Aisha’s marriage.

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
This is a subject that has been bothering me for months. However, I have been able to rationally resolve issues that I wish to share with all of you.

To begin with, there is a minority opinion that Aisha was 19 years old at the age of marriage. I'm not sure about the legitimacy of this, but I also don't want to dismiss it. Arabs didn't keep good records of birthdates back then. They usually guess a person's age based on life events that occurred around that time.

In any case, my point of view is the commonly held one. Which has only recently become a point of contention in the last 50 years or so.

(I'll come back to this.)

Let us begin with the biological reality of the time. 1400 years ago, the average lifespan was around 30 years. Add to that the early Muslims' persecution, war, infant morality, and famine. In order for a society to reproduce, the age at which one could be considered an adult had to be much lower. It is not feasible for them to raise the consent age to 18 because by the time the average person is 18, they would be halfway through their life.

To be considered fit for marriage in Islam, a person must be both physically and mentally fit. Take note that there is no set age of consent, so it is up to an Islamic ruler to decide. I believe that because we live in privileged times, we mature at a much slower rate, and that the age of consent should be where it is.

Aisha was also recommended by her father and the angel Gabriel (which means Allah(SWT) ordered it because angels cannot act on their own volition).

Here are the average ages of women Mohammed(SAW) married.
  1. Khadijah’s Median Age = 40 years
  2. Sawdah’s Approximate Age = 40 years.
  3. Aisha’s Median Age = 9 years and 3 months.
  4. Hafsah’s Median Age = 19 years and 6 months.
  5. Zaynab bint Khuzayma’s Median Age = 28 years and 4 months.
  6. Hind’s Median Age = 28 years and 6 months.
  7. Zaynab bint Jahsh’s Median Age = 37 years and 2 months.
  8. Juwayriyah’s Median Age = 20 years and 0 months.
  9. Safiyah’s Age = 16 years and 6 months.
  10. Ramlah’s Median Age = 34 years and 7 months.
  11. Maymunah’s Median Age = 35 years and 2 months.
  12. Mulaykah’s Approximate Age = 13 years.
  13. Asma’s Maximum Age = 20 years.
  14. Amrah’s Approximate Age = 15 years.
  • Total Years = 343 years and 10 months.
  • Mean Age of Muhammad’s Brides = 24.56 years
The average age is 25. This trend does not show a man who has a sick pervasion of children. Many of these women were widows, elderly, or otherwise destitute and in need of his aide.

Back to my earlier point... this has only been a contentious issue in the last 50 years. Because it was the norm to marry young. It was done by almost everyone. I don't believe the majority of people back then were pedo’s because that would be an absurd assumption. So why do we remove all context when discussing Aisha's marriage?

Some may argue that Muhammad (SAW) was not meant to be an example for all humanity throughout history. Yes, he is... He married Aisha after they determined that she was mentally fit and healthy. This translates to the age of consent being fluid for the nation's condition. We live in luxury, so it's high, but in a war-torn country, it could be lowered. I am not an Islamic legislator, as you may be aware. So i cant say where it should be at any given time.

She was very intelligent and wrote many books about her life and Muhammad (saw) people parse through all of her works and find no evidence of abuse in her writings.

In Conclusion, There is a lot of context when added to the story make the marriage look ordinary however if we were just to rip it from its time and judge it with our modern standards it would look bad.

Garaad diinle

 
Marrying later in life was a luxury for the rich. Of course that's not to say that rich people didn't marry younger people but that they could afford to marry later since they had wealth access to food etc. At any case i really don't care much about this issue. When abu bakar al-sidiq رضي الله عنه were told that the prophet ﷺ went up to the havens and back he said i believe him and therefore he was called al-sidiq. As long as i know that allah swt is xaq and his prophet ﷺ is xaq nothing else matters to me tbf and i consider this a nicma from allah swt alhamdulillah. Speaking for myself i don't find the need for an explanation on this issue or any other smiliar issue.

Last edited:
Marrying later in life was a luxury for the rich. Of course that's not to say that rich people didn't marry younger people but that they could afford to marry later since they had wealth access to food etc. At any case i really don't care much about this issue. When abu bakar al-sidiq رضي الله عنه were told that the prophet ﷺ went up to the havens and back he said i believe him and therefore he was called al-sidiq. As long as i know that allah swt is xaq and his prophet ﷺ is xaq nothing else matters to me tbf and i consider this a nicma from allah swt alhamdulillah. Speaking for myself i don't find the need for an explanation on this issue or any other smiliar issue.
True but when it comes to giving dawah its really hard to do that when there are neanderthals with the same average brain cell activity as Chimps talking about "bUt YoUR pRophet iS a PeDofilE, hE maRriEd a ChiLd!!". To us Muslims, outside of curiosity, there is no value in focusing too hard on trying to understand it but with how we are confronted about it by people who oppose Islam, we find ourselves in a position where we are obliged to have to understand how to refute the arguments these people make and come with valid reasoning to defend Islam.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
She was 9 not 19. Age wasn’t a factor. Times back then really were different. Things change and they have changed. Muslims rulers are allowed to make laws that aren’t specified in Islam if it’s for better cohesion. Almost every Muslim country has laws against child marriage and age of consent. They’ve been doing that since the first calph. Times change and so do some rules. For example, men were allowed to marry woman of the book but under Caliph Omar ibn Khattab, he banned it during his time because it was against our interests.

During the same time 9 year old Aisha was getting married, there were 9 year old boys leading battles, if that puts it into perspective for you. Times really have changed and anyone who denies it needs help.

Internet Nomad

VIP
Im not gonna name anyone specific but they go around to non Muslims trying to please them by telling Prophet Muhammad married aisha at 18. Every scholar unanimously agreed if her age.
Yeah but its also a minority opinion. I don't wanna dismiss it even if i don't agree with it.
True but when it comes to giving dawah its really hard to do that when there are neanderthals with the same average brain cell activities as Chimps talking about "bUt YoUR pRophet iS a PeDofilE, hE maRriEd a ChiLd!!". To us Muslims, outside of curiosity, there is no value in focusing too hard on trying to understand it but with how we are confronted about it by people who oppose Islam, we find ourselves in a position where we are obliged to have to understand how to refute the arguments these people make and come with valid reasoning to defend Islam. I believe there is merit in us as Muslims discussing this because it helps us all with dealing with POS like that.
Tbh its a losing battle because they dont want to think of it critically. They just want to smear the phrophets name. Just send a link of this text to them and don't reply.

We as muslims need to have copy pastas ready for when a kaffir try's to say something you can instantly paste a well thought out refutation.

Internet Nomad

VIP
She was 9 not 19. Age wasn’t a factor. Times back then really were different. Things change and they have changed. Muslims rulers are allowed to make laws that aren’t specified in Islam if it’s for cohesion. They’ve been doing that since the first calph. Times change and so do some rules. For example, men were allowed to marry woman of the book but under Caliph Omar ibn Khattab, he banned it during his time because it was against our interests.

During the same time 9 year old Aisha was getting married, there were 9 year old boys leading battles, if that puts it into perspective for you. Times really have changed and anyone who denies it needs help.
Exactly i wrote that in my text. Boys were sent to fight in wars at the age of 16. The youngest person to fight in ww2 was 12. When society comes across hardship luxuries go away. One of those luxuries is a long childhood.

Internet Nomad

VIP
True but we need to help muslims who like myself struggled to piece this together.

Trending

Latest posts