Af Somali Database

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Af Somali is a language that has been for far too long neglected. Its own people view it with little regard,leaving a rich and beautiful language on life support. I wish today that this breakdown of Af Somali is but a stepping stone to not only revive but establish Af Somali beyond Somaliwayn. For Af Somali to reach the state where we can conduct experimentation,record keeping,journals as well as Islamic sciences and philosophy, It will require a re-arrangement and organisation of it.

Among the things that are needed are Somali words for scientific words and terminology. This is a basic start up and will expound on the vocabulary steadily. One thing ive noticed while trying to replicate the 3 letter Arabic transmutation is that with Af Somali, ive noticed that Somali words which are 5 characters or more have a repetitive vowel, although there are exceptions.

For example, we will start AA(Double vowels are a major characteristic of Af Somali). When using the double vowel start AA the word can not end in that same letter except for EE. They must end with E or O. EE vowel must always end in E or it will be a foreign sound. Af Somali is suffix type language. The emphasis is on the end word. Somali words must in E,C,X in 3/4 letter words. In 5 letter words, there is atleast two singular vowels, usually as the second and fourth letter such as A and A etr.
AA-BE- Cushitic
AA-BO- Cushitic
AA-BA- Semitic

EE-LA- Semitic
EE-BE- Cushitic

With the application of the 4 letter Cushitic structure, we can make a new lot of Somali words and also turn Foreign words in Somali words to the point where no one would able to notice it was transformed. This structure requires a double vowel start followed by a consonant and ending with a singular vowel. If a 5 letter word starts with a consonant and followed by a double vowel, it must end with a consonant.

Some words we can use instead of loanwords that are Somali
Sakal-class
Manashaad- day to day necessities
Hulaad-battle,campaign

These are a few of what I remember, I don't the notebook in which I wrote all the new words I made to replace loanwords or add new words

@Mighty @Apollo @Factz @CaliTedesse @Pastoralite @Cauli @Abdurahman_somali @government @Lolalola @Timo Madow and proud @Crow @Karim @Whimsical fanatic @The alchemist @Aladdin @Nin-culus @Hayaay @Bohol @Abdisamad3 @Abdi-indhoyare @World @Kanini @Ugaaso @geeljire madaxweyne @Geeljire sanbuur @Geeljire lotus

Last edited:
I agree with you sxb but I disagree with your methods one thing that made English a global language it's ability to take from other languages and use it as part of it's own all language revision does is that it delays progress in the language languages are meant to borrow from each other naturally I don't like when humans interfere with language development it just makes a huge mess

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
I agree with you sxb but I disagree with your methods one thing that made English a global language it's ability to take from other languages and use it as part of it's own all language revision does is that it delays progress in the language languages are meant to borrow from each other naturally I don't like when humans interfere with language development it just makes a huge mess
I know where your coming from sxb. Im of the opinion that we should take a word for example litmus and then Somalify the word to fit the language rather than leaving as it is

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Af Somali is a language that has been for far too long neglected. Its own people view it with little regard,leaving a rich and beautiful language on life support. I wish today that this breakdown of Af Somali is but a stepping stone to not only revive but establish Af Somali beyond Somaliwayn. For Af Somali to reach the state where we can conduct experimentation,record keeping,journals as well as Islamic sciences and philosophy, It will require a re-arrangement and organisation of it.

Among the things that are needed are Somali words for scientific words and terminology. This is a basic start up and will expound on the vocabulary steadily. One thing ive noticed while trying to replicate the 3 letter Arabic transmutation is that with Af Somali, ive noticed that Somali words which are 5 characters or more have a repetitive vowel, although there are exceptions.

For example, we will start AA(Double vowels are a major characteristic of Af Somali). When using the double vowel start AA the word can not end in that same letter except for EE. They must end with E or O. EE vowel must always end in E or it will be a foreign sound. Af Somali is suffix type language. The emphasis is on the end word. Somali words must in E,C,X in 3/4 letter words. In 5 letter words, there is atleast two singular vowels, usually as the second and fourth letter such as A and A etr.
AA-BE- Cushitic
AA-BO- Cushitic
AA-BA- Semitic

EE-LA- Semitic
EE-BE- Cushitic

With the application of the 4 letter Cushitic structure, we can make a new lot of Somali words and also turn Foreign words in Somali words to the point where no one would able to notice it was transformed. This structure requires a double vowel start followed by a consonant and ending with a singular vowel. If a 5 letter word starts with a consonant and followed by a double vowel, it must end with a consonant.

Sakal-class
Hulaad-battle,campaign

These are a few of what I remember, I don't the notebook in which I wrote all the new words I made to replace loanwords or add new words

@Mighty @Apollo @Factz @CaliTedesse @Pastoralite @Cauli @Abdurahman_somali @government @Lolalola @Timo Madow and proud @Crow @Karim @Whimsical fanatic @The alchemist @Aladdin @Nin-culus @Hayaay @Bohol @Abdisamad3 @Abdi-indhoyare @World @Kanini @Ugaaso @geeljire madaxweyne @Geeljire sanbuur @Geeljire lotus
damm sahib we might have a position for you as the scholar of somalispot along with the historian of somalispot @Factz and the genetisist of somalispot @Apollo
congratz :gaasdrink:

anyhow i agree with simalifying new words for new inventions like the computer or in somali komputer or the television in somali tviga or just tv , in other words we can just somalify or just use a somali words for these words

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
damm sahib we might have a position for you as the scholar of somalispot along with the historian of somalispot @Factz and the genetisist of somalispot @Apollo
congratz :gaasdrink:

anyhow i agree with simalifying new words for new inventions like the computer or in somali komputer or the television in somali tviga or just tv , in other words we can just somalify or just use a somali words for these words
Thanks sxb:salute:

AA-BE- Cushitic
AA-BO- Cushitic
AA-BA- Semitic

EE-LA- Semitic
EE-BE- Cushitic

Sakal-class
Hulaad-battle,campaign

This thread has expiated for all of your sins for the remainder of the day.

Excellenet job @Samaalic Era

Somali is a developed language you have to give credit to the administration of MSB, which introduced many new Somali words in every field of science. Here are some Somali words, which we barely use:

1) Electrician = Korantoyaqaan

2) Industry= Sancada

3) Energy (The phyiscal energy) = tabar, xoog

4) Gravity = Jiidato

5) Horizontal = Hor u eeg

6) Mechanical = Sanco ahaan

7) Natural = Dhalan

8) Museum = Guriga hiddaha, matfax

9) Technology= Farsamo aqoon

10) Statistics= Natiijo - aqoon

(This is a list of 1972, where 18 ministries compiled a list of new Somali words )

We have single dictionaries for different sciences like biology, chemistry or mathematics. The lack of words is not the problem, but that our people don't know and don't use them.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Somali is a developed language you have to give credit to the administration of MSB, which introduced many new Somali words in every field of science. Here are some Somali words, which we barely use:

2) Industry= Sancada

4) Gravity = Jiidato

7) Natural = Dhalan

(This is a list of 1972, where 18 ministries compiled a list of new Somali words )

We have single dictionaries for different sciences like biology, chemistry or mathematics. The lack of words is not the problem, but that our people don't know and don't use them.

Siad Barre did play his part but the work was quickly undone. We need shorter,simpler words for deep concepts. It is why many countries left their native script for the Latin script

Mighty

If wars can be started with lies, so can peace.
I'm kinda into philosophy and have observed how hard it's to convey philosophy in somali. Lately I have been struggling to find the word will in somali and come to think of it, idm as in hadi alle idmo does mean the same thing but I have never heard someone use it out of that context.
Alle baa idmay = God willed it.
Dadku ma laha idm xor ah= People dont possess free will.
I think it works fine in some context but sounds strange in some.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
I'm kinda into philosophy and have observed how hard it's to convey philosophy in somali. Lately I have been struggling to find the word will in somali and come to think of it, idm as in hadi alle idmo does mean the same thing but I have never heard someone use it out of that context.
Alle baa idmay = God willed it.
Dadku ma laha idm xor ah= People dont possess free will.
I think it works fine in some context but sounds strange in some.
Many times, its the word order that can complicate things and obstructs the flow. Try and keep on re-arranging the words till you get something that sounds right. I had the same problem aswell.

Somali is Subject-Object-Verb in word order. Also, try translate a text that inspires you. It will help alot and increase your skills

2) Industry= Sancada

4) Gravity = Jiidato

7) Natural = Dhalan

Just letting you know sancaad is a loan word to being with

Trending