African Hair Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
f*ck PC. I mean black folks from the rest of the Continent . So dont include North or East Africa.
Only pure negro coiled hair

Namibia is in South Africa and Ivory Coast is in West Africa. :ftw9nwa: The groups I showed are predominately SSA if not entirely. And why are you discounting that various African groups have their own customs/practices around hair care and maintainance outside of just Afros. At least be somewhat fairminded

Senegalese woman
Screenshot_20190330-181431.jpg

Magbentu people of the Congo
Screenshot_20190330-182152.jpg

Congolese tribe (N/A)
Elaborate_hairstyling%2C_Congo%2C_ca._1900-1915_%28IMP-CSCNWW33-OS11-13%29.jpg

Benin (non-mixed and West African)
edo-wedding_0019.jpg

Zulu woman - South Africa
Screenshot_20190330-181754.jpg

Cameroon
Screenshot_20190330-183342.jpg

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Fine, y'all are a bunch of whiney little shits. I'll post more type 3 hair (which is just as African!) then.
f5e20f4139a5bb8bc8b70ea1e9a48ea0.jpg

809eb79397006792962f5ddd0c73fd55--long-natural-hair-natural-curls.jpg

2969fdc1d3fc4dee597f2f2e84f0632a.jpg

e0bcaf1971e120edbae5339e0a7133e4.jpg

07ccb456e7987f4bb5a908734e9a5bea--naturally-long-curly-hair-big-curly-hair-natural.jpg

I honestly love curly type 3 hair. It's my hair type but I wanted to give more afro textured hair the spotlight for once.

My mom has natural type 2 hair. Your thread isn't inclusive enough :fantasia2:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
That’s an interesting perspective sis. I swear you’re one of the smarter people on this forum.

It’s true though, Somalis even hate their curly type 3 hair. I have that type of hair, and my mom used to call my hair Madow and perm it all the time. She never saw it as good as my sibling’s wavy hair and when she sees my hair not tied back she’ll make fun of it.

It’s all deeply rooted in anti-blackness. You can see many people here gaslighting my thread that’s appreciating the curly and kinky hair that Somalis possess. The self hate is real.

Thank you, sis. It's best to have a balanced view on this sort of thing. You're right, Somalis are texturist. Not specifically to men but mostly focusing on women.

Sorry to hear about the case with your mother. She probably didn't know how to manage type 3 hair. And Somalis have no filter.

My mother has type 2 hair. It tends to get oily easier than type 3 hair. I have 3a/b. And she was sort of clueless in that department. Alx, no negative comments.

However, there was one girl I knew who faced the brunt of it as she had type 4 a hair. Which they would try to relax. Because her mother and sisters didn't have that hair type and didn't know how to take care of it.

Luckily, they have various tutorials online for all hair types. My hair is low-medium density despite loose curls and I've always envied thickness (No matter the type).

I get that people have preferences but to deride people for having a different texture is totally unnecessary and infantile. How are they being different than the AAs (men in particular) they constantly criticize for this.:gaasdrink:

I would get the Namibian hairstyle for a wedding party. Simply art!

I know right, such craftswomanship. :nvjpqts:

Thank you, sis. It's best to have a balanced view on this sort of thing. You're right, Somalis are texturist. Not specifically to men but mostly focusing on women.

Sorry to hear about the case with your mother. She probably didn't know how to manage type 3 hair. And Somalis have no filter.

My mother has type 2 hair. It tends to get oily easier than type 3 hair. I have 3a/b. And she was sort of clueless in that department. Alx, no negative comments.

However, there was one girl I knew who faced the brunt of it as she had type 4 a hair. Which they would try to relax. Because her mother and sisters didn't have that hair type and didn't know how to take care of it.

Luckily, they have various tutorials online for all hair types. My hair is low-medium density despite loose curls and I've always envied thickness (No matter the type).

I get that people have preferences but to deride people for having a different texture is totally unnecessary and infantile. How are they being different than the AAs (men in particular) they constantly criticize for this.:gaasdrink:

I know right, such craftswomanship. :nvjpqts:
Yeah, for the longest time I thought I hate type 4 hair because my mom would always call it Madow simply for not being as soft/straight as my other siblings. After I got into the natural hair movement, I quickly realized how I definitely had type 3b hair, I just didn't know how to manage it.

Somalis don't know how to take care of timo wallahi. As a child my hair was brushed dry and only given an oil, so it was always poofy and had no curl pattern. After I started washing it differently and putting the right things in my hair, it now curls beautifully alhamdullilah.

I feel for the Xalimos with type 4 hair. I imagine it's even harder for them to deal with judgmental ass people. Perms destroy your hair.
:frdfvsb:

africans(all africans not we wuz kangz only) have diverse hair probably the most. I noticed that somalis hair change with age is there a correlation? my mother used to have 3a now its 2a lol very weird lost most of the curls, maybe I'll be like that too but Im in-between 3a/b

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Yeah, for the longest time I thought I hate type 4 hair because my mom would always call it Madow simply for not being as soft/straight as my other siblings. After I got into the natural hair movement, I quickly realized how I definitely had type 3b hair, I just didn't know how to manage it.

Somalis don't know how to take care of timo wallahi. As a child my hair was brushed dry and only given an oil, so it was always poofy and had no curl pattern. After I started washing it differently and putting the right things in my hair, it now curls beautifully alhamdullilah.

I feel for the Xalimos with type 4 hair. I imagine it's even harder for them to deal with judgmental ass people. Perms destroy your hair.
:frdfvsb:

Somalis are hair-illiterate when it comes to texture and what they do. :icon lol:Hooyos have been lazily using pink oil and hair food (or insert whatever go-to product) while (rigorously) braiding their kid's hair. :nahgirl: You had to discover what works for you.

Yeah, it must be tough. Just look at the male comments in this thread. :whoo:

psyche

To each their own
Don’t those indigene folks in Southern Africa have like type 5

There hair is definitely 4c, I've seen Souths Sudanese rock that hair style so it isn't a Khoisan specific hair type.
I have always wondered why some South Sudanese people wear their hair like that? It's quite grotesque in my opinion.

Somalis are hair-illiterate when it comes to texture and what they do. :icon lol:Hooyos have been lazily using pink oil and hair food (or insert whatever go-to product) while (rigorously) braiding their kid's hair. :nahgirl: You had to discover what works for you.

Yeah, it must be tough. Just look at the male comments in this thread. :whoo:
It's TRUE soft hair is preferred :farmajoyaab:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending