African Hair Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually disagree. Black women are embracing their hair in an unaltered state. Evidenced by the booming natural hair care industry. They are shelling out more money to keep their hair natural than they did before. I think thats a good thing for those interested in having a share of the market.

People irrespective of their hair texture should embrace what was given to them, be it limp and wavy or thick and coarse with all the gradients in between.

It's true that afro-textured hair is looked at unfavourably among Somalis as the most coiled hair of an Ethnic Somali is 4a, and most fall in the 3s and some in the 2s.

Nonetheless, the texture appreciation is warranted. As type 4 hair doesn't get much showcasing. It's less common (globally), more fragile and takes more time to take care of.

And is in some cases perceived as threatening by some. This goes against the recommendation people have for these girls to wear their hair as it was intended. Almost seems like gas lighting. :farmajoyaab:
Why does her title say african and only include nappy Madow hair. When in fact almost 30% of Africans dont have that type of hair. Plus all her pics include AA or mixed chicks. Why not show pics of zulu or gambella or Namibian or pure negros???

halwa

✨🌙
That is the average hair type within Somalis, sis. I’ve paid great attention to it. :ftw9nwa: embrace those beautiful curls. White people are always curling their hair. At least we have it easy and got it naturally.

@Suldaanka MashaAllah, but your beard must be of a different texture. More coarse and rough, innit?

Last edited:
I actually disagree. Black women are embracing their hair in an unaltered state. Evidenced by the booming natural hair care industry. They are shelling out more money to keep their hair natural than they did before. I think thats a good thing for those interested in having a share of the market.

People irrespective of their hair texture should embrace what was given to them, be it limp and wavy or thick and coarse with all the gradients in between.

It's true that afro-textured hair is looked at unfavourably among Somalis as the most coiled hair of an Ethnic Somali is 4a, and most fall in the 3s and some in the 2s.

Nonetheless, the texture appreciation is warranted. As type 4 hair doesn't get much showcasing. It's less common (globally), more fragile and takes more time to take care of.

And is in some cases perceived as threatening by some. This goes against the recommendation people have for these girls to wear their hair as it was intended. Almost seems like gas lighting. :farmajoyaab:
That’s an interesting perspective sis. I swear you’re one of the smarter people on this forum.

It’s true though, Somalis even hate their curly type 3 hair. I have that type of hair, and my mom used to call my hair Madow and perm it all the time. She never saw it as good as my sibling’s wavy hair and when she sees my hair not tied back she’ll make fun of it.

It’s all deeply rooted in anti-blackness. You can see many people here gaslighting my thread that’s appreciating the curly and kinky hair that Somalis possess. The self hate is real.

60fb94c32c49cf1e4afab3540cb3d58b.jpg
That is the average hair type within Somalis, sis. I’ve paid great attention it. :ftw9nwa: embrace those beautiful curls. White people are always curling their. At least we have it easy and got it naturally.

@Suldaanka MashaAllah, but your beard must be of a different texture. More coarse and rough, innit?
My beard is not as soft as my hair. But its beautiful curls not like Madows.
Similar to this both beard and hair

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
This post reeks of false pride, it's pitiful wallahi.

Nigerians/West Africans have more reasons to be proud of their nation(s) than you for your nation.

All of God's creation is beautiful warya.
all i said was that their rough haired and dont get me started on Nigeria
first of all their capital city Lagos means lake in Portuguese notice the similarity with the english lake
the words are both ultimately of Latin origin

their cities where built by Portuguese not mines :lolbron:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Why does her title say african and only include nappy Madow hair. When in fact almost 30% of Africans dont have that type of hair. Plus all her pics include AA or mixed chicks. Why not show pics of zulu or gambella or Namibian or pure negros???

You mean purely South Saharan African (SSA). Let's be politically correct for a moment. :francis:

Good point, let's show natural hair styles of those with more coiled hair from the continent.

:westbrookswag: Something tribal.

Namibia (Mbalantu woman)
braided.jpg

Ivory Coast
hair4lg.jpg

Southern Ethiopian - Dassanech tribe
59c8fbfaac4eaab20779e30950479811.png

Rwandan - Tutsi
55c8a8f6fed4c76b355323b22c603bae.jpg

You mean purely South Saharan African (SSA). Let's be politically correct for a moment. :francis:

Good point, let's show natural hair styles of those with more coiled hair from the continent.

Namibia (Mbalantu woman)
braided.jpg

Ivory Coast woman
hair4lg.jpg

Rwandan - Tutsi
f*ck PC. I mean black folks from the rest of the Continent . So dont include North or East Africa.
Only pure negro coiled hair

halwa

✨🌙

Namibia (Mbalantu woman)
braided.jpg

Ivory Coast
hair4lg.jpg

Rwandan - Tutsi

I would get the Namibian hairstyle for a wedding party. Simply art!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts