway, not enough data at this point in time.

@BidaarBoy I found this book that also believes that Aksum ruled over the western coast of Arabia but also stresses that Aksumites engaged in propaganda hence them not ruling over all of Nubia. And of course, nothing about them ruling the Persian Gulf or Niorthern and Central Arabia

aksumpng.png

And of course, nothing about them ruling the Persian Gulf or Niorthern and Central Arabia
Yeah that’s page you posted the is about the Adulis conquest, the author is calling it Aksumite but Adulis was a separate polity to Aksum at this time, and based on Sabean inscriptions we can date this Adulis conquest to the 3rd century. Abrahas conquest happened in the 6th, 2 completely different events.

The Adulis text actually mentions conquering Aksumites

Yeah that’s page you posted the is about the Adulis conquest, the author is calling it Aksumite but Adulis was a separate polity to Aksum at this time, and based on Sabean inscriptions we can date this Adulis conquest to the 3rd century. Abrahas conquest happened in the 6th, 2 completely different events.

The Adulis text actually mentions conquering Aksumites
Yep I remember you saying Adulis was a seperate entity.

Btw, do you know of any good Aksumite researchers? I'm trying to find the books Greg Fisher and Scott Fitzgerald

Trending

Latest posts