African countries by Nominal GDP 2017 (IMF October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GDP (PPP) purchasing power parity
Africa 5,736,700
23px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png
Nigeria 1,192.00
23px-Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png
Egypt 995.97
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png
South Africa 724.01
4 Algeria 570.64
5 Morocco 274.53
6 Angola 185.25
23px-Flag_of_Sudan.svg.png
Sudan 167.42
23px-Flag_of_Ethiopia.svg.png
Ethiopia 159.22
23px-Flag_of_Tanzania.svg.png
Tanzania 150.4
23px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png
Kenya 143.05
11 Tunisia 127.21
12 Ghana 113.35
13 Libya 92.88
23px-Flag_of_Uganda.svg.png
Uganda 79.75
15 Ivory Coast 78.34
16 Cameroon 72.11
17 Zambia 64.65
18 Democratic Republic of the Congo 63.27
19 Botswana 37.16
20 Senegal 36.30
21 Madagascar 35.56
22 Gabon 34.41
23 Chad 33.73
24 Mozambique 32.00
25 Burkina Faso 31.18
26 Mali 29.15
27 Zimbabwe 28.90
28 Republic of the Congo 27.92
29Equatorial Guinea 25.94
30 Mauritius 24.84
31Namibia 24.51
32 Benin 21.16
33 Malawi 20.56
23px-Flag_of_Rwanda.svg.png
Rwanda 20.32
35 Niger 18.96
36 Mauritania 16.43
37 Guinea 15.28
38 Swaziland 10.87
39 Togo 10.82
40 Eritrea 7.94
41 Burundi 7.88
23px-Flag_of_Somalia.svg.png
Somalia 5.90
43 Lesotho 5.78
44 Gambia 3.27

At purchasing power it is useless to compare economies. Acording to PPP stats China would have already surpassed the US as the largest economy of the world.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
It is not the size of nominal GDP that matters but GDP per capita and other indices such as Transparency International fight against corruption. Big economies fell in this respect. I would take Somalia's per capita income over Nigeria's any day.

It is not the size of nominal GDP that matters but GDP per capita and other indices such as Transparency International fight against corruption. Big economies fell in this respect. I would take Somalia's per capita income over Nigeria's any day.

He did not post per capita income, he posted GDP size in terms of PPP. I simply stated when it comes to GDP size, nominal is the realistic measure. But speaking about per capita, do you know what per capita income is in Somalia?

In terms of corruption, it is better to live in a very corrupt country with money than a country with no corruption but no money.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
He did not post per capita income, he posted GDP size in terms of PPP. I simply stated when it comes to GDP size, nominal is the realistic measure. But speaking about per capita, do you know what per capita income is in Somalia?

In terms of corruption, it is better to live in a very corrupt country with money than a country with no corruption but no money.

Officially it is about $600 to $800. Unofficially I'd estimate it north of a $1,000, higher than Ethiopia's ($620) much hyped double digit growth rate in the last 10 years.

Officially it is about $600 to $800. Unofficially I'd estimate it north of a $1,000, higher than Ethiopia's ($620) much hyped double digit growth rate in the last 10 years.
Lol At guesstimating. You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about. Ethiopias gdp per capita is 800-900 without even taking into account purchasing power (1200) , while Somalia’s is 400 and even lower if you look at PPP.

Last edited:
At purchasing power it is useless to compare economies. Acording to PPP stats China would have already surpassed the US as the largest economy of the world.
purchasing power is a good indicator of stength of the country’s currency and its affordability. Would a poor person rather live in a country with a higher gdp per capita but lower PPP (if the gdp capita isn’t drastically different)? They would rather go with the country with a higher PPP.

Last edited:

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Lol At guesstimating. You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about. Ethiopias gdp per capita is 800-900 without even taking into account purchasing power (1200) , while Somalia’s is 400 and even lower if you look at PPP.

Ethiopia underperfroms most of East Africa in per capita gdp PPP.
According to a World Bank study released this month Somalia's average nominal per capita GDP was $708 in 2016, while Ethiopia's was $706.
27 years of war and 27 years of peace.

:mjlol:

Ethiopia underperfroms most of East Africa in per capita gdp PPP.
According to a World Bank study released this month Somalia's average nominal per capita GDP was $708 in 2016, while Ethiopia's was $706.
27 years of war and 27 years of peace.

:mjlol:
The GDP per Capita, in Ethiopia, when adjusted by Purchasing Power Parity is equivalent to 9 percent of the world's average. GDP per capita PPP in Ethiopia averaged 841.61 USD from 1990 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 1608.30 USD in 2016 and a record low of 514.80 USD in 1992.

http://www.multpl.com/somalia-gdp-per-capita
434(2016)

6billion dollars/15million people=400
No way around it.

Ps 90% of Somalia’s economy is refugee money
:gucciwhat:

And Ethiopia lags behind in development because Europeans did not build our country up like the rest. That’s all in the past anyways, we are taking over.

hhhhhh so take your rates over those of the IMF ? XD what makes you think Ethiopias unofficial per capita, in your estimation is lower than that of somalia. besides, you were talking about nigeria...

purchasing power is a good indicator of stength of the country’s currency and its affordability. Would a poor person rather live in a country with a higher gdp per capita but lower PPP (if the gdp capita isn’t drastically different)? They would rather go with the country with a higher PPP.

country with higher GDP nominal per capita over that with higher PPP anyday. like I said before, PPP is a useless indicator

The GDP per Capita, in Ethiopia, when adjusted by Purchasing Power Parity is equivalent to 9 percent of the world's average. GDP per capita PPP in Ethiopia averaged 841.61 USD from 1990 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 1608.30 USD in 2016 and a record low of 514.80 USD in 1992.

http://www.multpl.com/somalia-gdp-per-capita
434(2016)

6billion dollars/15million people=400
No way around it.

Ps 90% of Somalia’s economy is refugee money
:gucciwhat:

And Ethiopia lags behind in development because Europeans did not build our country up like the rest. That’s all in the past anyways, we are taking over.

In accordance with the world bank, Ethiopia counts amongst the low income country group because it has a GDP per capita of below $1,005

Countries lik Djibouti and Mauritania rank higher and richer than Ethiopia because hey have a higher ''nominal'' per capita. Like I said, nobody cares abou PPP per capita. Even you own government, recognises GDP nominal only.

''In an ambitious bid to achieve the status of a middle-income country by 2025, the government has developed an extensive blueprint for progress — its Growth and Transformation Plan 2015-2020 — which has prioritised the development of agriculture.''.
https://www.ft.com/content/796e4fe4-6554-11e7-9a66-93fb352ba1fe

So your own government uses GDP nominal and aims to be middle income by only 2025, yet your here boasting with PPP figures that nobody, not even your own government care about. Talking about taking over and shit lmao.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Ethiopia's with its relative peace is compared to strife-torn Somalia. Not a good sign for Ethiopia, but a great testament to Somalia's innovation and entrepreneurship.

PPP is a useless indicator of a country's gdp. It is limited in scope in its efficacy in monetary policy, including trade policy. Absolutely little to no affect in fiscal policy. I can give you 10 or more examples of why I can shoot down PPP. I will just give you two examples: It fails to take into consideration the elasticities of reciprocal demand and it fails to consider capital movement. Habashi, that should be your schooling for the day.

Khalumi, Ethiopia's number is official gdp. IMF does not take in to account the underground economy in Somalia. Tell me the last time tax, sales receipts were collected from goods and services produced in Somalia...all estimation.

Last edited:
In accordance with the world bank, Ethiopia counts amongst the low income country group because it has a GDP per capita of below $1,005

Countries lik Djibouti and Mauritania rank higher and richer than Ethiopia because hey have a higher ''nominal'' per capita. Like I said, nobody cares abou PPP per capita. Even you own government, recognises GDP nominal only.

''In an ambitious bid to achieve the status of a middle-income country by 2025, the government has developed an extensive blueprint for progress — its Growth and Transformation Plan 2015-2020 — which has prioritised the development of agriculture.''.
https://www.ft.com/content/796e4fe4-6554-11e7-9a66-93fb352ba1fe

So your own government uses GDP nominal and aims to be middle income by only 2025, yet your here boasting with PPP figures that nobody, not even your own government care about. Talking about taking over and shit lmao.
I can agree that PPP should only be used when comparing GDP per capita.

Let’s take Ethiopia and Kenya for expample, let’s say nominal per capita is 1k and 2k respectively. A quick thought would lead you to think that the average person in Kenya would be wealthier than the other. Once you take a look at PPP per capita, this notion changes. PPP measures how far a dollar will go for a person in each country, meaning it gauges the living cost of each country. So 1k in Ethiopia will allow for someone to get by while 2k in Kenya will not be sufficient. So it’s perfectly adequate to measure per capita in PPP especially when comparing standards between similar countries. You also have to keep in mind the distribution of wealth, a country like Kenya with high income inequality will have a real average further than the estimated unlike a country which has fairer distribution.

I can agree that PPP should only be used when comparing GDP per capita.

Let’s take Ethiopia and Kenya for expample, let’s say nominal per capita is 1k and 2k respectively. A quick thought would lead you to think that the average person in Kenya would be wealthier than the other. Once you take a look at PPP per capita, this notion changes. PPP measures how far a dollar will go for a person in each country, meaning it gauges the living cost of each country. So 1k in Ethiopia will allow for someone to get by while 2k in Kenya will not be sufficient. So it’s perfectly adequate to measure per capita in PPP especially when comparing standards between similar countries. You also have to keep in mind the distribution of wealth, a country like Kenya with high income inequality will have a real average further than the estimated unlike a country which has fairer distribution.

what you saying doesn't make sense and the quality of life in kenya is far higher then that in Ethiopia. Like I said again, PPP is a useless indicator and therefore the world bank uses ''nominal'' figures to determine income levels. Even your own government uses nominal measures, not fake and useless PPP measures. at PPP China would already have surpassed the US as largest economy in the world.

Ethiopia's with its relative peace is compared to strife-torn Somalia. Not a good sign for Ethiopia, but a great testament to Somalia's innovation and entrepreneurship.

PPP is a useless indicator of a country's gdp. It is limited in scope in its efficacy in monetary policy, including trade policy. Absolutely little to no affect in fiscal policy. I can give you 10 or more examples of why I can shoot down PPP. I will just give you two examples: It fails to take into consideration the elasticities of reciprocal demand and it fails to consider capital movement. Habashi, that should be your schooling for the day.

Khalumi, Ethiopia's number is official gdp. IMF does not take in to account the underground economy in Somalia. Tell me the last time tax, sales receipts were collected from goods and services produced in Somalia...all estimation.

what makes you think it takes into account the so called ''underground'' economy in other african nations? Somalia is estimated at $6.11 billion while Ethiopia is nearly $80 billion.

Overall I bet Somalia, after just 5 years of peace would leave Ethiopia in the dust. 27 years of war and we are 90% at par with Ethiopia in income level lmao

what you saying doesn't make sense and the quality of life in kenya is far higher then that in Ethiopia. Like I said again, PPP is a useless indicator and therefore the world bank uses ''nominal'' figures to determine income levels. Even your own government uses nominal measures, not fake and useless PPP measures. at PPP China would already have surpassed the US as largest economy in the world.
If you can’t grasp what I’ve wrote than there’s nothing further to discuss.
Overall I bet Somalia, after just 5 years of peace would leave Ethiopia in the dust. 27 years of war and we are 90% at par with Ethiopia in income level lmao
Currently you’re at 50%. Somalia will be tapped out when the next generation doesn’t send the remit. Either way, we've averaged good growth and will continue to sustain that for another projected 20 years. Imiagine most of the infrastructure projects will be operational by 2020, I’m estimating that nominal growth will be around 10-15% . Imiagine exponential growth for decades...

There’s no catching up.

If you can’t grasp what I’ve wrote than there’s nothing further to discuss.

Currently you’re at 50%. Somalia will be tapped out when the next generation doesn’t send the remit. Either way, we've averaged good growth and will continue to sustain that for another projected 20 years. Imiagine most of the infrastructure projects will be operational by 2020, I’m estimating that nominal growth will be around 10-15% . Imiagine exponential growth for decades...

There’s no catching up.

what you wrote was as clear as a mouse in an ocean.....

50% of what? is getting random figures out your only way out?? your here talking as if Ethiopia is the next superpower when in reality it is classed by the world bank and your ''own government'' as a low income country. who are you trying to fool? your here claiming per capita above a thousand when in reality the IMF is saying that its only $860 LMFAO XD you really expecting us to take your word over those of the IMF , world bank and your own government???

The IMF estimates you nominal per capita to reach $1,200 in 2022. Now I am sorry, but there is nothing to boast about. You have been at peace all this time and you are still next with Somalia. So many countries have smaller populations than Ethiopia and they still have a larger GDP than Ethiopia :O shame! You have a population of just over 100 million and you still lagging behind. one would think of the way you speak that ethiopia is a rich heaven whne in reality its just another Congo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending