Afartan Bax and Wanqal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeesto

VIP
I was going through some old family photos when i stumbled across pictures of me on my Afartan Bax and Wanqal days:siilaanyosmile:
Did any y'all had Afartran Bax horta?:cosbyhmm: How wide spread is the Afartan Bax tradition in other Somali regions other than the North(SL, DJ, SG)?

To all you married people with children and @Gambar miyaad samayseen?:hmm:

Last edited:

Madaxkuti

FieldMarshalMadaxkuti
If your talking about the celebration thing when a baby is 40 days old then yes I`ve seen photos of me and people celebrating.
But whats wanqal?

Jeesto

VIP
If your talking about the celebration thing when a baby is 40 days old then yes I`ve seen photos of me and people celebrating.
But whats wanqal?
Wanqal(literally means the slaughter of a ram) is the ceremony held some days after a child is born(7th day for boys and 3rd day for girls(?)). A ram is slaughtered as a celebration of the addition of the child to the family and as an expression of thanks to GOD. A name is given/chosen to/for the child right after the ram is slaughtered and families and relatives(even neighbours) gather to celebrate this special occassion later on tha day

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
No galgaduud Baan ka soo jeeda.
afartan bax xaa waaye? Marka ilmuhu afartan maalmood gaaro maa wax lagu sameeyaa?

It's a dumb thing where a women who has given birth is not allowed to go out for any reason or do any house chores (I guess because somali women use to die so much during childbirth? Ionno) on the 40th day she and the child can see the sun. There's a little party (I guess to mark the survival?) lolol

It's done in every region but It's a very embarrassing tradition. Very peculiar.

It's a dumb thing where a women who has given birth is not allowed to go out for any reason or do any house chores (I guess because somali women use to die so much during childbirth? Ionno) on the 40th day she and the child can see the sun. There's a little party (I guess to mark the survival?) lolol

It's done in every region but It's a very embarrassing tradition. Very peculiar.
That is very peculiar never seen/heard of it before.
so no sun light for 39 days? that feels like a punishment for giving birth.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
That is very peculiar never seen/heard of it before.
so no sun light for 39 days? that feels like a punishment for giving birth.

Not do much sun light but they don't even step outside for fresh air. I remember this from when my aunt gave birth to my cousin. I couldn't take her outside. but I guess geeljires were fed up with countless children dying so they took no risks. :ftw9nwa:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending